Virgin from Virginia First Burn

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Jeremy757jones
Burning Since: 2017

Virgin from Virginia First Burn

Postby Jeremy757jones » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:42 am

Hello all! My gf and I will be attending our first burning man this year. We will be driving 40 hours west from Virginia to Nevada. For my first year am I better off setting up my own camp or trying to join a camp? Also I'm bringing a 10x20 carport for a shade structure, is a structure with a 10x20 footprint too large? Thanks you

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: Virgin from Virginia First Burn

Postby lucky420 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:22 am

Hola and hello...

No that footprint is not to large, not at all.

Many camps will start recruiting for new members soon. Some charge dues some don't.

Be sure to read the first timer/survival guide on burningman.org. Lots of helpful info there too.

No question is stupid but if it is easily found, you might takes some guff for asking.

Stick around, we don't bite. Well at least not to hard... :twisted:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:12 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

Straightveg
Burning Since: 2012

Postby Straightveg » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:41 pm

Greetings from a fellow Virginian, and welcome to eplaya! Remember to pace yourself and take breaks on that drive. As long as you have space to safely carry the shade structure on the way in you're fine. As for camping with/without a theme camp, 'better' is subjective. I had a blast going solo with no responsibilities to anyone else's schedule or needs, but can also see the benefits of involvement with community meals, events, etc.

Edit to add: Are you sure you really want to drive all that way? For me it's much easier to fly into Reno from the east coast. if you split the cost the drive can be cheaper, but it still takes significantly longer. I don't have paid time off so it's more cost effective to pay a bit more for a plane ticket and work the full week before the burn rather than leaving early.
Black Rock City or and Bust Dust!
torrey.smith wrote:As they say, make a man a fire and you warm him for a night. Set a man on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life. (Or was it a fish?)
-Sarge

Jeremy757jones

Postby Jeremy757jones » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:38 pm

Yea my girl and I have been wanting to drive across the country for awhile so we are seizing the opportunity. How

Do you just buy all your water,food, and camping stuff after you fly there?

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:05 pm

Jeremy and friend, welcome. Your shade structure is not too big. If you think it is, (Or if you don't want to travel across country with that much stuff), reconfigure it. Clamshell style is your carport with the legs left off of one side. This makes a flat topped roof. Count the different lengths of pipe and see if you like a different shape and height. One 10 by 10 section can become quite cozy with a flat top. Put those 2 unused pipes on as the front legs and have a nice slanted roof. (tall in front) Have fun with it. The manufacturers original configuration is merely a suggestion. Like the picture on a food package.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Straightveg
Burning Since: 2012

Postby Straightveg » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:10 am

I rented a box truck and camped in the back rather than using a tent my first year. You'd be surprised how much of your camping kit can fit in luggage if you remove excess packaging and pack your clothes around them. I did all my grocery and last minute oh crap shopping in Reno before heading out. Depending on what hotel you're staying at pre-event they may have a package reception policy so you could also ship stuff out to your hotel and ask them to hold it for you. Some theme camps and regional groups drive a big box truck with their camp infrastructure out to playa and have extra space available.
Black Rock City or and Bust Dust!
torrey.smith wrote:As they say, make a man a fire and you warm him for a night. Set a man on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life. (Or was it a fish?)
-Sarge

Jeremy757jones

Postby Jeremy757jones » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:11 pm

Great info thanks a lot

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Savannah » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:03 pm

Welcome, Jeremy757jones!

Carports are much beloved. Make sure not to turn your back on that carport for a second when you're raising it, though, even on a calm day. Those things will cartwheel down the street under the power of a freak gust. Have your rope, rebar, gloves and sledgehammers ready to go. :)
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Jeremy757jones

Postby Jeremy757jones » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:35 am

Image So as of right now this is my campsite setup.
Is this an appropriate size.

And yes I will have the carport lagged down with ratchet straps.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”