I can't wait to be there

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Nacho
Burning Since: 2018

I can't wait to be there

Postby Nacho » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:50 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm Nacho from Spain and I'm 38. I want to celebrate my 40 birthday there thats why I've already started planning the trip. A lot of questions, and a lot of things to manage to be there, I'll be reading s much as i can to make it good. I want to go flying from Spain to LA or Sant Francisco and there rent a RV for the whole festival. Any advice???
Thanks.
Nice to be here.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Re: I can't wait to be there

Postby maladroit » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:07 am

Welcome to ePlaya! Setting this up from overseas can be difficult. I would recommend that, if you want to use an RV, you need to think about renting it NOW. People are already reserving their RVs for that week.

If you cannot rent an RV...you can also get a tent, water, and food in Reno. If you can buy a Burner Express ticket, then you will get on a bus that carries you directly to Burning Man!

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:36 am

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!

You might want to check this out: http://regionals.burningman.org/regionals/europe/spain/
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:11 pm

Welcome
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

Nacho

Postby Nacho » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:57 pm

Thanks for your reply Drawingablank, Elderberry and maladroit.

First thing, sorry for my short english, I'm spanish and I'm still learning.
I think the simpler way to get there from Spain could be fly to LA and there rent a RV (cheaper than Reno), in that way I can carry with the water, bike, food and i have a place to sleep but, I would like to be more in touch with the dessert using a tent. I understand that it can be much more difficult knowing that I have to buy everything in Reno (even the bike and tent) and trying to carry as many things as I can with me. Is Reno full of people trying to find everything that week? I supose that the answer is a big yes and then is harder to find what i need and the price raises.
Any suggestion???

Also I would like to say that I'm Filmmaker and I would like to participate doing what I can do (shoot and edit) for who needs me, where can I offer my job there?
I would like to go as soon a possible but I think it's impossible for me get the money to at BM at 2017, so 2018 will be my year.

Again, thanks for everything.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:23 am

The businesses in Reno prepare for the incoming crowd, and no they don't raise their prices, as many are chain stores and do not control that. Bikes can be hard to find last minute, but there are ways to reserve one. Also, by participating here and in other social media sites, you may find kindred spirits who will want to join forces, make or join a camp, shared resources can often help a great deal. Plus, have you ever driven an RV?

As a filmmaker, you will need to clear any project through Media Mecca. If you want to find collaborators, you can check out Spark.

https://spark.burningman.org/

You will figure this out! See you in the dust!
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:03 am

Welcome Nacho. You can find most of your questions answered here. Good thing you have plenty of time to read and plan. You could....
Fly into San Francisco bringing as much of your gear as possible on the plane. Then you stay with someone that you have made arrangements ahead of time. Take the Burner Express Bus that stops in Reno for food and supply shopping. (You buy your water in advance from them. Bring empty containers and fill up when you get to the event.) Then you either camp alone or with others that are expecting you. Spend some time on here and other social media sites and someone will adopt you. Or join a camp. No hurry. You'll figure it out. Think of it as childbirth. Nothing to be afraid of. Other people do it and live.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Nacho

Postby Nacho » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:00 am

Thank you AntiM and Ratty.
I'll be reading here everything because the logistic traveling from Spain is difficult, and more even if you are going alone, i'm not sure if any of my friends are coming with me yet.
I've never driven a RV. It's that a problem? There is anything that I should know? I'll learn how to use the tanks and everything before rent it of course, but is there something else?
I will check the Spark, thanks for all again.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:38 am

You're welcome, Nacho.

Driving a large RV is nothing like driving a truck or car. There are blindspots, the acceleration and braking feel quite a bit different, turns are wider, and backing a large vehicle like that is tricky for beginners. I am not saying you cannot do it, I worry for ANYONE who has never driven something that big. My friend had the lights at the end of his tent crushed by a person in a rented pickup truck pulling a large trailer who did not know how to take a wide turn when pulling over. I find this a bit scary. Just something to think about when considering options. If you are confident, go for it of course.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

Return to “The Greeter's Station”