First Year! Feeling Overwhelmed

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
shanrc_1
Burning Since: 2014

Re: First Year! Feeling Overwhelmed

Postby shanrc_1 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:32 pm

BoyScoutGirl, are you in San Diego? My friend Diego that is hopefully coming when we locate tickets is also out there! :) He was looking for some Burner groups to participate in, do you know of any?

FossaFerox
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Postby FossaFerox » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:59 pm

Seconding the recommendation to not watch videos or look at too many pics. Going in blind but well prepared will set you up to have your mind blown in person again and again rather than simply being all "Oh, I recognize that octopus" when it-- ...does the thing that it does. You'll know it when you see it. :D
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

Shoeshine
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp DIY

Postby Shoeshine » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:28 pm

Hey Shan,

There are a fair number of burner groups in San Diego, There is a M&G at redwing bar in north park every Tues., we even have a mini burn after the fact called Youtopia @ the La Jolla reservation.
https://www.facebook.com/sandiegoburners
http://regionals.burningman.com/regiona ... san-diego/

I can not imagine you do not have a burner group or two in OC as well.

But I will also second the recommendation to not look at too many vids/galleries (not that I followed my own advice)
Read all you can though... Survival guide IS required reading... and I mean the whole thing.
The burner groups are best (IMHO) when you are back, psyched for next year, want to participate more, missing the event.
Give yourself a pass for the first year, cover your basic survival/comfort, and maybe volunteer for a couple of shifts at one of the many community undertakings (Artica, Lamplighters, etc..)

last but not least, don't stress too hard about tickets. The past few years that it has sold out, everyone and their brother buys tickets because "better to have them" right?
as the event nears, many find that life gets in the way, and most if not damn near all sell them back to the community at face value. You have to be ready to go though, even if the last of 3 tickets happens 2 weeks before the burn.

Cheers
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

bluemiragemi
Camp Name: Pretty Pickle

Postby bluemiragemi » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:30 am

Same here! first year. It IS overwhelming. As i'm sure you've done already, read the survival guide. Then, read all the eplaya posts on things you're interested in. Remember to scale it back :) For a shower this year, I'm not bothering with the solar concept...I'm gonna do cat baths with baby wipes and some water and a bin in my tent, as needed. Welcome, welcome!
~ Em

bluemiragemi
Camp Name: Pretty Pickle

Postby bluemiragemi » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:34 am

FossaFerox wrote:You've got 180 days until you need to leave (assuming you're spending the night in Reno on Saturday and driving in Sunday, though this isn't mandatory, just "nice") which gives you 25 project weekends left to figure out your tents, shade, food, water, transportation, wardrobe (including goggles/masks), and personal lighting. Most everything else is optional. It's really not that bad.

OMG. OMG. Only 25 weekends. That seems like a short time :) :coffee:
~ Em

peyote2004
Burning Since: 2017

Postby peyote2004 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:54 am

bluemiragemi wrote:
FossaFerox wrote:You've got 180 days until you need to leave (assuming you're spending the night in Reno on Saturday and driving in Sunday, though this isn't mandatory, just "nice") which gives you 25 project weekends left to figure out your tents, shade, food, water, transportation, wardrobe (including goggles/masks), and personal lighting. Most everything else is optional. It's really not that bad.

OMG. OMG. Only 25 weekends. That seems like a short time :) :coffee:

When you break it down to the number of weekends, it sure isn't that far away; especially if you think of how many weekends you might have other commitments for.

We're down to 24 weekends, and I already know at least 3 of those I'll be camping, and there's a couple more that I have so much going on that I figure I'll be lucky if I have 18 good weekends to work on stuff :shock:
--
Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday... now you know why.

FossaFerox
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Postby FossaFerox » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:03 pm

A weekend is a hell of a long time, though. I tend to work 4-5 hours each day on the weekend and still had plenty of time to get stuff done if we buckled down. Our shade and camp furniture each took one weekend a pop. Lighting my bike and backpack took a day. Making my vest took one weekend... How many projects are you people working on for this year? Or are you going to fret about there only being 24 left since you plan on spending the first 20 procrastinating? :P
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

Monkeystyle
Camp Name: Morning Cock n' Tales

Postby Monkeystyle » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:25 pm

FossaFerox wrote: or are you going to fret about there only being 24 left since you plan on spending the first 20 procrastinating? :P

Who told you my secret plan???

Wigwam
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: The Wanderers

Postby Wigwam » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:55 am

Hi. I'm in LA. I can help you decide what you need. I'm sure you've heard, but read the survival guide.
The truth is more important than the facts.
I'm not an actor, but I've played one on TV.

gyre

Postby gyre » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:06 am

shanrc_1 wrote:Thanks! How longwas the drive from vancouver? Its 12 hours from Orange..might end up only being 2 of us going.. that's ALOT of driving

omg

If you think that is a lot of driving, you may be overwhelmed.

Wigwam

Postby Wigwam » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:26 pm

Also, if you plan on arriving at a peak period, be prepared to stop in the middle of the road as they pulse traffic. Last year, my ride partner and I stopped at least 4 times in the middle of the night for about an hour each time. Share the drive.

louisacrystal
Burning Since: 2000

Postby louisacrystal » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:34 pm

The week is going to go by faster than you think. You'll find that there is always something going on and something new to look at, do or play with! Make sure that in all the weeks craziness you take 2 minutes each day to just stop and take it all in! Take a mental photograph! You'll be glad that you did that! And it will be better than any other photos that you'll take all week, because it's only yours!
I have gone out to find myself. If I get back before I return, Please keep me here until I get back. Thank you!

Wigwam

Postby Wigwam » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:40 pm

Oh, remember your Zip Lock type plastic bags. They keep the dust out of whatever it might get into--which is everything. See with your eyes.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:32 pm

Check the post dated, folks! This thread was started in February, and the OP hasn't been here since the beginning of March. She's either gotten past feeling overwhelmed, or run away screaming. :wink:

SPAGHETTI
Burning Since: 2012

Postby SPAGHETTI » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:49 pm

Still doing the meet and greets at redwing?

winterdream28

Postby winterdream28 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:55 pm

I am from Irvine:)

If you need to grab coffee with someone to get anymore DL let me know. Last year was my first:)
"Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves" - Henry David Thoreau

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:45 pm

SPAGHETTI wrote:Still doing the meet and greets at redwing?

Yep, every Tuesday evening.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Return to “The Greeter's Station”