Greetings from Argentina!

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
DeschainGirl
Burning Since: 2017

Greetings from Argentina!

Postby DeschainGirl » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:27 pm

Hi everybody! My name is Evelyn (31) and I've known of Burning Man for some years now. Looking back it's hard to believe I spent so many years of my life not knowing of something this big and beautiful.
I'm from Argentina and I'm planning on coming for the 2017 Burn. I've had many dreams about being at the festival even though I've never been there, isn't that weird? The desert is calling me, I really believe in everything Burning Man stands for and I know I'll get the most of it, even if I get to do it just once.
Any advice you can give me on how to handle the experience coming from another country is very super really welcome! Is there any place on this ePlaya where foreigners unite? I haven't seen them so far.
Thank you very much for reading this and I can't wait to see you there :)
Lots of love!

Lfg51
Burning Since: 2020

Re: Greetings from Argentina!

Postby Lfg51 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:51 pm

Welcome to e-playa!

paul_bennett

Postby paul_bennett » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:43 pm

Greetings from Brazil! I also want to go there for the first time, probably in 2017!

We, international travelers, are up to quite a challenge to go there. When I started the list of "things to solve" I faced a few problems:

I need a bike. Do I rent one? You can rent one for USD$300 and they let you get the bike at the Playa and also fix it for you in case of break. However, for less than 300 you can buy a used bike from Craiglist. However, if you buy it, what are you going to do with it after Burning Man? I just can't bring a full bike back on the plane to South America. Maybe I should donate it?

I need a shelter, but I'll not buy one here in Brazil and bring it in the plane since it's heavy and the company will tax overweight luggage. But if I buy it there, what do I do with it after? Bring it back to my country? Donate? Most probably, I'd rent one tent there and return after the event.

You could also rent a small RV, but they are pricey. A small RV for two people with kitchen but no bathroom (like Jucy Rentals) costs about USD$1800 for the week. The big ones with bathroom have much higher prices.

But let's say I just rent a simple car, not an RV. The rental company will not like all the dust the car takes at The Playa. The Black Rock desert dust is a fine powder that easily stick to car parts, specially after a dust storm. The rental company will not accept a fully dusted car. You can pay to clean, but that's about USD$60 and they don't clean the engine or air ducts, so you may risk a high fee. There are rental companies that specifically rent for this kind of event and accept a little dust on their cars.

Some people go by bus - they take an official Burning Man bus at Reno that charge a little extra if you carry a bike or heavy gear. But I don't think you can handle to carry all the food, tent, cloths, art, bike and water alone. Bus is probably for those who are going to meet a larger group there.

Let's not forget that the tent must have an external shade, otherwise you'll not be able to handle the heat. People usually stay up all night and sleep from 6 to mid-day. Without a shadow, the tent becomes a hot sauna. Also, the tent must be really secured on the floor, because they have strong winds sometimes. A cheap tent, bought at Wallmart, have little stakes that just won't do the job. You must buy large, deep stakes and better ropes. I wish I could build those hexagon yurts with duct tape, but I just won't bring my hammer and seesaw on the airplane. If you live in US, you have your house and tools there.

I also want to bring a piece of art to the Burning Man, some sort of experience for the others. I cannot build large cars or decorative art, anything I bring should fit into a suitcase - that's a challenge. Any piece of art would also require light that must stay on all night. Battery is necessary, since we're in the desert. Even led light that consumes little may need a large battery since we usually put a lot of leds together all night long. But how do you recharge your battery? You need a car or a generator or maybe a large solar panel. All of those options remind me that you can't just to there by bus with a small backpack.

Food is also an issue, you may need something to heat it, you need to carry enough food and water for the whole week and I don't feel like eating only military food packets for so many days.

All that said, I'll go anyway. I'll figure all problems, one by one. We, international travelers, must be full of backup plans. What if the rental company make a mistake and don't have your car? What if you can't find a cheap bike at Craiglist? How do I reach the nearest airport to go back to my country? What if there's a huge delay after the event, I cannot risk loosing my plane. Yeah, let's go there, but full of backup plans.

As side note, in 2017, US will have a total solar eclipse one week before burning man. Maybe we should just go there one week before to also enjoy that event?

Anyway, the preparation starts NOW, one year before.

Cheers!

