First time burner from NYC

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
itsvaderbih
Burning Since: 2016

First time burner from NYC

Post by itsvaderbih » Fri May 27, 2016 6:57 pm

HI, THIS IS MY FIRST YEAR ATTENDING, MY FRIEND THAT TOLD ME ABOUT THE EVENT IS A VET AND ALREADY SET UP WITH A CAMP. I AM EXCITED TO GO AND PREPARING BUT AM COMPLETELY LOST, I HAVE NEVER EVEN BEEN CAMPING A DAY IN MY LIFE :| I AM COMING FROM NYC AND LOOKING TO JOIN A REASONABLE CAMP OR VILLAGE THAT DOESN'T MIND HAVING A NEWBIE. I REALLY DON'T WANT TO PASS UP AN OPPORTUNITY AS AMAZING AS THIS, AND AM STRATEGIZING HOW I CAN MAKE THIS WORK. HELP!

EspressoDude

Re: FIRST TIME BURNER FROM NYC

Post by EspressoDude » Fri May 27, 2016 7:54 pm

( turning off CAPS LOCK will help )
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Fri May 27, 2016 8:58 pm

itsvaderbih wrote:MY FRIEND THAT TOLD ME ABOUT THE EVENT IS A VET AND ALREADY SET UP WITH A CAMP.
HELP!
Why wouldn't this "friend" of yours offer to take you into their camp? You'll forgive us, as snarky as we may be, usually "friends" invite you to join them. Why would we do any differently, unless you're a useless sparkly pony or drama queen or worse?

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Sat May 28, 2016 12:07 am

itsvaderbih wrote:HI, THIS IS MY FIRST YEAR ATTENDING, MY FRIEND THAT TOLD ME ABOUT THE EVENT IS A VET AND ALREADY SET UP WITH A CAMP. I AM EXCITED TO GO AND PREPARING BUT AM COMPLETELY LOST, I HAVE NEVER EVEN BEEN CAMPING A DAY IN MY LIFE :| I AM COMING FROM NYC AND LOOKING TO JOIN A REASONABLE CAMP OR VILLAGE THAT DOESN'T MIND HAVING A NEWBIE. I REALLY DON'T WANT TO PASS UP AN OPPORTUNITY AS AMAZING AS THIS, AND AM STRATEGIZING HOW I CAN MAKE THIS WORK. HELP!
They're right: please turn off your caps lock for best results. You'll be easier to read. :)

Sign up for your regional email lists and facebook groups and meet some local Burners/camps.
http://regionals.burningman.org/

There are some theme camps here as well:
viewforum.php?f=468

And some Rideshares here:
viewforum.php?f=469

And some rideshares and RV shares here:
https://rideshare.burningman.org/

And read all of this, twice:
http://burningman.org/event/preparation/

The more you know and take charge of your own experience, the more people will be willing to take a chance on teaming up. So try not to project your fear and any moments of helplessness--lead with your skills, your hope, your energy, and your knowledge.

Welcome! :D
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

itsvaderbih
Burning Since: 2016

Post by itsvaderbih » Sat May 28, 2016 6:06 am

Apologies for my apparently offensive caps lock. My "friends" camp is full, and they didn't know that I was attending.

Wigwam
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: The Wanderers

Post by Wigwam » Sat May 28, 2016 8:07 pm

Read everything. Here and the survival guide. Talk to your friend. Ask questions.
The truth is more important than the facts.
I'm not an actor, but I've played one on TV.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat May 28, 2016 9:52 pm

After well over a decade of this shit, my advice is: Flee!! Run away! Get out while you can!! You'll end up losing track of how many tens of thousands of $$ you've spent, you'll have large amounts of stuff that isn't used for anything else, you'll screw up good stuff in that corrosive playa dust, you'll end up with friends that live all over the country you either can't visit or spend too much money to visit, and your cat will think you've abandoned her while you're gone.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Sham

Post by Sham » Sun May 29, 2016 4:39 am

itsvaderbih wrote:Apologies for my apparently offensive caps lock. My "friends" camp is full, and they didn't know that I was attending.
How large is your friend's camp? At 3 months out, most camps can absorb one more person and a tent. If I were you, I would ask my friend to contact the camp lead and request once again to allow you to camp with them.

If you have never camped before, you'll be needing almost everything to make this happen. Tent, sleeping bag, bike (optional), goggles, dust mask, water bottles, warm clothes, lighter clothes and all the hundreds of survival things in between. Read the First Timer's Guide and the Survival Guide in my signature below.

With all this said, do lots of research and get your preparation in high gear.

Welcome to eplaya. :D

Return to “The Greeter's Station”