First Year! Feeling Overwhelmed

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
shanrc_1
Burning Since: 2014

First Year! Feeling Overwhelmed

Post by shanrc_1 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:21 pm

Hello! My name is Shannon and this will be my first year going to Burning Man. Three friends and I from OC California, all first timers and we could not be anymore excited.

Buuttt the more reading I do as to what needs to be brought along: the food, camping gear, camp supplies, shower, grey water evap system?!.. It just seems so overwhelming to me. Don't get me wrong it does not change my excitement and I welcome the challenge, but any tips or comforting thoughts would really help! :shock:

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Re: First Year! Feeling Overwhelmed

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:56 pm

OC, not "the" OC?
You'll fit in fine, welcome.

And if you want answers, try searching first.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:59 pm

Sorry, Dougly, "Oc California" refers to that part of California that was previously a part of the Duchy of Aquitaine. Girl named Elinor can give you the rundown...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

zorro sings
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Hostel

Post by zorro sings » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:01 pm

shanrc_1 wrote:comforting thoughts :shock:

Thousands and thousands of BRC citizens were in your same situation and lived to tell about it.

The grey water,showers,evapo stuff usually a theme camp concern and you might want to look that way if you want to lighten the load you are experiencing.

Good luck and see you on the playa.
Be careful. You can spend all your money in there..............................Oriental Visitor

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:39 pm

Hello and welcome! It is pretty overwhelming, isn't it? Take a few deep breaths, keep on reading and researching (especially the survival guide and first timer's guide), you've got plenty of time to figure it all out.

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:51 pm

Yep... Plenty of time for you to plan your burn.

Evap is only necessary if you are producing a ton of grey water with no way to take it with you.

List your needs and desires in order of importance to your group and then knock them out one at a time.

And come back to us if you have a question or need a pep talk. We'll try to be gentle. :twisted:
Sic Semper Spectatores

FossaFerox
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Post by FossaFerox » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:20 pm

If there's just four of you go minimalist. A shower and evap system is serious overkill. Baby wipes or a tiny bit of soap, water, and a wash cloth go a long way and take up 1% of the resources of a shower system.

I was lucky enough to camp with a bigger group (13 people, 8 of whom were birgins) and we did have a shower. It was only used about a dozen times all week, and I was two of those. Don't fight the dust. You will not win. Instead focus on keeping your hands/face clean and yourself smelling pleasant.

You've got 180 days until you need to leave (assuming you're spending the night in Reno on Saturday and driving in Sunday, though this isn't mandatory, just "nice") which gives you 25 project weekends left to figure out your tents, shade, food, water, transportation, wardrobe (including goggles/masks), and personal lighting. Most everything else is optional. It's really not that bad.

Oh, and welcome.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

shanrc_1

Post by shanrc_1 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:47 pm

Thank you! I know its early to be worried. I'm overly excited. :mrgreen: if the shower/evap is an overkill for such small amount of people I am more tham happy to live with a few baby wipe showers for the week!

Sham

Post by Sham » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:15 am

I tend to start with shelter such as tents and shade, then sleeping bags and comfort things. Prepare for both very warm and very cold situations.
You'll need about 2.5 gallons of water per person per day. Plan food, plan for bikes and then continue working outward with your supplies.
Use the links in my signature below for more ideas on planning.
2014 looks like it will be very dusty, so dust masks, bandanas and goggles are very important.
Read as much as you can here on eplaya and you should be just fine.

C187
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Welding & Repair / Black Hole

Post by C187 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:53 am

It looks like you have that list in the right order. Just take on one subject at a time, and you'll have everything figured out in no time! Lot's of great food suggestions that reduce waste here on the forums. Just about every way to camp has been covered, and all the creature comforts have been over covered. Like others have said, a shower isn't needed. But at the same time it's up to your comfort level, and if you really want to deal with it.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...

FossaFerox

Post by FossaFerox » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:48 am

Sham, 2.5 gal/person/day seems like serious overkill. The official recommendation is 1.5. We brought 2 and had leftovers even with people showering and what not...
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

Fidget

Post by Fidget » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:52 pm

Welcome!

Definitely a lot to think about! There are a lot of things you can forgo on that list and some that you absolutely can not.
Items you will definitely need:

Bicycle - Sure, you -could- go walkabout all over the playa, but trust me, its waaaay more fun on a bike!
Dust/Gas Mask - this is a necessity also. Even on days where there is absolutely no wind, you'll still find the dust finds a way into everything, best prevent it from getting into your mouth. If you don't want to wear around a sweaty dust mask, a bandana works just marvelously (and has the added benefit of making you look like an old school highwayman or bandit!).
Goggles - Also a necessity. I took some sunglasses with me last year and didn't even wear them. Dark goggles for the day, clear ones for the night!
And on that note, Lights! - Put them on yourself and on your bike! Look awesome, be seen!

And oh yeah.. food and water and such! ;)
Never rub another man's rhubarb.

shanrc_1

Post by shanrc_1 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:22 pm

Fidget, was last year your first burn?

Fidget

Post by Fidget » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:11 pm

It was! Six of us packed into an RV and drove down from Vancouver. It was an amazing time!

I ended up taking more than I needed - few gas masks, couple different pairs of goggles, etc. In the end the best mask I had was a bandana that was gifted to me at the Beach at the End of the Universe. I also took a hell of a lot more booze than I needed - it's tough to stay hydrated on the playa, you need to drink way more water than you think, which makes it that much harder to drink beer/booze. Took a couple days to get my body dialed into the desert but once I did I was gold (hint - drink a ton of water before bed since you'll sweat like crazy while you sleep).

