AJEEPGAL FROM CALI - VIRGIN BURNER

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
ajeepgal_86
Burning Since: 2018

AJEEPGAL FROM CALI - VIRGIN BURNER

Postby ajeepgal_86 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:21 pm

This will be my first year going to BM, ( should I get my hands on a ticket) I will be coming solo with my jeep in tow. I've wanted to go since I lived in Gerlach back in 1998 and my parents went and of course came home and talked about it nonstop. Sooooo as an adult (being the free spirit wild person I am) I want to go! I’d love to get into a camp, volunteer help out where needed (I've already signed up to volunteer on the burner profiles) and just have a great time for my first burn! Any help, info, advice or direction to a camp that might have room for me would be awesome! If not I’ll be the chick w the lifted jeep camping solo still having a blast!

We live every day, we only die once....

BBadger

Re: AJEEPGAL FROM CALI - VIRGIN BURNER

Postby BBadger » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:45 pm

There will be, no doubt, some camps seeking members that spring up on the forum. However, your best bet is to attend and get involved in some of the Burning Man regionals that take place before the main burn, and see if you can find some people you jive with. It'll also help you get involved with stuff in your local area, which makes it easier to keep connected and involved in things after the dust settles.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:39 pm

Hola and hello...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Dr. Pyro » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:38 am

It would help if we knew where you were from. Some camps need people who are local to their main people to help out with logistics.

ajeepgal_86

Postby ajeepgal_86 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:45 am

So true, would help if you knew where I was from. Doh! I'm in the bay area, San Fran area/central valley. :D

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:33 am

welcome!
I'm wondering the significance of "jeep in tow"? are you planning to drive it around in Black Rock City?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:13 am

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

ajeepgal_86

Postby ajeepgal_86 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:35 am

Jeep is tow cause I just don't know where I'll end up. :shock:

Sham

Postby Sham » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:23 am

ajeepgal_86 wrote:Jeep is tow cause I just don't know where I'll end up. :shock:

As you are probably aware, once you get to a camping spot, you're not allowed to drive a vehicle on the playa. Bring a bike for transportation around BRC.
What you may NOT be aware of, is if you bring a vehicle in tow that's not a registered Mutant Vehicle, you will need a vehicle pass for that as well as the one you are driving. A trailer does not need a vehicle pass.

Oh, and WELCOME TO EPLAYA!

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:48 pm

. . . It didn't sound like she planned on driving it all over the playa; just that her jeep is part of her mythos. :D

Stag Camp takes solo campers if 1) you know how to look after yourself, 2) don't need particular amenities other than social ties and a group shade, and 3) above all, are committed to Leaving No Trace. (Don't let it hit the ground!) They have an FB presence.

There are tons of other options out there too, but you'll want to hunt them down and tell them why you're a good fit. (It's very similar to a job search).

Welcome, ajeepgal! :mrgreen:
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:18 am

Welcome, ajeepgal!

A towed vehicle which is not a mutant vehicle with an invite letter, or a handicapped conveyance with an invitation, will not be allowed through the Gate, it will sit in the impound lot. Don't bring it unless you are driving it!

https://burningman.org/event/art-perfor ... protocols/

Vehicles Not Allowed to Enter Black Rock City

Any motorized vehicle not listed above, including off-road recreational vehicles, may not enter Black Rock City. If you attempt to bring it to Burning Man you will be required to leave it at the Gate in an unsupervised lot, or bring it back home before you enter the event. Be aware that operating these vehicles at Burning Man can result in your vehicle being impounded, and your being fined by law enforcement and/or ejected from the event.

Towed or mounted secondary vehicles without invite letter. There have been instances of people traveling with motorcycles in or on their RVs for local transportation. The Gate will not allow these vehicles into the event.

ajeepgal_86

Postby ajeepgal_86 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:10 pm

Lol, it just means my jeeps coming with me, I'm bringing a small trailer 4'X6' ish (whatever I can find to use) just to carry all my stuff! Do small utility trailers need to be registered? :lol:

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:08 am

No they do not. We have several trailers, a 16' flatbed and a semi-enclosed silver trailer for our sofas, that Barbie Death Camp uses for our infrastructure and they get inspected (looking for stowaways I guess) but do not need a vehicle pass.

And what the hell happened to my avatar?

ajeepgal_86

Postby ajeepgal_86 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:57 pm

Well about your avatar, I took it!!!! :P
Another question - Will there be room at camp for my jeep and small trailer or will I need to park them elsewhere? I ask because I will be sleeping in my jeep! So wanted to know if it would be near the camp or if I would have to leave it somewhere and go back and forth to it?

JayBobBoy
Burning Since: 2002

Postby JayBobBoy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:15 pm

If your camping by yourself...no prroblem. Set up where you find room, arrange your camp how you like, and then start meeting your neighbors. I find gifts of alcohol to be a wonderful conversation starter...

If you join an established camp, just make sure you let them know your arrangements in advance. Most camps will ask how much space you need whether for a car/tent/yurt/whatever...

