Hello from Michigan, cosmic truck camper coming in for a landing

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
moteofdust
Burning Since: 2017

Hello from Michigan, cosmic truck camper coming in for a landing

Post by moteofdust » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:07 pm

Hello, virgin from Ann Arbor michigan here, riding in on a magical cosmic truck camper (VOYAGER3) of coconut water and understanding. Loving the prep and fully inside the warm burrito of anticipation as we get close.

I'm a timelapse photograher, huge astrophotography and day-to-night exposure ramping enthusiast, spacex nut and hope to cut my teeth on the logistics of shooting on the playa. Slowly learning about some of the art plans am excited to attempt some shots. If you have some suggestions or are part of some and want some shots let me know. Can't guarantee anything but all footage is free and open if it works out and is any good. If you want to meet up that would be cool too... photographers, space/night sky enthusiast, timelapsers it would be great to chat. No camp at the moment....No clue how to find anyone or anything but loving it already, who knows....

MrFortuna
Burning Since: 2016

Re: Hello from Michigan, cosmic truck camper coming in for a landing

Post by MrFortuna » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:48 pm

Howdy, fellow Michigan burner here (Jackson area). Figured I'd poke my head in and say hello.

Make sure you take a day (a few days, or all the days) away from the camera. Not sure you've looked in to how bad the playa dust will be on your equipment, or what precautions you've taken, but I'd suggest double checking everything. The stuff loves to ruin good equipment.

Psychic Katee
Burning Since: 2019
Camp Name: No

Post by Psychic Katee » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:26 am

Hello,
New 2019 first time. I'm Katee, nice to meet you, loving light Katee

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:34 pm

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

phoenix5
Burning Since: 2019

Post by phoenix5 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:14 pm

I am new as well. Renting a trailer and looking for a place to camp as well. Would be delighted to connect

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:42 pm

Hi moteofdust! Welcome to eplaya. You might want to consider researching the Black Rock Observatory! In addition to being the Desert Wizards of Mars, they are a group of serious astronomers who bring an observation dome (assembled without fasteners, just clever custom fabricated panels that fit together like a puzzle, if I recall correctly) and a high-end telescope for folks to look through every year on playa. They also provide some astro-science related seminars at their camp throughout the week. Check 'em out.

Also, I second MrFortuna's solid advice above. It can be done, but take necessary precautions. And plan to step away from the gear some days while you're out there, you'll be glad you did.

See ya in the dust!

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:02 pm

D'oh!.. way to go von braun, responding to a post from over a year ago.. haha! Oh well, hope the OP had a good burn and left with his camera gear still in reasonably good shape.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”