Coming in from AUS for 2018

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
KIRBS06
Burning Since: 2018

Coming in from AUS for 2018

Post by KIRBS06 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:18 pm

Hey everyone! I hope you're all well.

I'm planning on heading over from Australia for the 2018 Burning Man. I was looking at booking a tour to organise all the tricky bits for me but I don't feel like that is a very 'in the spirit' way of doing it. I was wondering if I might find a group that would be going from somewhere in the US and meeting up with them. I would love to rent an RV or Van but we drive on the other side of the road here and I'm a little nervous to drive over there.

This has been such a dream of mine for years now so I can't wait, I've given myself plenty of time to get organised so I'm sure it will all work out in the end.

Look forward to chatting to you guys, all the best x
Ms Kirbs

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Coming in from AUS for 2018

Post by AntiM » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:05 pm

Welcome!

Sounds like the Burner Express would be a good fit for you. Lots of time to research it. Also, go look at the theme camp forum, see what types of camps are recruiting here on eplaya, ask questions, a lot of questions. Chat us up all over the board, maybe you'll find some folks you click with.

If you're willing to tent camp, that opens more options. You have over a year to try it out!

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:45 am

Hello Ms Kirbs!

My friend Lau and I run a Facebook group for Australians headed to the burn each year, you can find this year's here; Aussies on the Playa 2017.

If you join up you'll get to see the last couple of weeks of chatter before this year's burn and we'll post the link to next year's group in there once we create it. It's useful for us to have a place to talk about the specific challenges of coming from so far away, to clue each other in on weird little American Idiosyncrasies we might not be expecting and even to organize selling tickets locally or getting a group together to form a camp.

I look forward to seeing you on the playa at 'Straya Day next year!

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:59 am

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:48 pm

Welcome, Ms Kirbs! :D
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

FirstTImerChris

Post by FirstTImerChris » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:34 pm

KIRBS,

I'm in the same boat!
Found this thread helpful. I also emailed the regional Australian contacts for more info and they directed me to similar FB Pages.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:16 pm

Happy New Year, Ms Kirbs!
Starting your planning more than a year in advance promises well.
How are your plans coming along now?
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Healing Arts, Body Paint & Piano Bar
No phones, tobacco, or politics in our public area, please.

In the 3:00 G Plaza this year

Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!

Email: elliotsbikes@outlook.com

Charzzam

Post by Charzzam » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:39 am

I'm heading to Burning Man from OZ this year. I'm hoping to get a flight booked the end of this week. Currently Air NZ have flights around $1000. return. Fingers crossed they stay that price for a few more days.

This year will be my first BM, my son has been to a few of them and I'm stepping into his world. My son is with a group and I'm hoping to join in, I've been told it's all good.

I plan on getting into San Fransisco, seeing some friends then heading to BM. I've been looking at motorhomes and the cost is way out there. Im exploring tent options, with a tarp. Lots of dreaming and web searchers for how to work it, it's going to be a long 8 months

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by Papa Bear » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:47 am

Welcome, Charzzam.

Are you getting a directed ticket via you son's camp? If not, be aware that there's a lot of competition for tickets in the main sale. I've heard more than once that the extra cost of the presale tickes can be worth it when coming from overseas (and Oz in particular), since you can often save more than the difference by locking airfare in early.

Depending on how handy you are and how much time you'll have in the States prior to BM, it may be worth looking into building something like a monkey hut for shade - though if your son is a regular, I'm sure he'll have more specific advice that fits your situation.

You're also likely to discover that it's much cheaper to buy your camping gear in the states than in Oz (or so my Aussie wife and in-laws tell me).

Return to “The Greeter's Station”