Future virgin burner 2017

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Kammib513
Burning Since: 2017

Future virgin burner 2017

Postby Kammib513 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:45 pm

Hi my name is Kammi! First of all let me just say I hope everyone is having a blast at BM this week, have fun and be safe!

Little background on me... Over the past year and half I've been trying to better myself. I battled addiction for many years and am proud to say I am 10 month clean. I moved to a new city and basically started over.

Burning Man has been a dream of mine for many years. I've been going to raves and festivals for about 10 years, but I've taken a year off to work on myself and get better. Work, money, timing, and life in general has gotten in the way of that dream so far, but it looks like 2017 is going to be my birgin year! 364 days left to prepare haha. I've read just about everything I can get my hands on from virgin guides to packing lists, tents vs rv's, shade structures and more.

I've convinced my boyfriend to go, and I'm so excited to be able to experience BM with my best friend. The only thing I'm concerned about is that he has never even been to so much as a concert before. I just don't know if he will be overwhelmed with it all when we go. If anyone has some advice I would really appreciate it. Also any advise for doing BM sober? Any advise in general really!

shroom
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Future virgin burner 2017

Postby shroom » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:42 pm

Welcome!

Do what you're doing. Keep reading all the info that you can find.

Watch some videos on youtube. Watch a few documentaries. My favorites are Journey to the Flames & Spark. Get the boyfriend to watch too.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero

Kammib513

Postby Kammib513 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:38 pm

shroom wrote:Welcome!

Do what you're doing. Keep reading all the info that you can find.

Watch some videos on youtube. Watch a few documentaries. My favorites are Journey to the Flames & Spark. Get the boyfriend to watch too.

I've watched spark a bunch of times, I got my boyfriend to watch it too, that's how I convinced him haha. But thanks for the advise, I will definitely look into some youtube videos and the other documentary :)

mournlight

Postby mournlight » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:51 pm

Hi, Kammi! There are a lot of people doing BM sober! Check out our community at burnanon.org We have a large camp, too. You can stay or just visit.
Surrounding oneself with other sober burners is a great way to burn sober.
~Having fun preparing for a creative world~

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:25 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:59 pm

Hi Kammi,

Burning sober is easy enough. Lots of levels of support for that.

The thing you gotta figure out: twice you mention having to convince your boyfriend to go.

I'd think long and hard on that one.

It takes a bit of obsession to make the trek out and if your man is not into it, it has a good chance of straining your relationship. And that is even before you get there.

Talk constructive, honest and at length. It is a journey, not a destination.

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Drawingablank » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:06 am

Welcome.

I would like to second what Token said.

The burn can be a strain on even strong relationships and since you used the term convinced it would probably be a very good idea to hash this all out before you are on the playa and one (or both) of you is having a meltdown.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:58 pm

Welcome.

Has your boyfriend even been camping? Start with that, a weekend or three, see how he handles it. Going solo is perfectly fine if he is not up to it.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

Nicoleriverasanchez

Postby Nicoleriverasanchez » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:16 pm

Hey guys also a New burner I am coming from Sydney to burning man wanted to find a group I could travel/stay with as none of my friends want to go if anyone could help

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby Elliot » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:42 pm

Kammib513 wrote:Hi my name is Kammi! ... ... ...
Also any advise for doing BM sober? ...

First, I salute you for cleaning yourself up and rebooting your life! Not easy, I'm sure. Well done!

To do BM sober: Participate in normal Burning Man activities of your choice.
:D
Elliot's Non-Smoking Naked Bicycle Service, Healing Arts, Body Paint & Piano Bar
677 bikes repaired in 2017

-----Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude! -----

http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Awesome? Yes, Ma'am, we do awesome.

PhatMagic
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Asparagus Forest

Postby PhatMagic » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:09 am

I just had a sexless near sober burn and wound up in rampart twice after taking 5 camp mates there and it was fucking amazing. Objectively, on paper, no one would want what just happened up me but it was totally amazing.

The advice I'd give you that I didn't read any where is, sleep in reno the night before gate opens so you have the shortest possible drive to gate. If at all possible take the burner bus. It bypasses all the bullshit in and out and drops you off... I mean... It's just like Moses parting the red sea.

Get a yurt if you can afford it. They're just great. Fuck an RV, you'll have more fun in a yurt. You can also shove air conditioning in it if you bring a generator. They keep out the dust better than most tents as well. If you get a tent make sure it's dust sealed or find a way to seal it otherwise everything will have thick layer of dust constantly and I mean constantly.

