Finding Home

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
sdudzic
Burning Since: 2017

Finding Home

Postby sdudzic » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:20 am

Hello All,

I have marked 2017 to be my "burner" year.

For all my life I have been chasing the American dream... big house, fast cars and all that jazz; only to find myself still wanting. This has brought to light the inner self that I have learned I had been neglecting in my pursuit. I have since made my new goal to find myself, my desires, passions, commitments and make real connections.

During the process of seeking avenues and guidance for self discovery/purpose, I found myself watching a video of Burning Man highlights. The video showed me that the things I wanted, I mean really truly want, really do/can exist. Seeing the freedom of being oneself, the genuine connections of soul, unbridled kindness, and purest of human expression has inspired me to make my pilgrimage from Connecticut to BRC in 2017. I could not be happier nor more enthused!

I have already started preparations by reading everything I can about being a virgin burner. I will be sure to post questions on these boards for the several logistic questions which I am accumulating. I will be travelling alone which will add to the logistics. Hoping to make a few contacts here so I have a small head start come 2017.

Look forward to finding home. Thanks for listening!

-Steve

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Finding Home

Postby Ratty » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:14 am

Steve, Welcome to ePlaya. It's easy to search all subjects here if you use a good search engine. Try this.

site:eplaya.burningman.org . then leave a space and add your desired subject. Like this....

site:eplaya.burningman.org Burner Express Bus

You'll get all eplaya results in your search.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:50 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:26 pm

Welcome!

Home indeed, although somewhat dysfunctional at times. Do you like camping?
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:05 am

Welcome.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

sdudzic

Postby sdudzic » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:22 am

AntiM wrote:Welcome!

Home indeed, although somewhat dysfunctional at times. Do you like camping?

There is camping involved??? oh rabbit balls... (sarcasm)

Yes I enjoy camping and being outdoors. Aside from the experience of art, culture and humanity, I am equally anticipating the challenge of surviving in the desert for a week. The only thing I am not looking forward to is lugging my stuff from Connecticut to BRC :( I will be travelling and arriving solo, so there will be an extra element of efficiency for me. Reading up on some good threads about this on ePlaya, good stuff!

"The best thing about dysfunction, is the fun in the middle of it"

- Steve

sdudzic

Postby sdudzic » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:27 am

Drawingablank wrote:Welcome.

Thanks!

I see you hale from NY. How do you make the trek to BRC? Land/Air? If the former, how long is the drive?

-Steve

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:08 am

I have driven it but never again. It's 2700 miles and takes about 4 days unless you want to spend massive amounts of time in the car daily. Going is fairly fun - but sitting in the car day after day post event I find hellish to say the least.

I now fly out and keep my big stuff in a storage locker in Fernley, Nv.

Edit - there are folks that actually enjoy the post burn ride home as It helps them decompress back to the default world, so you will find other opinions on this as well.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:19 pm

Don't build too many expectations about BM. It's a lot of fun, but a lot of BM is what you make out of it, not what it makes out of you. If your "real life" is leaving you unfulfilled, it may be because of the expectations you placed on it. The same thing can happen at BM, so go there with your eyes open and let things happen as they do.

What BM can give you is a reason to do things you'd normally not have a reason to do in real life, like create art or participate in projects. You should also check out your local regional burner community and build your connections. Those communities can be as good, or better than, what you get out of BM itself.

Have a great time!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Savannah » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:29 pm

BBadger wrote:Don't build too many expectations about BM. It's a lot of fun, but a lot of BM is what you make out of it, not what it makes out of you. If your "real life" is leaving you unfulfilled, it may be because of the expectations you placed on it. The same thing can happen at BM, so go there with your eyes open and let things happen as they do.

Agreed 100%.

Welcome, Steve! :D
*** 2016 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Return to “The Greeter's Station”