Old and Cynical

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
MrHedgehog
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Radio Electra

Re: Old and Cynical

Post by MrHedgehog » Wed May 29, 2019 10:59 pm

Wow ... how time files! :shock:

I thought that I'd bump this old thread since I'm now even older, and possibly even more cynical, than before ... but I finally got a real playa-name, and so have just changed my username here as I get ready for my 4th TTITD.

I'm also likely to start whoring for on-playa volunteers soon, so it's kinda fun to re-read this old thread and see just how much further down the BM rabbit-hole I've fallen since my first post here in 2017. :wink:

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Thu May 30, 2019 7:05 am

MrHedgehog wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:59 pm

I thought that I'd bump this old thread since I'm now even older, and possibly even more cynical, than before ... but I finally got a real playa-name, and so have just changed my username here as I get ready for my 4th TTITD.

I'm also likely to start whoring for on-playa volunteers soon, so it's kinda fun to re-read this old thread and see just how much further down the BM rabbit-hole I've fallen since my first post here in 2017. :wink:
You old whore you
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Thu May 30, 2019 8:26 am

lucky420 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 7:05 am
MrHedgehog wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:59 pm

You old whore you
Ron Jeremy.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

MrHedgehog

Post by MrHedgehog » Thu May 30, 2019 8:50 pm

lucky420 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 7:05 am
You old whore you
Thank you for recognizing my "talents"! :P

ygmir wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:26 am
Ron Jeremy.
I would never claim to be "THE Hedgehog", I'm just a plain old common average Mr Hedgehog.

Even then; I've just found out that there's already a Ranger Hedgehog, and that that could cause some confusion on the radio.

Jeez ... you'd almost think that this whole darned vacation-in-the-desert thing had been getting along fine for decades without me ... or something silly like that. ;-)

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu May 30, 2019 11:56 pm

Hedgehog. I hate to break it to ya but.... You'll have to use a different radio name. My friend had to change his for radio use because some other guy was too simular. How about just 'hog'?
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

MrHedgehog

Post by MrHedgehog » Fri May 31, 2019 12:29 pm

Ratty wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:56 pm
How about just 'hog'?
Yep, I agree, I expect that I'm going to have to come up with yet-another name to add to the confusion ... but gawd, I hope that I can find something better than "Hog"! :lol:

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Fri May 31, 2019 1:04 pm

How about Mr, Mr. So on the radio it would be Mr, Mr, Mr, Mr.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri May 31, 2019 3:39 pm

Warthog is pure gold for a callsign.

MrHedgehog

Post by MrHedgehog » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:25 pm

Ratty wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 1:04 pm
How about Mr, Mr. So on the radio it would be Mr, Mr, Mr, Mr.
Hold on ... wasn't that one of the gags on the classic "Police Squad (in color)"?

Are you teasing me, young lady? :shock: :wink:

Token wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 3:39 pm
Warthog is pure gold for a callsign.
Hahaha ... Yep! :lol:

But the chance that there hasn't been a "Ranger Warthog" in the last 30-years has got to be approaching absolute-zero ... not that I've actually fallen down the rabbit-hole labelled "Ranger" ... just to make that clear!

Honey B Adger
Burning Since: 2019

Post by Honey B Adger » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:12 am

Lol, my research skills have served me well!
This is awesome! I feel like I just stumbled onto gold here...Real burners talking shit!
And there's some really good advice/tips/guides mixed in too!

Mr Hedgehog...
You advised a newbie a while back not to sign up to volunteer too much for the first time out there.

This will be my first BM, and I wanted to get involved immediately, so I signed up right away to get placed on a team that I would like. I planned to sign up for a fair amount of volunteer time.

Has your opinion changed on this topic? If not, what do you suggest is the best way to get involved? And what if I don't get placed with a camp? What are my best options then?

Thank you

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:38 am

Being placed with a camp has no bearing on one's volunteering (other than with honoring camp responsibilities).

One's first year in BRC will lead to yummy, dusty revelations.

Some will be welcome; some will be novel.

Leave room for the unexpected.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

MrHedgehog

Post by MrHedgehog » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:18 pm

Honey B Adger wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:12 am
You advised a newbie a while back not to sign up to volunteer too much for the first time out there.

This will be my first BM, and I wanted to get involved immediately, so I signed up right away to get placed on a team that I would like. I planned to sign up for a fair amount of volunteer time.