Zip lock bag every bit of clothing and bring a couple of big ones to shove it into. It'll help so much. Bring a bucket with a lid, the lid is important. Most hardware shops will sell then for 10$. The big painter buckets are best. Great for a tactical puke or emergency toilet and if you drive in they could save you a hefty fine from the cops if you get caught dropping trou on the side of the road.

Refuel at reno before heading to the burn.

Learn how to deal with grey water. If you do, make a shower and clean your friends.

To go the human carcass wash.

2 foot and 4 foot lag bolts and an impact driver... Gods own camping gear. Get em. Fuck rebar and tent pegs. Look like a pro.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:56 am

Advice for doing BM sober - simply don't get drunk!
I drink far less at Burning Man than at home. Almost none. My reason is because I'm always driving (you can't drink & drive a Mutant Vehicle any more than you can drink & drive a car at home, you'll get a real DUI!) but it doesn't really matter. You don't need to be messed up to have a great time being in Black Rock City.
It's a party city for sure but there generally aren't people pushing you to drink.
It gets offered, but not insistently.
In fact, if you wanna be a real hero in BRC, bring lots of soda. Booze is in plentiful supply but mixers or just plain Coke is usually in short supply! It's amazing, a cold beer can be had any time but a nice cold Coke is a prize.
Bring that!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Savannah » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:01 pm

Kammib513 wrote:Hi my name is Kammi! First of all let me just say I hope everyone is having a blast at BM this week, have fun and be safe!

Little background on me... Over the past year and half I've been trying to better myself. I battled addiction for many years and am proud to say I am 10 month clean. I moved to a new city and basically started over.

Burning Man has been a dream of mine for many years. I've been going to raves and festivals for about 10 years, but I've taken a year off to work on myself and get better. Work, money, timing, and life in general has gotten in the way of that dream so far, but it looks like 2017 is going to be my birgin year! 364 days left to prepare haha. I've read just about everything I can get my hands on from virgin guides to packing lists, tents vs rv's, shade structures and more.

I've convinced my boyfriend to go, and I'm so excited to be able to experience BM with my best friend. The only thing I'm concerned about is that he has never even been to so much as a concert before. I just don't know if he will be overwhelmed with it all when we go. If anyone has some advice I would really appreciate it. Also any advise for doing BM sober? Any advise in general really!

Welcome, Kammi! :D

Here's a link to "Sober on the Playa", if you haven't seen it yet:
http://burningman.org/event/preparation ... ety/sober/

The above advice from the others about 1) taking some short local camping trips to see your boyfriend's reaction, and 2) NOT dragging him along if he's not emotionally or physically ready is spot-on. Be ready for folks to back out and you'll be prepared on the 50/50 chance that they do.

If half of us had waited for our best friends or loved ones to be ready to Burn, we'd never have Burned at all. :)
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Kammib513

Postby Kammib513 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:42 pm

Thank you all for your responses and great advice! I so appreciate all the help I can get :)
mournlight wrote:Hi, Kammi! There are a lot of people doing BM sober! Check out our community at burnanon.org We have a large camp, too. You can stay or just visit.
Surrounding oneself with other sober burners is a great way to burn sober.

I definitely will check this out thank you, this seems like a great idea for us to be around other sober burners.
Token wrote:Hi Kammi,

Burning sober is easy enough. Lots of levels of support for that.

The thing you gotta figure out: twice you mention having to convince your boyfriend to go.

I'd think long and hard on that one.

It takes a bit of obsession to make the trek out and if your man is not into it, it has a good chance of straining your relationship. And that is even before you get there.

Talk constructive, honest and at length. It is a journey, not a destination.

He's definitely into camping and doing outdoorsy things, the only thing I was really concerned about is the sheer size of BM. He is from a very small town and has never really been to something of that size. I told him before we go about getting tickets to do a lot of research about the event to decide if it's really something he is interested in. The last thing I would want to do is make him go and to be stuck there for a week if he's miserable. I've left it up to him, if he decides it not for him then I will totally understand. ThanK you for the advise.

Token

Postby Token » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:59 pm

Hitting up a regional burn of some kind or another might be a great way to lubricate the journey.

There are lots of regional burns throughout the world that can give you a taste.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”