A hello from BK, NYC!

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
dimasilk
Burning Since: 2015

A hello from BK, NYC!

Post by dimasilk » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:41 am

Hello, everyone! My name is DimaSilk, sending a big hello from Brooklyn, NY. I'm planning to go to Burning Man first time next year, in 2015. This year was the year of turmoil for me personally, health-wise, and I've come to a realization that life, is, in fact, short, and should be cherished, and I have to experience it to the fullest.

I love helping people (the main reason why I'm in Nursing School in my mid 30's, changing careers is NOT easy!)... I'm a free spirit that has been bogged down by the monotony of an everyday big city life...

I have a beautiful family who I love very much, and my wife is as excited about going as I am. I love music, I love dancing, I love people, and have always put others before myself. That has to change (a little), I think, and I feel I am ready to experience the Burn :)

I've read all the posts on the BM website, watched dozens of videos, read many blogs and dozens of threads on Eplaya, and already started looking for a campervan rental, among other things (it's never too early!). Safe to say - emotionally, mentally, and physically I am ready. Now it's a matter of actual preparation of ... everything else! Glad to be here and hope for some useful pointers.

Thank you for having me :)

delle

Re: A hello from BK, NYC!

Post by delle » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:53 pm

Thank you, DimaSilk, for being here.

WELCOME!!

You're so right about it never being too early! Some of the hardest things to read in here are accounts of things having been left too late. It is good that you are so aware about so much, so early.

Looking forward to getting to know you and your wife over the coming year.

ENJOY!!!
Worry is a misuse of imagination

She had blue skin, And so did he.
He kept it hid And so did she.
They searched for blue Their whole life through,
Then passed right by- And never knew.”

Shel Silverstein

Sandstorm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: TBD

Post by Sandstorm » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:00 pm

Hey, DimaSilk! Welcome to the site and community. Like you I'm based in NYC. I hope that you make it HOME next year!

Good for you learning to put yourself first in your life. In the past I've also done too good of a job of putting others needs before my own, so I commend you on making various positive changes in your life, including making your needs a priority in your own life. Best wishes for your health and happiness.

You probably already know about the NYC "Orphan" party tomorrow night. If not, I've included below a link to the party's FB page. Dusty hugs!

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:04 pm

WELCOME!!
DimaSilk wrote: have always put others before myself
That, is a very good quality
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:35 pm

Thecatman wrote:WELCOME!!
DimaSilk wrote: have always put others before myself
That, is a very good quality
Unfortunately, that's not always true. I say that from experience, not just to be contrary. Dusty hugs.

dimasilk

Post by dimasilk » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:36 am

Firstly, thank you for welcoming me to ePlaya :) I'm looking forward to exchanging ideas and general chitchat throughout the year until and after the next Burn! My heart and mind are set on going, I only hope my body will hold up.

Secondly, just a little comment regarding "being good to others before being good to myself".. I've learned that without taking care of myself, I can't offer my full love, support and everything else I can give, to those around me, the people I love, the people I want to help. Without a healthy and happy DimaSilk, there is no happy friends and family.. It just goes to show how much we, people, affect those around us. My usual day starts at 5AM, and ends at 11PM. I do my best to leave my anxieties and worries and all other issues behind the door, before I enter my home. It doesn't always work. My tiredness, anger and frustration transfer onto my family members, and that is the last thing I want to do! This is becoming a rant :) I apologize. My point is - I'm striving towards making myself a better person. For myself, for my loved ones, and the rest of the people I come in contact with.

Hope that makes sense :)

OceanMermaid

Post by OceanMermaid » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:29 pm

HELLO!

I too am off to burning man next year. So I, welcome you as well. It is good to see that there are others that are doing it now vs. never....we have the opportunity, why wait? Its never to late to start a new beginning. Take care of yourself so we can take care of others.

Peace.

Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:43 pm

dimasilk wrote:This is becoming a rant :) I apologize.
No, that's not a rant; it's just you being open and honest about aspects of your being and life. That's a healthy thing to do! Never apologize for being honest and open. :)
OceanMermaid wrote:HELLO!

I too am off to burning man next year.
OceanMermaid: Welcome to the site and the community. Best wishes with your first journey HOME. Dusty hugs!

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:34 pm

Welcome
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

FreePeacelove
Burning Since: 2013

Post by FreePeacelove » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:24 am

I like your story

Your Welcome!
Twain: We have the best government that money can buy.

Churchill: We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.

Elderberry
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:26 am

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Return to “The Greeter's Station”