Joining a camp can be great for first timers, but don't be afraid to go it alone. Set up your camp and dive in. You won't be alone for long.....
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby Elliot » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:44 am

Welcome to e-Playa, Jeepgal!
As others have mentioned, you need to have a clear understanding of the vehicle policies.

I do understand that the Jeep is part of your General Travel Kit. You might, for example, go four-wheeling in the Jeep after Burning Man, before returning to the Bay Area.

But regardless of whether your Jeep is flat-towed or on a trailer, it will not be allowed thru the gate to Black Rock City -- unless you somehow buy a Vehicle Pass for it, and that would be a sore waste of a scarce Vehicle Pass.

If you arrive with the Jeep in tow, you will be instructed to park it in a storage lot before you can enter BRC. This might be OK, but there is no guarantee for the Jeep's safety while it sits there unattended.

If the Jeep is on a trailer, you may take the empty trailer with you into BRC without any special permission or cost.
Or you could drop the trailer with the Jeep on it in the storage lot. That makes it rather easy to steal, though.

There is no restriction on how much space you take up for your non-theme-camp, so long as you actually make use of that space.
Though, if you join a theme camp, that theme camp will have a specific area that they must fit everything into.

What do you tow the Jeep with?

Do you have any specific skills or interests that you plan to contribute with?

Your first year, you should not plan too much activity, because you will be busy just learning your way around. And you can certainly contribute plenty thru any of the official volunteer opportunities. Still, a fundamental concept is to make a personal contribution to the community of Black Rock City.

Just as an example, I repair bicycles as my personal contribution, and I patrol the fence around the Event (keeping people from sneaking in) as my official volunteer activity. Mind you, I worked up to this very gradually over many years.

Have you subscribed to Jackrabbit Speaks?
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Healing Arts, Body Paint & Piano Bar
Cell-Phone-Free & Non-Smoking in 2018!

-----Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude! -----

http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Awesome? Yes, Ma'am, we do awesome.

Sham

Postby Sham » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:00 pm

ajeepgal_86 wrote:Lol, it just means my jeeps coming with me, I'm bringing a small trailer 4'X6' ish (whatever I can find to use) just to carry all my stuff! Do small utility trailers need to be registered? :lol:

I think that the term "jeep in tow" means he is bringing the jeep with him and not really "in tow". Sort of like "dragging my ass out of bed". I'm not really dragging it. :roll:

Elliot

Postby Elliot » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:35 pm

Ah! Sham may have understood this better. The term "Jeep in tow" made me think you would tow the Jeep behind a larger motor vehicle. Jeepgal... do you mean that the Jeep is your transportation from the Bay Area to BRC -- you will be DRIVING IT, and towing the small trailer with the Jeep? This certainly makes more sense.

In that case... you simply need a Vehicle Pass for the Jeep. The trailer does not need anything -- it is considered an accessory to the Jeep, one might say.

(I am accustomed to large vehicles, and the term "in tow" has different meaning to me than "with mother-in-law in tow". ;-)
Here, I have a trailer in tow behind my bus.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:01 am

ajeepgal_86 wrote:Well about your avatar, I took it!!!! :P
Another question - Will there be room at camp for my jeep and small trailer or will I need to park them elsewhere? I ask because I will be sleeping in my jeep! So wanted to know if it would be near the camp or if I would have to leave it somewhere and go back and forth to it?

If you camp on your own in unreserved, non-theme-camp space (there is a lot of space, particularly on outer streets) you can sleep in your jeep just fine. (Bring a bike and a LOCK if you can; that way it doesn't matter how far out you go).

Most camps have cars and RVs within their borders. Some organized camps have firm plans of where vehicles go for reasons of aesthetics, efficiency, wind-blocking, and ease of arriving and departing. (If you're going to arrive late or leave early, mention this to your camp leadership so you can get in or get out without drama! Having an "early exit" pod is a nice feature.)

Some of the larger volunteer departments even have distant supplemental parking areas for those who don't car-camp, in order to keep camp more suited to living and operating properly. It really varies--every camp is different. If you join one, that's one of the things to discuss, but rest assured that it's not outrageous to car camp, and it's a reasonable thing to ask about.

If you look at one of the aerial maps with a good zoom, you'll see what a melange of tents, yurts, cars, RVS and structures are used and how some camps are very strict about where cars go, and others look more organic.

Elliot

Postby Elliot » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:00 pm

Here is a random shot that shows decent detail for this purpose.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:14 pm

Thank you, Elliot! Perfect illustration.

Elliot

Postby Elliot » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:28 pm

:P
Perfect? Yes, Ma'am, we do perfect. Please step right in. :wink:

Elliot

Postby Elliot » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:07 pm

'Nuther one.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:48 pm

A Jeep Gal, Welcome to ePlaya. Lots of folks go solo and sleep in their vehicle. Keep it as simple as possible yet all the comforts you need. Food, water, bike, shade and a comfortable bed. Suitable clothes for hot and cold weather. You can fill in the rest with a lot or a little. See you in the dust.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Return to “The Greeter's Station”