A swedish late commer joining for the first time!

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Manstralen
Burning Since: 2014

A swedish late commer joining for the first time!

Post by Manstralen » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:43 pm

Hey!

I'm a swedish girl joining all of you for the first time (YAY) and I'm coming alone (YIKES!)... I'll fly into SF and will most likely take the Burner Buss from there. If you guys have tips in general for someone traveling alone (I've read the tips and need to know on the website already ofc!) and specifically if there might be any way of finding a camp to join in the very last minute I'd very much appreciate it! :)

Thanks and see you there!
/L.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Re: A swedish late commer joining for the first time!

Post by Elliot » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:12 pm

Another Swede! That means we need some more Norwegians to maintain the balance!
But, as I told the last Swede, I will not hold your living on the wrong side of Scandinavia against you. :lol:

So... Welcome to ePlaya!

Joining a camp is not actually required. You can camp by yourself, and you will quickly meet your neighbors, and others, and find yourself part of the community. Just make sure you have all the camping gear and supplies you will need. If I understand you right, you have read the Survival Guide. See you in the Dust!

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:55 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:06 am

How to Join a Theme Camp . . . strategies, do's & don'ts:
viewtopic.php?f=364&t=36767

2014 Theme Camps (some of whom are seeking members)
viewforum.php?f=364

Choose a good fit and write them about why that is and what skills you have to offer.

Elliot's right as rain, though. A camp is optional, but sometimes especially helpful for a new person or an international traveler such as yourself, if you're ready to work a little and join a team.

Welcome!
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

susieclue
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock Fun Jet/Dive Camp

Post by susieclue » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:09 pm

Welcome! Message me and we 'll have a chat.
Susieclue at aol dot com

andy

Post by andy » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:48 pm

Just remember that the Burner Express bus requires reservations and has a 2 suitcase limit from San Francisco. There is only one bus a day from San Francisco and it leaves from the city, not the airport.

You might consider flying into Reno instead and taking the Burner Express bus which leaves from the Reno airport. There are several buses each day and *one* of them makes a one-hour shopping stop at a large grocery store. Otherwise it might be very difficult to bring in all of the food and water you need along with your clothes and shelter. I think it would be a good idea to find a camp to join because just a tent on the Playa can be quite difficult if it is not itself under some shade.

To be honest, I don't know how the Organization really expects people to take Burner Express unless they already have some friends bringing things in, because just the water requirement for a week could fill one of your 2 suitcases. It's probably true that a single girl will get all of the offers of food and drink help she needs once on Playa, but ideally you want to be self sufficient.

Welcome to the dust!

Return to “The Greeter's Station”