Hello from West LA

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
SabrinaMaxus
Burning Since: 2017

Hello from West LA

Post by SabrinaMaxus » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:33 pm

Hi everyone,

Some of you have already been very helpful with a question I had about tickets, but wanted to introduce myself as well! I live in West LA, but I'm originally from England, and have been out in the US for around 6 years. My husband (who grew up in LA..not England) and I are planning on participating in Burning Man this year, and really cannot wait. I'm really excited being in the midst of all the planning and prepping, and I can't wait to be there.
Burning Man has been on my wish list since I've been out here, and this year the opportunity too go came up as I missed out on tickets to Glastonbury Festival, which I have been going to for almost a decade. Now I know Burning Man will be a totally different experience and really the 2 aren't at all comparable, but I am looking forward to a familiar sense of camaraderie and fun, but also being pushed way out of my comfort zone.

We attended the LA Virgin Burners orientation at the weekend and were totally enthralled for 3 hours at all of the info we were given. Veteran burners seem to be a very inclusive and welcoming group, and for that I'm very grateful!

swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Re: Hello from West LA

Post by swampdog » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:23 am

Why in gods' name would you move from England to West LA.? As far as I'm concerned, the American southwest is rapidly becoming an uninhabitable hellhole.

The Pacific North West is cool, green, lovely. Not everyone has a tan! You'd like it, I'm sure.

Sorry, a bit distracted. Where was I? Welcome!
A burner friend has been to Glastonbury many many times and Burningman several times. From what I know of his experience: They're very different. Glastonbury is a big music festival. Burning Man is a big everything all the time comin' at ya full on BOOOYA festival. Very little fixed performance on fixed stage. You are the performance, life is the stage.

Huh. Probably shouldn't be writing at 2 AM on a Saturday, all drunked up and half-high. Oh well. So sue me. Weed is legal in THIS state.

Best of luck. BMan can be an awesome experience. Your burn is what you make it. Hope you make a great one.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:35 am

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

SabrinaMaxus
Burning Since: 2017

Post by SabrinaMaxus » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:36 am

Thanks folks!

Sounds like a great Saturday night to me! And I should clarify..Los Angeles not Louisiana 8) Still a bit hellhole-ish.

And I certainly hear you on the Glasto vs Burning Man perspective. I'm 'ready' (can a virgin ever really be?!) for a totally different experience.
And on that note..I'll get back to planning..

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:35 pm

I knew you meant Los Angeles. I'm from southern Ca. Welcome to eplaya.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to “The Greeter's Station”