Two virgins from ATL - hey y'all!

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
lebaneselioness
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: solo

Two virgins from ATL - hey y'all!

Post by lebaneselioness » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:18 pm

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I are virgin Burners from Atlanta. In the default world he's a network developer/tech guru, I'm a translator/baking goddess. :) We'll be road-tripping it from Atlanta to BRC. We were with a tiny unregistered camp at the camp organizer's request, but then due to disagreements with her we are no longer with the camp. We've decided to camp solo ... we're really mellow, laid-back, easygoing people, and from what we've seen, there's just too much drama and politics associated with group camping. Maybe someday a really cool theme camp will prove us wrong, but for now, we're flyin' solo.

Anybody else out there intend to camp solo? If so, where are some good places to try to set up? I've looked at the map and it is my understanding that the public plazas are set up for public, solo, freestyle camping which would be perfect for us... is this correct? Is public camping always typically at 3:00, 6:00, 9:00 and K, and is it first-come, first-serve?

I'm looking forward to forming some wonderful new friendships and having an amazing experience. Y'all can stop by our tent for a Tarot reading and cookies. :)

Mary (playa name Lebanese Lioness for now, until someone else decides to give me a new name, which I understand is the protocol!!)

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Re: Two virgins from ATL - hey y'all!

Post by Drawingablank » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:38 pm

Welcome.

The shaded areas shown on the map are reserved - all the rest is open camping.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:47 pm

Yes, the purple shaded areas are reserved for theme camps. The plaza is not actually open camping; it's like a town square. There's a triangular entrance from the Esplanade that leads to a big open circular plaza. That white circular shape just means it's a big open circle for traffic, ringed by theme camps, rather than a place to camp. Trust me, you don't want to camp there anyway. ;)

Close-up on the map:
http://www.burningman.com/preparation/m ... fin-lg.jpg

Where do I camp? (general tips)
viewtopic.php?t=29356

The further out you go, the easier it is to sleep (but the more you will want a bike). The noisiest places are closer to the Esplanade and high on the clock between 9-10, and 2-3.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

shroom
Burning Since: 2010

Post by shroom » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:37 pm

I'm from Georgia too. Went home in 2010, going back next year, enjoy!

If you've never driven across country you might want to consider what I did. I went the northern route to BM (north then west hitting Kansas, Wyoming, Utah, the salt flats were amazing, etc) then I came home the southern route (through texas, etc.) It was fun to see so many places I had never been before.

Looking forward to your posts when you return!
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:01 am

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!

And now that you're here, don't forget the Meet-n-Greet on Wednesday.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

lebaneselioness
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: solo

Post by lebaneselioness » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:10 pm

Thank y'all so much!!!! This is very valuable information.

Another question: I *think* this is covered in a past issue of JRS - if it is, just tell me where and I'll go read it - but where are some good places to get our water en route to the burn?

Namaste,
Lebanese Lioness

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:05 pm

When's the last few towns you're coming through?

WATER: VITAL INFORMATION AND RESOURCES
http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... -2E3ihLx90

LOCAL TOWNS
http://www.burningman.com/preparation/t ... towns.html

The 2.5 gallon containers are easiest . . . not too heavy to wrangle alone, not so big as to be able to fit in your car only one way. Remember to leave space for it if you're getting it only a few stops out.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

shroom
Burning Since: 2010

Post by shroom » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:36 am

Check your route and pick a larger town before you get close. A lot of people talk about Reno but it's not on my route for example.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero

forrest Gump

Post by forrest Gump » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:24 am

The plaza are not for camping they are roundabouts some have art in the middle. The area around them is prime space reserved for theme camps. Here is linkhttp://www.burningman.com/preparation/m ... fin-lg.jpg to a map all the shaded areas are reserved for theme camps. As long as you are not completely alone you will be fine the only drawback is you will far from all the happening spots (hope you have a bike) and it is first come first serve it is like the Oklahoma land grab. I would recommend you visit camps and if you find one you like ask about joining if you decide to attend again they all have different vibes and it is hard to tell until you actually meet them what they are all about. Swing by and say hi we are located at 4:30 and Golden on the art plaza (yea placement hooked us up) our camp is “Dr. Baron von Realz Esq. most spectacular Steampunk Sideshow of altered reality and debauchery”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”