Virgin Burner from Switzerland

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
nokeechia
Burning Since: 2016

Virgin Burner from Switzerland

Post by nokeechia » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:08 am

Hey,
I am a 31 year old lady from Switzerland, but originally from the United Kingdom. I actually got tickets in 2013, but sold them as I freaked out about my lack of prep (I don't drive so I worried about water consumption :S).
I am pretty excited about this year, obviously I need to get my tickets, but I am wholly immersed in this lifestyle.

I am trying to ensure I am up to date about how to survive and how to really participate. I am getting some jitters again about prep, but if I stay prepared, I am sure it will not be a problem.

Anyway, lovely to meet you, and can't wait to see you on the Playa to pop my cherry!

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Virgin Burner from Switzerland

Post by Ratty » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:14 am

Welcome nokeechia, It's great that you have plenty of time to prepare. This board is full of answers to your burning questions. We have all been where you are today. (Although coming from across the ocean is a much larger hurdle.) Stand by your guns and march forward. Do tons of reading then let us fill in the blanks for you. A hearty 'welcome hug' just for you. ((Nokeechia))
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:18 am

Welcome to ePlaya, Nokeechia!
Your decision in 2013 impresses me mightily. If only all Burgins (Burner-virgins) would grasp this concept! Burning Man does indeed require commitment and preparation.

So, it seems safe to expect that you will be wonderfully well prepared for this year.
We love "Stealth Burgins" -- Burgins who seem like they have done this for years already. That said, please remember to ask questions and ask for help anytime you want, of anyone in Black Rock City.

Even being well prepared, you should still expect some Sensory Overload and general confusion and overwhelmance. (I just invented that word. LOL ) No worries, but you might want to avoid committing to very much structured activity, since every hour will already be well packed with new Stuff, new people, new ways of behaving, and so on.

Invest some time here on ePlaya. There are tons of information here. The search function works poorly, so I recommend you try regular interweb searches where you include the word ePlaya. When you do not find what you want here or on the main website, then ask away!

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:50 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:52 pm

Welcome !

speak about anything you wish
and in any language

xoA.

nokeechia

Post by nokeechia » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:12 am

Thanks for the all the warm welcomes and advice, I'll do my best to prepare on my own, but it is nice to know if I need some advice i can ask.

nicolepcx
Burning Since: 2020

Post by nicolepcx » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:10 am

Hi there,

I am also thinking participating this year. And I am also a Virgin... lol
But it looks like I have to go alone. And I am not sure, if I should, because I am a women... So I was wondering, if you are a group and I may join...

Nicole

nokeechia

Post by nokeechia » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:33 pm

Ahh Nicole perfect, I think it would be a great idea to make a Virgin camp! Are you coming from Europe also?

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:42 pm

nokeechia wrote:Hey,
I am a 31 year old lady from Switzerland, but originally from the United Kingdom. I actually got tickets in 2013, but sold them as I freaked out about my lack of prep (I don't drive so I worried about water consumption :S).
I am pretty excited about this year, obviously I need to get my tickets, but I am wholly immersed in this lifestyle.

I am trying to ensure I am up to date about how to survive and how to really participate. I am getting some jitters again about prep, but if I stay prepared, I am sure it will not be a problem.

Anyway, lovely to meet you, and can't wait to see you on the Playa to pop my cherry!
Welcome, Nokeechia! :D
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:03 pm

Last I saw, turnover is around 40%. In other words, of 70,000 participants, 28,000 are there for the first time. So you will not be standing out as any oddity.

Also, I am lately informed that women are now admitted without the usual surcharges, restrictions, prohibition against voting, requirement to always wear a tent with peepholes, expectation to remain barefoot and pregnant, and otherwise obey the whims of Men as God ordains.

So… go for it !!!

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:48 am

Welcome.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

nokeechia

Post by nokeechia » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:58 am

Elliot wrote:Last I saw, turnover is around 40%. In other words, of 70,000 participants, 28,000 are there for the first time. So you will not be standing out as any oddity.

Also, I am lately informed that women are now admitted without the usual surcharges, restrictions, prohibition against voting, requirement to always wear a tent with peepholes, expectation to remain barefoot and pregnant, and otherwise obey the whims of Men as God ordains.

So… go for it !!!
Oh it is a good day to be alive!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:12 pm

It's more of a 1/3 ratio, Elliot, as I think it has been for a few years. The important thing to remember is that we were all new at least once.

The jitters about preparation are normal. I think it's a sign that you're taking it all seriously. Use this site and other resource, and you're sure to figure out and HOLY CRAP YOU CAN DO THIS THING!!! Seriously, you've got this. What you don't find the answers for in your own searches, post the questions here and we can help!

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:33 pm

Aha! Better information is... better!
Life is indeed good.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:25 pm

Double aha! 2014 Census... most recent I had in front of me Wednesday, as in "Last I saw...": Preliminary Result... 41.1%.
Final Result, after improvements in Weighting Procedure... 35.1%.
And 35.1 rounds to 40; certainly to "around 40".

Good Sir Trilobyte, I respectfully decline to accept your correction!

ANNOUNCER:
Ladies and gentlemen, you have been listening to Thread Drift, a random, yet frequent, feature of this station. We now return you to our regularly scheduled program, Greeter Station, in progress.

