Denver 2018 Virgin

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
KellieDoll
Burning Since: 2018

Denver 2018 Virgin

Post by KellieDoll » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:01 pm

Ayoooo, everyone! I'm Kellie!
I am 28, and live in Denver, CO!
This year has been a year of personal discovery and growth... I feel like I am finally becoming who I am meant to be and I've realized how precious life is :)
A few months ago, I listened to Duncan Trussel talk about his first Burning Man on a podcast and it deeply resonated with me.
The art... the community... the freedom of expression... I feel like I belong there.
That led to obsessively watching all I could find on Youtube. It represents so much to me and I haven't even been yet, haha.

I'm really big on organizing and an experienced camper, so I've already made lists of what I need, travel options, gotten time approved off at work, etc. I plan on biting the bullet and purchasing presale in January just so I have that peace of mind. I've also submitted a volunteer form for Temple Guardian/Lamplighter :) Now just hoping to find folks to share the experience with!

<3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: Denver 2018 Virgin

Post by lucky420 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:57 pm

Hola and hello...

I think you’re gonna do just fine :coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:54 pm

Welcome KellieDoll.
YouTube is ok but but tends to concentrate on hot, young, sexy. Burning Man is a lot more than that. Check out https://survival.burningman.org/ and subscribe to The Jackrabbit Speaks here https://burningman.org/culture/stories/jrs/
Digging through Eplaya will give you a lot of information but watch out you don't step in the snark, especially on the older posts.
Later on there will be a lot of info at https://www.reddit.com/r/BurningMan/
Check on social media for local Burner groups and get togethers.
It's great that you are able and willing to spend the $1200.00 plus on a ticket but the past two years these tickets have been available right up until the gate opens.
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

KellieDoll

Post by KellieDoll » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:15 pm

Hello hello! ^_^ I sure hope so!

KellieDoll

Post by KellieDoll » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:27 pm

Oh, I definitely agree that there are tons of those and I avoided them lol. I saw a couple of those vids years ago and that kept me from looking further into the event until Duncan Trussel. I watched lots of personal vlogs, and Channels such as https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxu8jQ ... _mECT5Qq8w and https://www.youtube.com/user/halcyonstyn as well as what I could on BM.Org. However, I haven't been checked out Reddit I completely spaced that. Thank you!

Really? I'd love to not have to go for the higher priced tickets... I just kept reading/hearing how hard it was to secure tickets and whatnot. It got me spooked lol.

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by Papa Bear » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:53 pm

KellieDoll, the first thing I'd suggest (after reading the survival guide) is to get involved with and meet the local burner community here in Colorado. I'll PM you some links.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:45 pm

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:12 am

If I had the funds and was determined to go, I would buy the more expensive ticket early when they go on sale. Yes there are plenty of these offered up in the closer months leading up to BM and you may get one for less than what you would of paid in Jan/Feb but you might also get scammed...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:10 am

Welcome aboard.

Yeah, I agree, if you have the funds for a presale, definitely do that. Those last minute tickets are third party, and if you read the ticket forums here, people are posting desperate last minute pleas because someone took their money and they have nothing in hand. If you do buy a presale, then are lucky in the main sale, unloading the presale at the price you paid will be difficult. You might not even move it until later, at a reduced price ... hence the "tickets are always out there" mindset. It is a balancing act of peace of mind vs. finance and luck.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:02 pm

Welcome to ePlaya, KellieDoll!
For volunteering in your first year, Lamplighters should be a sure bet, since you will have plenty of co-workers and no decision-making to speak of.
I know less about Temple Guardians, but I theorize that you might want to do that after you have become somewhat accustomed to Burning Man.

Regardless, jumping in with both feet is certainly good. Just don't take on too many commitments your first year, since you will need lots of time to simply "learn your way around" and absorb the ethos of the Event.

Do you have any specific skill or interest that you would like to contribute with?

Have you subscribed to Jackrabbit Speaks?

Would you like to use that photo as your avatar? I will be happy to re-size it for you, if you do not have a suitable program yourself.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:16 am

KellieDoll, Welcome to ePlaya. Funny, I read it KenDoll the first few times. You can get most of the info you need to prepare by reading. Read all the newbie literature on the BM site. It's great that you're making lists. This vacation in the desert can be a simple or as complicated as you make it.

It's great to volunteer the first year but only 2 or 3 shifts. You'll need every minute to sleep, eat, dress, play, dance, talk, etc....Time flies out there. Before you know it the week is gone. (But you've already made a long list for next year.)

Use Google to search eplaya. 'eplaya carport' or 'eplaya food'. This community board has been around for a long time. It's full of great suggestions and answers. Or you can ask us. We love to help. Welcome.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

Return to “The Greeter's Station”