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:31 pm

Welcome Deschaingirl and Paul. Yes it's a challenge. You have a whole year to plan and the answers are here. Search eplaya with this text.

site:eplaya.burningman.org

Just add whatever you want to know about. Like

site:eplaya.burningman.org international travel

OR

site:eplaya.burningman.org burner express bus

You will find hundreds of options. To buy a bike at Walmart costs under $150. If you are driving you can donate it on the drive out. I'm a huge fan of 'sails' for a shade structure. They are compact and lightweight. You don't NEED to shade your tent. You can nap in the shade of a big truck or lay out at center camp. It's full of sleepers.

Don't feel required to bring art. Just bring your helping hands. There is always someone too tired to put up their tent. Help unload a truck. Hold up some poles while the shade structure gets built. Strap someone's luggage to your bike and walk it to their camp. (People getting off the Burner Express Bus need a hand.) Or Help someone lug their belongings out to the airport. Your willingness to help is the best gift ever.

You CAN do this. You have 350 days till the man burns. Welcome.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Drawingablank » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:22 pm

Welcome.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

berzins
Camp Name: Opulent Chill

Postby berzins » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:18 am

Hola Evelyn!

Yeah, I am searching for a "foreigner camp" too jajajjaja. If you find one please let me know :)
“Be authentic to your dreams. Be authentic to your own idea about yourself. Grind away at your own minds and bodies until you become your own invention. Be Mad Scientists.”
― Warren Ellis, Doktor Sleepless,
-findme at berzins*at*gmail------

berzins

Postby berzins » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:23 am

paul_bennett wrote:Greetings from Brazil! I also want to go there for the first time, probably in 2017!

We, international travelers, are up to quite a challenge to go there. When I started the list of "things to solve" I faced a few problems:(

(...)
Anyway, the preparation starts NOW, one year before.

Cheers!

I hear you, brother. I will buy a bike in wallwart (same model of the yellow bikes of Burning Man) and donate afterwards. Regarding tents, probably I will buy a Hexanyurt and sell aftewards, or donate to a friendly camp. Will rent a cargo van - RV's seems not to be worth the hassle.

Food will be chips, nuts, jerky, some fruit, soups and canned goods - anything with a long shelf life.

If you want to hook up and plan together let me know. I am flying in from Rio.

Best,
“Be authentic to your dreams. Be authentic to your own idea about yourself. Grind away at your own minds and bodies until you become your own invention. Be Mad Scientists.”

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:29 am

Welcome all.

Banding together to share resources is a great idea. Prepping and sorting things out may seem like a huge obstacle, but you can do this!

Berzins, be aware you cannot post your hexayurt for sale while on the playa. We saw a sign up for someone trying to sell their things before departure, and that sign promptly vanished. You can make arrangements beforehand and actually carry out the transaction, but you cannot post For Sale signs. If you plan on donating it, that is not the best plan unless agreed upon well in advance. Most people will not have enough room to haul out a full extra yurt. Please think this aspect through a little more. There is a reason tents with simple shade are an option used by thousands of travelers. No one has died of sleeping in a tent yet, as far as we know. You can get decent stakes with little effort. We still tent camp after all these years because is suits us and is not a huge pain in the ass as far as transportation or set up goes. There are vendors off playa who offer hexayurt rentals, although that can be expensive, and usually associated with a theme camp with dues. You have time to research and compare options, great that you are beginning early.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

berzins

Postby berzins » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:09 am

AntiM wrote:Welcome all.

Berzins, be aware you cannot post your hexayurt for sale while on the playa. We saw a sign up for someone trying to sell their things before departure, and that sign promptly vanished. You can make arrangements beforehand and actually carry out the transaction, but you cannot post For Sale signs. If you plan on donating it, that is not the best plan unless agreed upon well in advance. Most people will not have enough room to haul out a full extra yurt. Please think this aspect through a little more. There is a reason tents with simple shade are an option used by thousands of travelers. No one has died of sleeping in a tent yet, as far as we know. You can get decent stakes with little effort. We still tent camp after all these years because is suits us and is not a huge pain in the ass as far as transportation or set up goes. There are vendors off playa who offer hexayurt rentals, although that can be expensive, and usually associated with a theme camp with dues. You have time to research and compare options, great that you are beginning early.

Yup. I was thinking on conducting this strictly off BRC, but thank you for the heads up. And the donation would be to a friend~s camp that have been existing for a loooong time.

Thank you for pouring in your experience with the tent - I will take this into consideration.

Best,

Return to “The Greeter's Station”