Burner newbie from NYC... woot woot!! :)

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
MichelleMaBelle
Burning Since: 2014

Burner newbie from NYC... woot woot!! :)

Post by MichelleMaBelle » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:12 pm

Hi everyone! It's great to find and read through what's been posted by this community. I have been hearing about burning man from my friends that have gone the last couple years, and suddenly something clicked and I can't wait to go, too!! My birthday is Aug 24th and I can't think of a better way to celebrate being in my mid-30s. :)

I grew up in Rochester, NY and currently live in Manhattan, but I was born in CA and have lived in Holland, Israel, the Caribbean, Ithaca NY, Illinois, and New Mexico (not in that order, lol). I used to backpack when I was growing up and I love camping, though this definitely takes things to a whole 'nother level. I love costumes and music and dance and art, but then again, so do most others that do this (which is awesome). I have been skydiving and scuba diving and water rafting and rappelling, I ski pretty much every weekend during the winter, and I love adventure. I am responsible and I absolutely understand the need for leave no trace and no MOOP. I'm a veterinarian and I love my career (though please no shop talk, I'd appreciate it)! I was previously in a 7-year relationship all through college and into vet school, and then more recently a 5-year relationship which included my boyfriend's full custody of his 2 teenage daughters... I have to admit I'm relieved that's done. So I'm currently just enjoying life and all the fun it has to offer!

I'm grateful I have some close friends that can show me the ropes, though still a bit intimidated... in an exciting way! One of the biggest hurdles is probably getting the time off work, which I think I managed to do today, yay!! Thanks in advance for the welcome and the help you guys offer. :)
-Michelle

9ah
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Re: Burner newbie from NYC... woot woot!! :)

Post by 9ah » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:46 pm

Welcome to eplaya. Be sure to get added to the NYC list and check out local events, if you haven't.
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?

MichelleMaBelle
Burning Since: 2014

Post by MichelleMaBelle » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:00 pm

Thanks, 9ah! I was just trying to figure that out. Are you referring to the email mailing lists -- the announce vs discussion lists?

9ah
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by 9ah » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:14 pm

Discuss... I will warn you That it is pretty active.
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:42 pm

Welcome, Michelle! :D
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:03 pm

Hi! Welcome to ePlaya!
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Return to “The Greeter's Station”