FNG from UT

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
claybcook
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

FNG from UT

Post by claybcook » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:02 am

Nearly a year ago, establishing a new life after 36 years of marriage, I wanted to look around and see all the things I'd been unable to consider previously. It hit me, almost as a symbolic statement, that going to Burning Man would be as far from my previous life as it was possible to go. I began to think about it and consider it, and now it's nearly come into being. The thing I had put on my plate mostly because it was so beyond my previous life has almost become reality. I'm studying blogs and registering here and joining a village (Anonymous Village) and volunteering and it's exciting and terrifying and my fingers are crossed.

I look forward to everything that awaits. At worst, I've spent a week in a dusty place. At best? Wow.

Hydration, sunscreen and kindness.
...extremely gruntled...very ept and full of ruth.

JayBobBoy
Burning Since: 2002

Re: FNG from UT

Post by JayBobBoy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:52 pm

Welcome to E-playa! Read, research and, if you still can't find the answer...fuck off!

Just kidding...

Ratty and some of the others will be along shortly to give you the official WELCOME!

You're in for the ride of your life!
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams

Mountain Bobby

Post by Mountain Bobby » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:57 pm

WELCOME!!! Also a new guy here, been reading the different posts for the months, most are either great info, or at the least funny. Hope to see you this summer!
Deviation from the norm will be punished unless it is exploitable
Nice zipper on those pants...mind if I try it out? :P
Cute toes taste better!

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:07 pm

Claybcook welcome. You are doin it right. Research and prep are more than half the fun. (I don't know how I managed that first year just reading the first timers guide.) Keep it as simple as possible. Don't volunteer too much. Don't plan elaborate gifts. Cover the necessities twice. Bring extra socks and underwear. Everyone has extra sunscreen, water and food but they won't give you their socks. Read all about it here. Use Google to search eplaya and you'll find answers to questions that you'll never ask. Join the party and we'll hug you in person at the Meet & Greet.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:03 pm

Welcome!

I live in Ogden. Have you considered attending our regional? Element 11 is really quite a good testing ground for tents and costumes and such.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:09 am

claybcook
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Post by claybcook » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:17 am

Oh, AnitM! One of the funniest lines ever from The Dick Van Dyke show. I'd never heard of the Element 11 event, but now I have. Good suggestion. Yes, I fully expect to blunder and stumble and stagger my way around the first Burn. There is a poorly defined line between funny and classy mistakes and the really clueless and foolish ones. I'm just hoping to stay on the funny side of that line.
...extremely gruntled...very ept and full of ruth.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:58 pm

Welcome, claybcook!

. . . I did once give away some socks, but the person was nice and gifted me some fishnets. :lol:
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Return to “The Greeter's Station”