Yet Another Australian First Timer

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
InsideOut
Burning Since: 2014

Yet Another Australian First Timer

Post by InsideOut » Fri May 30, 2014 1:21 am

Hello all!

I got my ticket in the first sale but some life stuff came up that left my plans up in the air for a while. Happily, I'm now free to head to BRC this year, and am quickly trying to get my act together as much as a virgin can.

So! My prime concern right now is that I'm without a people to camp with, and I'd really love to go with others to help pool resources and assist with the basic survival stuff. If anyone would like to increase their numbers, knows of people who could use an extra hand, or can just point me to a better place to seek out folks to join up with, let me know! I've got two hands and motivation to chip in, let me at it.

Any other first time Australians especially, chase me up, let's chat.

Yes, I'm familiar with the must read guides for first timers, still much to learn, I know :D

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Re: Yet Another Australian First Timer

Post by Jovankat » Fri May 30, 2014 1:38 am

Hello! Fellow Aussie here, we're looking for people to join our camp we're just settling some details on the dues at the moment. Where in Australia are you coming from and where are you flying into?

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:47 pm

I noticed today that Club Neu Verboten is another one of numerous camps looking for a few good campers.
viewtopic.php?f=364&t=68959

A theme camp is NOT required, but it can make things considerably easier for someone flying in (although choose carefully, 'cause you want their aims to fit your skills and personality).

Welcome! :)
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Gumby Roffo
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Camp Envy, Burn2.0, Green Tortoise,

Post by Gumby Roffo » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:24 am

G'day Matey,
I know just your feeling at the moment as I had it last year.
You will be fine. As for camps there a many of all different persuasions. Last year I cut some logistic problems and stayed with Green Tortoise. Best call ever for those travelling from Overseas and haven't been out of the country much.

Pete " Gumby" Rocco
West Australia

InsideOut

Post by InsideOut » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:21 am

Thanks for the welcome, folks! So sorry for my slow reply, got caught up in other business all week. Yikes.
Jovankat wrote:Hello! Fellow Aussie here, we're looking for people to join our camp we're just settling some details on the dues at the moment. Where in Australia are you coming from and where are you flying into?
From Brisbane, flying into LA, likely then hanging out in SF for a week or two. Totally flexible though pre-burn. Where are you, what's your camp, all that jazz?

Jovankat

Post by Jovankat » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:04 am

Cool. I'm in Sydney but heading the San Francisco/The Bay Area on July 23rd. My camp is called Flamingos FTW. You can check us out here :)

raeoh
Camp Name: Dr. Baron Von Realz Esq.

Post by raeoh » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:36 am

Hey buddy!

A friend and I are going for the first time this year too. We're from New Zealand and are still looking for a camp. Super interested with how you get on. Maybe we could plan something together once we're in the states. Keep in touch!

Rae

Jovankat

Post by Jovankat » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:04 am

Rae check out Flamingos, we'd love to have some kiwis!

InsideOut

Post by InsideOut » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:17 am

Jovankat, love the sound of Flamingos, will think over it a couple of days, I'm tossing it up with another camp. Sounds perfect for me as an international burner in getting camping gear together though.
raeoh wrote:Hey buddy!

A friend and I are going for the first time this year too. We're from New Zealand and are still looking for a camp. Super interested with how you get on. Maybe we could plan something together once we're in the states. Keep in touch!

Rae
Absolutely, I'll be looking for a ride share shortly, would be great to hook up with some other virgins to experience things with!

DoodleMatrix

Post by DoodleMatrix » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:42 am

Heya :),

I am another first timer heading out from Australia, I think I am camping out with a friend of mine from the UK that I met up at Woodford, but I am unsure, but it would be awesome to know where to find some fellow ozzies when I am out there.

My biggest concern so far is whether or not there will be enough supplies left over when I arrive, due to logistics can only arrive a few days before it all kicks off, thinking about building one of those monkey huts, but am concerned about there being no PVC pipe left over at Home Depot (aka american bunnings).

Also for those who have done it before, what are the big logistical concerns for folks coming from down under, things worth bringing from home and things worth buying there etc. I have read up on it all and have a good grasp on what I need, but the whole only bringing what I can carry thing presents a few hurdles.

