Decatur, GA First-timers

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Dobonian
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: HOVerlandia

Decatur, GA First-timers

Post by Dobonian » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:38 pm

Just doing what the section says--introducing selves. We're a 55yo couple, and we're planning to go to the 2014 Burning Man. Total newbies to this and still trying to figure it all out. Currently we expect we'll fly to Reno and rent some sort of vehicle. Aside from that we're pretty vague, but we're studying the First Timer's Guide and all that good stuff and I'll try not to ask ALL the stupid questions right off the bat.

We've traveled quite a bit, to places as far-flung as Japan, Jordan, Greece, and Chile, but this will be our first attempt at radical self-reliance. Unless navigating the Tokyo Metro at rush hour counts.

[Blatant search bait: Decatur, Georgia, is right outside Atlanta, in the Southeast of the USA. Just in case any other local newbs are searching the board for fellow-travelers.]
The Way is not the way, but you can park there and walk the rest of the way.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Re: Decatur, GA First-timers

Post by Elliot » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:46 pm

:D
Welcome Mr. and Mrs. Dobonian!
Question: Do Japanese "salary men" still travel to work in their underpants, to avoid wrinkling their uniforms business suits?

Sounds like you are doing well with preparations. Don't forget to sign up for Jack Rabbit Speaks -- the e-mail newsletter.

What are you considering contributing to the event -- art, services.... Of course, don't overcommit your first year.

Raoul
Camp Name: Honest MiSteak

Post by Raoul » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:52 pm

Welcome to ePlaya and good luck with your preparations. I'm a newbie also. There is so much to digest, and many questions will come up. All the Burners to whom I have spoken (here on ePlaya and elsewhere) have been very helpful and willing to share their experiences.

I lived in Atlanta for many years, and the dry heat of Black Rock City should be a nice reprieve from the heat and humidity of the South in August.
"No problem is ever solved in the same consciousness that was used to create it." --Albert Einstein

Honest MiSteak: 2018
Hookah Lounge\Black Rock Power Co-op: 2014 - 2017

Dobonian

Post by Dobonian » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:03 pm

Elliot--

Never saw anyone on the Metro or the Shinkansen in their underwear in six visits to Japan over 8 years, although I heard stories about both before we ever visited there. What I did notice: women in black-watch-tartan hot pants, patterned tights, and go-go boots; and men in one-size-too-small business suits and cowboy boots two sizes too large, so the toes curl up.

Still haven't figured out what to gift, but at least it's a subheading in my plan, under "Being There," along with "Shelter" and "Food & Drink." Not much of a visual artist, although I am a writer and sometimes poet. Wife's a damned good photographer. We'll figure something out.

And thanks for the rec, but I'd already signed up for Jackrabbit Speaks, and signed on to my region's regional mailing list, too!

Dobonian

Post by Dobonian » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:10 pm

Pozer--

Thanks for the well-wishes! We did a raft-in, hike-out Grand Canyon trip last year and got a foretaste of high-altitude dry heat. Very unfamiliar to a native New Orleanian! But at least I've already learned the all-important hydration lesson.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:56 pm

Just don't bring much trinkets and Stuff to gift. Give of yourselves -- time, talent etc. :D

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:55 am

Hola and hello...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Return to “The Greeter's Station”