Introduction and Adulation

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Amedao
Burning Since: 2019

Introduction and Adulation

Post by Amedao » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:17 pm

Long time curious lurker and admirer of the strange and exotic, I grew up with the hint of Burning Man and a whisker brush of curiosity but life and family took up most of my time and attention. I am 36 now, originally from Seattle WA and now in North Carolina near the coast (there's a culture shock), I moved down here because of love and family and i'm still down here for the family at this point. I have 3 kids and one adopted one that is older and i'm trying to steer him on the right path to being self sufficient.
This last month in October for some reason Burning Man came across my radar, I don't know if it was a youtube crawl or maybe IMGUR (I blame imgur for a lot of late nights) but I saw that 2017 BM had come and gone and I felt... a great... i don't know, I honestly don't know as i'm writing this... like an itch I can't scratch and deep need to go and plan and "prepare" for something, as if I was about to move again to somewhere far off place and I had a bazillion things to think of and no focus to do it with. So... I have I have started to think and to plan and calculate and guesstimate what I would need, how would I get there, what would I pack, who would I bring... etc etc. So I am here now to introduce my self, "HELLO" and learn all I can because I don't right now know when i'm going... but i'm going to go to Burning Man and I have a STRONG feeling its going to be amazing and scary and beautiful and painful and soul wrenching and peaceful... and maybe I just want it to be all those things and more, I don't know but I want to.
So I greet you all as newly knowledged no one, needing to navigate and needle his nose narrowly into your novel nest. And ask that you take care of me on this journey or at least help guide me on my way. *Bows*

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Re: Introduction and Adulation

Post by gaminwench » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:28 am

Hi, and welcome.

READ EVERYTHING!!!! :shock:

Then, when you have questions, we'll be happy to help (most of us, anyway) 8)

Settle in, you're bound for quite a ride.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:27 am

Hola and hello...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:42 am

Hi there and Welcome to ePlaya :D

I am here mostly on the same drive. Just one thing: do not make (any) expectations, but you already knew that.
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:14 am

Amedao, Welcome to ePlaya. We'll chat later. It's coffee time.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

Amedao

Post by Amedao » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:55 am

Still reading everything, looking through the past subject topics, looking on the official BM website and looking through all the archives from 86 and on. I love how its evolved and grown more elaborate over the years and controversial changes that happened in '96 and '04 and a few other times. But I love all of it, i want more.
gaminwench wrote:Hi, and welcome.

READ EVERYTHING!!!! :shock:

Then, when you have questions, we'll be happy to help (most of us, anyway) 8)

Settle in, you're bound for quite a ride.

Amedao

Post by Amedao » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:56 am

Ratty wrote:Amedao, Welcome to ePlaya. We'll chat later. It's coffee time.

Coffee time is always good, I make coffee (latte's) for my SO in the morning.

JohnnyA
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Real Pirate Radio

Post by JohnnyA » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:48 pm

Amedao wrote:... but i'm going to go to Burning Man and I have a STRONG feeling its going to be amazing and scary and beautiful and painful and soul wrenching and peaceful... and maybe I just want it to be all those things and more, I don't know but I want to.
Maybe I'm just old and cynical, but you're sounding a bit like you may be heading into the territory of hopes-and-dreams and unrealistic-expectations.

May I recommend that you read both this article, and the comments on it, and take the message to heart. I think that you may have a happier time when you come out to Burning Man if you do ...

Burning Man Journal - This is Not the Utopia You’re Looking For

Amedao

Post by Amedao » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:38 pm

JohnnyA wrote:
Amedao wrote:... but i'm going to go to Burning Man and I have a STRONG feeling its going to be amazing and scary and beautiful and painful and soul wrenching and peaceful... and maybe I just want it to be all those things and more, I don't know but I want to.
Maybe I'm just old and cynical, but you're sounding a bit like you may be heading into the territory of hopes-and-dreams and unrealistic-expectations.

May I recommend that you read both this article, and the comments on it, and take the message to heart. I think that you may have a happier time when you come out to Burning Man if you do ...

Burning Man Journal - This is Not the Utopia You’re Looking For
I see your warning and hear you when you say that this place, this event, this experience is not going to be "enlightenment on a stick" that I can happily suckle on while taking a break from the dregs of "normal" living. Without writing small novels and maybe revealing a bit of TMI in this forum, the initial burst of enthusiasm that I expressed was just primarily finding said forum. I am at NO time coming into this group or decision or planing processes with rose colored glasses or preconceived notions or expectations. And you are absolutely correct that this event creates the environment that encourages one to look deeper to see what else there is. I personally am no stranger to pain of self change and know that the hardest thing to do is to un-program yourself from things that you have learned or taught as a child. I want to go to Burning Man specifically because it has people that looked inside and made a decision to not accept the easy road to do the Hard things in life and found something more meaningful because of it. It is that very thing that i'm looking for, the hard road, the inner introspection, that Blue light that reveals truth. I don't pretend to know all the answers but I do have a fairly good grasp on whats easy and whats good and meaningful. I try to teach these things to my kids, because they were never hinted at to me when I was growing up. I want to talk to strangers, I want to do new things, I absolutely want to hear other peoples opinions and perspectives about everything and anything.
But I thank you for you concern and your article and I understand that there could be a lot of people that think BM is a quick fix in one form or another. I'm looking for deeper waters.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:32 am

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Amedao

Post by Amedao » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:58 pm

Well I'm still making plans, still saving my pennys... I still really really want to go and I have more realistic expectations of what will be needed to get there from my failed attempt in 2018.
Finding and buying the gear, bags, water, non-perishable food stuffs not an issue.. Regular ticket price and potential car ticket also not a problem... Getting myself from Eastern NC to Nevada by plane, train, or automobile is a big factor. Second factor is that I need to get enough ducks lined up so that a 2 weeks (potentially) period of time of me being gone will not result in pets, people, or my job expiring on me.
At this point I pretty much have a good sense of what I wanna bring and what I will need to bring so that I'm able to be in inclusive, none mooping, comfortably expressive and self reliant burner. I have read and watched days and days of youtube and survival guides, individual ideas for specialized yurts, to simple non spoiling, high protein good for you meals you can make in easy to use tubes. DIY space man food...
I have a much better idea of where I want to camp in relationship to clock and the blue lights of salvation. I have a much better idea of how I want my camp setup and to have a safe and secure but none harming playa print. And I'm going to redouble my efforts to meet up and talk to people in my Wilmington back yard about there regional events..
Although I may have missed this year I was not idle or ignorant and will endeavor to build up the momentum to go this year in 2019... See you all there

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:40 am

Yes! We will see you in the dust!

Unless we're sleeping or drunk or distracted by shiny things or .....

SugarK

Post by SugarK » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:31 pm

Hi Amedeo! I just wanted to introduce myself - I'm new here too and I really can relate to your words...of that "need" to go to the burn. Just wanted to say HI and tell you that ;). Read my own intro here to hear a little about me and my reasons for needing (not wanting) to burn in 2019 - I really really hope we both make it next year!!

K

Return to “The Greeter's Station”