Jovankat

Post by Jovankat » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:40 am

Where are you flying into and how are you getting to the playa? The lengths of PVC you need, even for a one tent Monkey hut, can be hard to get into a normal car and most rentals probably aren't going to have roof racks. I'm not sure about places like home depot but the Wal-Mart in Reno know we're coming and stock up accordingly. We walked in last year to big signs saying "Burning Man Supplies This Way" and were directed to giant tubs of sunscreen, condoms and glow sticks. :roll:

As for what to bring from home, pretty much everything is cheaper in the US. So apart from the obvious like Vegemite and Tim Tams I won't be bringing any Australian foods I don't think, nor an of my first aid kit supplies.

Oh! Something for the ladies; Americans predominately use applicator tampons and the regular kind we're used to can be hard to find so bring enough of those from home.

Basically any brands you can't live without. If you make your own coffee maybe consider bringing stuff to do that on the playa. American coffee is not like what we're used to. Especially if you're from Sydney or Melbourne.

And get travel insurance. The idea of paying $70,000 to be treated for a broken leg is a pretty foreign concept for us Aussies but not out of the question in America.

That's all I can think of right now...

DoodleMatrix

Post by DoodleMatrix » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:47 pm

Sweet, cheers for that :)

Yeah travel insurance is a definite on my list…but $70 K for a broken leg?!? damn

My friend is looking at picking up an RV for the event, so I should be able to fit the lengths into that, but alternatively what do you usually use for a shade structure if not one of those? All the reading I have done indicates that the old tarp with star pickets won't hold up to the weather out there.

Looking at flying in on around the 23rd, so will only have a day to pick everything up, hence the newbie concern, cheers for the heads up on Wallmart, might look at seeing if I can place an order at Home Depot before I go.

So from your post I am best off picking up all survival gear and food etc. when I get there and stocking up on clothes and oz-only items in the luggage, sweet…might have to bring a footy though

Jovankat

Post by Jovankat » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:26 pm

If your friend hasn't gotten an RV yet he might have to get creative to find one. The usual recommendation is try to have one booked before tickets go on sale.

Other than a monkey hut you could build a yurt and not really need shade but they're only really good for sleeping in not hanging out during the day. There's noah's tarp which is apparently the cheapest method. If you want ideas head over to the shade section of the forum and have a read but yes, conditions ut there are intense and if you don't do things properly your camp will blow away.

Yeah arriving on the 23rd doesn't give you much time at all. And you'll be jetlagged. Will you fly directly into Reno?

CarinaLouise

Post by CarinaLouise » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:07 pm

Hi!
ME TOO!!!
I have finally received a ticket from the STEP and at this stage am travelling solo too and feeling somewhat underprepared (this is my first burn also)!
Would love to find some like minded pals to share travel and facilities with. I havnt booked any flights yet but plan to be in the US for about a month before hand anyway.

I am a 24yo girl from Tasmania, very cruisey, Lover of music, fun and laughs were ever they can be found. I would possibly even be up for going in on an RV or van if others are keen.
Cheers :)

DoodleMatrix

Post by DoodleMatrix » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:26 pm

Another Tasmanian traveller, cool :P

nah, will be flying into LA, and then bussing it down to San Fran on the 23rd where my friend will meet me, I have been reading up on the shade sections and such and while the yurts look cool I just can't see myself getting all the prep down etc. with my limited time in the states, I would go earlier, but lacking anywhere to stay other than forking out even more cash to stay in a hostel (which wouldn't exactly give me the ideal surroundings to prepare anyway) I am kind of stuck getting there with little time to sort it all out. The monkey hut seems simple enough, just buy the materials and set it up there, have a fair hand when it comes to manual labour and measurements so I can't see it being too difficult, was just going to buy a dome tent and stick it under to have some shade outside the tent. I will look up this Noah's tarp thing though, cheers

I think my friend is looking to purchase one rather than renting, then trying to sell it off afterwards, they have a longer stay in the states than me, pretty much have enough dollar for the festival and thats about it. Have been checking out Craigslist and there seem to be a few on there, luckily she has a friend from San Fran willing to pick it up and park it at hers, so fingers crossed for that…otherwise I think she might be in trouble, she is freaking out about the heat :P

zardoc17

Post by zardoc17 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:11 am

Hi there!
Also first timer traveling solo! used to live in Melbourne...
Has anyone find camp yet? I have been in touch with other virgin burners and we might rent a van in SFO, also after the man burns we would like to do roadtrip, anyone keen?

Cheers!

Jovankat

Post by Jovankat » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:12 am

My camp is currently recruiting, check out the link in my signature. :)

CocoKiora

Post by CocoKiora » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:25 am

Welcome welcome!!

This is so exciting knowing there's quite a few Aussies here.

I hope to see you there =)

Return to “The Greeter's Station”