Has your opinion changed on this topic? If not, what do you suggest is the best way to get involved?
Nope, I'm afraid that it hasn't, and that I'm even firmer in my opinion that burgins really should not be signing up to volunteer before they've actually experienced BRC.

IMHO, Gaminwench is absolutely right ... let your first year be the community's gift to you.

Get out and explore the city, especially the nooks and crannies and events that the 20-something EDM-party crowd never sees.

Make the effort to really talk to people when you find strange camps to visit, and let your surprise/enthusiasm/gratitude be your gifts to them.

Give yourself space to experience as much of that as you can ... there's absolutely no way that you'll be able to explore more than a fraction of the city during the week.

And then, if you aren't suffering from an overload, and you find yourself falling in love with the place, and are inspired with the desire/need to give something back ... THEN you'll have no trouble at all finding opportunities posted daily at the three V-Spots, both from the departments that make the city function, and from camps or art projects that find that they need some last-minute help.

Heck, if you're actually talking to people, then you may even find that one of the camps that you discover and love turns out to need a bit of extra help ... and you might find yourself on the track to getting invited to camp with them next year.

That would be my advice ... and part of the reason for it is that everyone loses track of time (to a certain extent) on the playa, and so both volunteer departments, and camps too, suffer from newbies that are just so overwhelmed that they miss the shifts that they have signed up for; which then puts a huge extra burden on those folks that actually do turn up and need to get the shift's work done.

Some depts just refuse to allow burgins to volunteer at all anymore, and some will limit the number of new-volunteers on a shift (how ever many years they've been to BRC) ... either because the job really needs to be done, or because its just not fair on everyone else.
Honey B Adger wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:12 am
And what if I don't get placed with a camp?
???

Maybe it's just a slip of the digital pen, or your use of langauge ... but to my ear, you've made it sound as though there's some overall authority that places people with a camp, and that's just not the case.

You can find a place in a camp, but that's up to you and, far more importantly, the camp itself and its recruitment policy.

As it is ... it is already late-in-the-day to get a spot in most camps, especially since you don't already have a ticket.

There's nothing wrong with not being in an organized camp, and some people distinctly prefer it, including some folk who spend a lot of time volunteering in the various ORG departments.

Anyway ... networking with burners in your local community, attending events and volunteering off-playa with camps/projects is one of the best ways to get seen and known, and to have opportunities come up. Even if that doesn't help you this year, it'll put you on a path for next year.

Best Wishes, and Good Luck! :wink:

Honey B Adger

Post by Honey B Adger » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:09 pm

Thank you, this was very helpful, encouraging and provided some relief. I wanted to make sure that I did my fair share of participating, but I did not consider the temporal phenomena that may occur, or the emotional impact this experience may have.
and you find yourself falling in love with the place, and are inspired with the desire/need to give something back ...
In Love and inspired? Yes, I would prefer to be moved by an interaction, making the gifting or volunteering a true personal contribution. I am grateful for your insight. I may be letting my outer robot, excel spreadsheets, and over-planning get in the way of the connectivity. I understand. I can plan for my own survival, but i can't "pre-live" the interactions I hope to experience with my fellow humans.
And what if I don't get placed with a camp?
This was poor wording on my part. Sometimes, the thoughts in my head do not make it all the way to the keyboard! Based on some of the reading materials, I was under the impression that burgins should try to apply to theme camps or organized registered groups. Giving them the opportunity to volunteer and learn from the experienced burners. I posed the question in reference to volunteering.

But, based on the opinions already provided, if I find myself solo camping, I can volunteer for any camp or a department that has posted an opportunity.

Is it late in the game for 2019? Yeah, probably for a burgin. That's ok, because then I am really early for 2020!

Thank you, everyone for the advice. Greatly appreciated. :)

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:49 pm

Honey: learn about volunteering here: https://burningman.org/event/volunteering/
Then go here: https://profiles.burningman.org/participate/ to create a profile and volunteer

It's generally advised not to volunteer with a group your first year. Instead just go to the Burn and meet people and learn. You will make friends and find out just where you fit in and how you can help.
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

Sham

Post by Sham » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:08 pm

Volunteering is something that should be done starting your second year. Trust the veterans on this. You'll be mesmerized and overwhelmed by what you'll be seeing.

Gifting is also another thing that should be gently approached. So many people really want to bring gifts their first year, but gifting can also be precarious. It's not trick-or-treat where everyone needs to get a trinket. By the second year, you'll have the hang of things.

Honey B Adger

Post by Honey B Adger » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:08 pm

Thank you for the advice!

Return to “The Greeter's Station”