Potential 2016 Birgin with Questions

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
thegreatgrimsby
Burning Since: 2016

Potential 2016 Birgin with Questions

Post by thegreatgrimsby » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:12 am

Hey all!
I'm seriously considering going to the Burn this year but have encountered a financial strain.
A few of my friends have gone and legend has it that one of them once went with only a large backpack.
While I love the sense of community and support I'm not sure how I would feel about taking and not being able to give something back.
After careful research and budgeting projections I've come to a crossroads:
1) do I spend what I can to do an absolutely barebones trip and hope that the playa provides
or
2) do I forfeit this year, save and go next year in a hopefully better position?

Thanks in advance for your time and advice! :)
The Great Grimsby, like the great Jay Gatsby but real and evil.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Potential 2016 Birgin with Questions

Post by ygmir » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:21 am

HI and Welcome!
well, "bare bones" means different things, to different people.
Absolutely, you need to take all the things you need to survive, as far as water and food and shelter.
you do not need to bring gifts, or "trade items". First year especially, just go "be there".
People are fantastic there, and yeah, if you have trouble or forgot "X", didn't know you'd need "Y" or whatever, there is a good chance someone will help you. Especially if you go out of your way to "participate" and get to know your neighbors, maybe lend a hand with setup or whatever to folks. Karma is set on "high" out there often times.
People go on a very low budget, and still have a great time.
Be warned though: "Don't be a leach"
Do your best, be prepared and have all the essentials. Don't go thinking "the playa will provide" (see Karma reference above).
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:25 am

YOU must decide what you need.
The issue is survival.
The times can be harsh.
I reconfigure my needs every year.

xoA.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:06 am

Grimsby, Welcome to eplaya. I'm so glad you came here. Your comment of
legend has it that one of them once went with only a large backpack.
made me grimace. That would be fine if your backpack contained all the food and water you need for the week, your clothes, sleeping bag and other necessities like sunscreen and goggles. If you bring all needed supplies then you are doin it right. Use Google to search through these eplaya threads. There are years of good advice and when you get stuck on an unanswered question just ask us. We love to help those who help themselves. Get to know us here and we'll hug you in person there.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

thegreatgrimsby
Burning Since: 2016

Post by thegreatgrimsby » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:19 am

Thank you all! I keep going over the what to bring threads and trying to estimate what I'll need based on my daily intake.
I can't imagine how my friend survived with just a backpack but I think I am going to try for it this year! :D
I'm already feeling the love, thanks again!
The Great Grimsby, like the great Jay Gatsby but real and evil.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:40 pm

thegreatgrimsby wrote:Hey all!
I'm seriously considering going to the Burn this year but have encountered a financial strain.
A few of my friends have gone and legend has it that one of them once went with only a large backpack.
While I love the sense of community and support I'm not sure how I would feel about taking and not being able to give something back.
After careful research and budgeting projections I've come to a crossroads:
1) do I spend what I can to do an absolutely barebones trip and hope that the playa provides
or
2) do I forfeit this year, save and go next year in a hopefully better position?

Thanks in advance for your time and advice! :)
Welcome! :)

. . . What do you consider "barebones"?

"The playa provides" is more about serendipitous luck, like a surprise meal when you are two miles from camp at dinner time, or a marching band swooping into center camp right as you're proposing to your sweetheart . . . or a strange scarf blowing onto your friend's neck during a dust storm and then disappearing again into the wind as he finds camp. :) It's not about basic supplies like a week's worth of food or water, a heavy jacket for the cold nights, a good pair of goggles, or well-broken in boots.

It's okay to do things on a shoestring, but the idea is that if no one else showed up, could you survive? If yes, then you're on the right track.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:52 am

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

ChicoTerri
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: XJoy, Home of Playa Mart

Post by ChicoTerri » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:36 am

Hello and welcome!

Indeed "bare bones" can be interpreted many ways. However, you can't fit a week of water into a backpack, much less the rest of what you'll need. You do have the luxury of many months to search out and find what you need, think thrift shops, borrowing what you can, etc. But give up the idea of a backpack alone, it won't be enough.
Welcome to Playa Mart! You forgot it? We've got it.

“A sense of humor...is superior to any religion so far devised.”

“You should never hesitate to trade your cow for a handful of magic beans.”

Return to “The Greeter's Station”