My group bailed and now I am left alone!!

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
MClimaco
Burning Since: 2017

My group bailed and now I am left alone!!

Post by MClimaco » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:17 pm

Hello,

This is my first time going to Burning Man I have been really looking forward to this for a long time. I was finally was able to get tickets but my friends decided they no longer wanted to go. I will be coming from NYC and this is my first time going. I was hoping someone could help me connect with a camp or join a group. I will do what I can to contribute and hoping someone help point me in the right direction :) any help is appreciated!!

Best,
Michael

spacetime
Burning Since: 2014

Re: My group bailed and now I am left alone!!

Post by spacetime » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:58 am

Maybe this is for the best, it puts you in a position to rely on yourself. There are lots of threads on here about people offering camps and others in similar situations to yourself. Start by using the search or by using google to search for what your issues are and adding the word eplaya.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:02 am

Welcome. Since this is Greeter's, do tell us more about yourself.

As for a group to join, look through the Theme Camp forum, see who is recruiting. Look through last year's theme camps and reach out. But mostly let folks get to know you by interacting. All we know about you is you're a solo New Yorker. What possibly would go wrong?

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:45 am

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Sham

Post by Sham » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:00 pm

Hi Michael, I am another east coaster here.
Burning Man can be an amazing leap of faith. It's possible to make all your plans and arrangements, then plan on camping solo. You'll make friends with neighbors and you won't be alone.
There are also camps that are open to new recruits, but that's not necessary.
Good luck with your plans and I'm sure everything will work out perfect.

spacetime

Post by spacetime » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:51 pm

Oops. Welcome!

misfit
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Post by misfit » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:16 am

camp alone for your first time. no one telling you what to do, your on your own time schedule. enjoy the burn. camps and villages are not necessary to having a great time. they can sometimes kill your time on playa with unneeded drama.
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.

BeeWeeDee
Burning Since: 2012

Post by BeeWeeDee » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:20 pm

Take your ticket, take off and go. The first year I went in a small hybrid car with a monkey hut, tent, kitchen, food, water, bicycle and a ticket from the OMG sale. I camped out along the way after about three weeks preparation. Once there, I camped solo and had one of the best experiences of my life. I don't want to see you regret not going.
The next morning you will wake up pretty much your old self except that a very unusual 16 hours will have been added to your store of life experience.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:18 am

There's always a village like Hushville. No dues, you're solo camping, but camping with others who are friendly and would have your back if you needed help or company. We specialize in assisting newbies.

https://www.hushville.com/

aschey

Post by aschey » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:50 am

Hi mate,

The exact same happened to us. We were due to come with about 14 people from London, but only 2 of us ended up seeing it through and getting tickets.

We have no idea where we'll pitch our camp, but quite happy to freestyle it when we get there.

If you don't find anything then let me know and we can try and set something set up.

Best,

Alex

swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Post by swampdog » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:37 pm

Some of the best camps are groups of first timers who just band together for support and end up camping together year after year. There have been a couple-three "Orphans" camps that start up on eplaya, people say, "Hey, you're solo? Let's camp together". Some of the orphan camps end up running for several years.

epiazza
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by epiazza » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:32 pm

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise!

As others have said, use the year to really explore and experience things on your own terms. Seeing what you want, when you want, around your own sleeping schedule, and joining up with others/moving on as you please is really a great way to do a first burn.

That being said come meet some burners first! There is a weekly happy hour in NYC (https://www.facebook.com/groups/NYCBMHH/) and House of Yes is always putting on burner-esque events that are well attended
xoxo Big Red

leonardodv

Post by leonardodv » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:09 am

Hi Michael,

Same here!! Long story, but my friends just told me they can also not make it.

I am coming from Europe and currently have a camper reserved for up to 7 people. Will drive from San Francisco to Merce to pick up the camper and then go to Burning Man.

I'll write a longer post this evening probably where I will offer places and tell a bit more about me.

Let me know if that would interest you.

Kind regards!
Leo.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:46 pm

MClimaco and leonardodv, maybe you should meet up with this fella I've linked below--his people also bailed on him. It's an old, old story . . . round about June, people start realizing the expense and work that goes into the trip, and back out of it, leaving the Last One Standing.

viewtopic.php?f=95&t=81816

If most of us had waited for our best friends to go, we'd never have made it at all.

You don't need anyone's permission to form your own camp! You only need to register (early in the year) if you want to be placed on specific real estate.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

anghared44
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Street Life

Post by anghared44 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:34 am

Not sure if anyone is still looking for a home, but we've got space! We're Street Life, a Sesame Street-inspired hip hop music camp. We're on the smaller side, but we have plenty of room and happily make space for orphans every year (that’s how we’ve met some of our favorite fellow burners). We throw afternoon hip-hop happy hours on Mon, Wed, Fri and otherwise just hang out playing music and sharing drinks and snacks.

We're an easygoing, fun camp without a lot of rules. We have a few RVs this year, some people camping in tents, a communal outdoor shower, a shipping container kitchen, and a big shade structure that serves as a living room / chill space. We'll be at 930 & E this year. If interested, email us at streetlifecamp@gmail.com. Hope to see you out there!

Cheers,

Bronwen

catharun
Burning Since: 2016

Post by catharun » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:24 pm

I'd love to buy a ticket from one of your bailer buddies! Are you still on speaking terms with them? FYI, I showed up last year by myself and had a great first burn. Want to do so again! Help!

Travelle1
Burning Since: 1999

Post by Travelle1 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:46 am

we're looking for a third to share our trailer, it sleeps 3, we do not have a camp. we are man, JC and woman, Ellen friends , pleace call Ellen 415 867 4118 if interested

Chairman Meow
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: A Shack of Sit

Post by Chairman Meow » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:42 am

My first burn was going to be 2006... then 2007... and each time the people who I was going to camp with dropped out. Finally in 2008 I said I'm going come hell or high water. And I went. On my own. It was mind blowing. Life changing. Surreal.
The people who I was going to camp with never did go, but I wound up hooking up with a great group of people. I still camp with them, but I know people who like to camp independently and think it's better that way. Quieter when you want to sleep and no responsibilities.
You'll meet people. You'll meet your neighbors. Bring stuff to share. Help them set up their camp. You'll have an amazing time!

Ridiculous Allah

Post by Ridiculous Allah » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:06 am

Hej!
Im in the same situation.
No bunch no camp.
Would be great to have some links to follow.
All the best!
x

Return to “The Greeter's Station”