Oh, one other thing you will want to take with is a decent travel cup - you're going to want that handy when you roll into one of the zillion bars/camps offering drinks. :)

Sham

Post by Sham » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:40 pm

FossaFerox wrote:Sham, 2.5 gal/person/day seems like serious overkill. The official recommendation is 1.5. We brought 2 and had leftovers even with people showering and what not...
I tend to use about a gallon to wash up, and the rest I drink and share. I also bring a case of cheap bottled water and pass that out if others need it. Any extra gets used on the way out.

shanrc_1

Post by shanrc_1 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:03 pm

Thanks! How longwas the drive from vancouver? Its 12 hours from Orange..might end up only being 2 of us going.. that's ALOT of driving

FossaFerox

Post by FossaFerox » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:37 pm

shanrc, I'm driving up from LA and my group doesn't like making it in one go, and we're about 25 minutes closer than you. Spending the night before (Saturday night) and after (Monday night) in Reno is not terribly expensive and is REALLY nice. It means you're coming off more sleep/shorter drive before going into your camp build and it means you get to shower that much sooner once you leave. A lot of hotels have discounts for burners for those dates, though to my knowledge this year's promo codes have not yet gone out.

shanrc_1

Post by shanrc_1 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:34 am

FossaFerox, that's a great idea, I feel silly for not thinking about that in the first place. Where do I look for the hotel discount codes?

Forrest Gump, thanks for the wonderfully detailed list! :D (printing it now)

Fidget

Post by Fidget » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:54 am

Well we split it up into 3x 6 hour shots, with a little more for screwing around. But we sort of took our time; we left on the Saturday, spend the night in Portland (was one of our group member's birthday that night) then we drove to Klamanth Falls the next day, spent the night there and drove in the rest of the way in the early morning. We were in the line I'd say around 2pm Monday. Later than we wanted but that was our fault for going slower than expected Monday morning.

The upside? The drive was absolutely beautiful. Oregon and Northern Cali/Northern Nevada are really beautiful, especially that time of year and we were doing it in an RV, so we had a driver and navigator up front, the others played cards etc in the back. Long drive but worth every second! Plus, keep in mind you're going to be SUPER AMPED considering your destination. That drive will fly by! :)
shanrc_1 wrote:Thanks! How longwas the drive from vancouver? Its 12 hours from Orange..might end up only being 2 of us going.. that's ALOT of driving

FossaFerox

Post by FossaFerox » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:59 am

They'll usually circulate here on ePlaya, just keep your eyes peeled. They aren't super publicized because they're intended to be used by burners, no by anyone with Google. If you frequent the forums, though, they're hard to miss.

Checking into the hotel in Reno was also kind of magical for me as a birgin. You could TELL who the veteran burners were and it was hard not to be overly excited and bombard them with questions as we stood in line to check in. Of course, knowing what I now know about your average burner, I'm sure my questions would have been welcome and my child-like enthusiasm appreciated rather than scoffed at. Next year was better.

Fidget

Post by Fidget » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:14 am

The hotel check in post event is something a lot of my friends do. We considered it when leaving then realized we had an RV! So we checked into an RV park in Klamanth Falls for 3 or 4 hours, hooked up to the water and showered in our RV bathroom, which was awesome when plugged into water with actual pressure! The RV park guy was awesome and cut us a deal, I think we paid something like $22. Split between 6 people - pretty good deal!

shanrc_1

Post by shanrc_1 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:10 pm

I had no idea the sale ended so quickly. Was at a work lunch and missed the sale! I am so sad.

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:12 pm

Shanrc, there's still the STEP, the OMG last minute sale, and networking. If you're determined, you can definitely still get a ticket.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Fidget

Post by Fidget » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:14 pm

Yes all is not lost! STEP offers a reasonable way to get a ticket and there is the OMG last minute sale, which while having fewer tickets, is still a sale.
That and potential after market sales here on the site, which I'm told is a possibility.

Make it happen Shan! The playa isn't closed off to you yet! :)

shanrc_1

Post by shanrc_1 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:15 pm

Im going to keep trying! We only need 3 tickets :/ if anything i will be more prepared next year.

Fidget

Post by Fidget » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:40 pm

Pfff. Next year is next year. You've already gotten excited THIS year! Keep the energy going, I know people who have gotten tickets in STEP in past years without too much trouble.
Have faith!

tbucks

Post by tbucks » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:59 pm

Don't worry about the tickets. Keep planning and preparing and you will get tickets through STEP or the last chance sale. Either way, you will find tickets for face value if you keep an eye out.

Don't be afraid or overwhelmed. It is a lot to prepare and think about, but its not even march yet. You have lots of time to learn everything you need to learn.

shanrc_1

Post by shanrc_1 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:07 pm

I feel slightly more hopeful. We are definitely going to be on the hunt for those tickets. We are determined and still excited!

Never thought that I would be this pumped up to go spend a week in a hot dusty desert with no shower or real idea of what to expect!

Fidget

Post by Fidget » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:17 pm

And your excitement is nothing compared to how you'll feel when you KNOW what's out there waiting for you. ;)
Crossing fingers for you guys (and a ton of other people.. this can't be good for my fingers)!

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:27 pm

shanrc_1 wrote:I feel slightly more hopeful. We are definitely going to be on the hunt for those tickets. We are determined and still excited!

Never thought that I would be this pumped up to go spend a week in a hot dusty desert with no shower or real idea of what to expect!
That's the spirit!

Also, unsolicited advice: not knowing what to expect is great. I recommend you guys considering not looking at photo galleries and not watching videos. Focus on survival and logistics, of course. Pour your energy into your own efforts and let the playa surprise you this year :)
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Return to “The Greeter's Station”