Agaton
Camp Name: Sheep & Wolf Pub

Post by Agaton » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:23 pm

Hey Elliot! You're an idiot! What hat did you pull 41.1% out of?! The unweighted number is 37%, not 41.1%.
Farted in my wallet; now I have gas money. -Unjonharley

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:40 pm

*shuffles in, holds hands out in front to accept handcuffs*
I surrender. I read "6%", and took it for six percentage points -- and added that to the 35.1. But it is a six percent difference between 37% unweighted and 35.1% weighted.

*slips nimbly out of the cuffs and breaks into the Happy Dance*
But 37 still rounds to "around 40" -- nah, nah, nah!

*does cartwheels over to the Bar thread -- and falls asleep*

ANNOUNCER:
This concludes tonight's broadcast. Now this closing editorial: Station management in no way condones....

ecoita
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Duane's Whirld

Post by ecoita » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:42 am

LOL.. What an awesome group you folks are.

Nokeechia, you are in good hands here. There are lots of tips for traveling overseas, how to pack, luggage prep, etc., so start a routine to check this forum thoroughly.

Nicolepcx, Also check the BM page for 2015 theme camp listings to see if you are interested in joining up with them. Or find folks coming from your city, region or some other ties.

But you started in the right place! Hope to see you all in 2016!!
If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:16 am

Nokeechia, please accept my apology for hijacking your thread with my excessive thread-drift Friday evening. I was in a strangely jubilant mood and allowed myself to get carried away. No excuse. I simply blew it.

Apology to Trilobyte as well.

(While a jubilant mood is generally a good thing, getting carried away is not.)

With your kind permission, I look forward to your continued participation here on ePlaya.

nokeechia

Post by nokeechia » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:41 pm

This is eplaya, I would love people to express themselves to their fullest.
Anyway, it takes the heat off me, while I think of how I can bring a tent to the US and getting a Visa Waiver :)

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:16 pm

What about buying a tent here? Might be better than dragging one along on the plane. I have no knowledge of tents, but I do have knowledge of the hassles of air travel. (If I ever go to Europe again, I'm going by ship.)

You will also want shade over your tent. Many Burners build a "monkey hut" out of readily available materials, and cheap. There must be a hundred threads here about monkey huts.

What's so difficult about the visa? Thousands of Europeans travel to Burning Man every year, and thousands and thousands of others. My Norwegian brother gets a visa that is good for six months at the time, I believe. (Of course, if you are a bank robber with an extensive prison record.... :roll: )

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:25 pm

All right.... I looked up the Visa Waiver program. Seems all you will need, as a citizen of either Switzerland or United Kingdom, is a modern passport with the electronic chip, and to "check in" online at least tree days before traveling.

nokeechia

Post by nokeechia » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:36 pm

Thanks for the kind words.

I was thinking about buying a tent in the US, but I would like to make sure I brought my stuff home so it can be used again, sans sand. There are some nice areas that would afford some great camping here, so I can think of further uses of it.

Also, you are absolutely right, I am part of the Visa waiver program, I just need to get an A OK from ESTAS. So a little money and form filling should do me well.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:05 pm

In that case, you may want to invest in a light-weight tent of good quality, such as used by mountaineers. That will minimize your cost for extra luggage on the airline, and also be less bulky to carry to and fro. And I agree with the concept of planning your luggage before leaving home, to avoid a surprise when you check in for the return. (As in... "This tent fits perfectly in this suitcase, so it will fit there on the return trip also.")

Some years ago, my brother gave me a tent by Helsport, made in Norway, and it packs remarkably well back into the bag it came out of -- which would be important for this purpose.

Though.... most folks probably wind up with some "souvenirs" to bring home, and there goes the "plan". :lol:

By the way, there is no sand in Black Rock City. Only dust. Very fine dust, like talcum powder, baby powder.

nokeechia

Post by nokeechia » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:48 am

Thanks Elliot, I am looking to a Nordic design bell tent or tipi (teepee???) for the journey. I can't handle the weight of a pure canvas tent, but a polycotton blend will do I believe.
I am hoping that my partner may take the opportunity to come now (which is exciting!), so we can assist each other with the weight.

Also Elliot, you associating the playa dust to baby powder, is making me think that I would not mind taking a tumble or two in it!

Rez

Post by Rez » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:22 am

Virgin here too. I would be so down for a virgin camp. or at least others to stand next to and look less clueless. :)
" I WILL call you pretty for the use of a Shower"

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:06 am

Well, nokeechia, there is a tradition at the Greeter Station of first-timers ("Burgins") making snow angels in the Dust. I don't remember doing it, but if I should do it now, I would of course do it nude, to maximize the tactile experience. To really do this right, we would seek out a "dune", where loose Dust can be a foot deep.

But if you are thinking of creating a "ghostly" appearance this way, we would want to use baby powder or... flour! The Playa Dust is a tan color, rather than white like flour and baby powder.

Skuzzy61
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp/We got this!

Post by Skuzzy61 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:33 pm

How many Birgins lie about being a birgin so as to avoid making a dust angel? I wonder. Then again, if the greeter is cute and huggable,..it might just be worth it. :)
As the camp evolves.....
We got this! 2016/2019
We had it! 2020
We almost lost it! 2021
We have no idea where it is! 2022
Who the hell are we and why are we here? 2023

Return to “The Greeter's Station”