Ready to come home. Finally.

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
NikonKing
Burning Since: 2018

Ready to come home. Finally.

Post by NikonKing » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:25 am

So let's hit the elephant in the room straight off.

I'm not your typical virgin burner. I'm a middle-aged, Midwestern corporate executive running an organization of hundreds with immense responsibilities to a corporate board, stockholders and an incredibly demanding customer base. I have been doing what I do for more than 25 years, and am seen as a rock of stability to my family, friends, and co-workers. Last person you'd expect on the playa as a virgin? How many burners feel comfortable in a suit/tie and a board room? Perhaps more than we realize. Regardless, I desire to finally be part of a community enhanced by the ethos and culture of Burning Man, the lessons of which I plan to leverage in my corporate responsibilities -- and my legacy as a husband, father, and citizen of the world. It's a big task.

Like many, my only connection to Burning Man has been YouTube and a personal connection on Facebook whom I've never met in the real world. He opined to his followers how Burning Man can't sufficiently be explained. It has to be "experienced." That's something I can relate to since the most profound moments of my life were through a hard (typically unplanned) experience. After a fair bit of online exploration, I decided Burning Man was something from which I would benefit on so many different levels, and something to which I'm sure I could contribute. But first thing's first. I needed the support of my wife. It's not a common "ask" at this point in our lives, I'm sure you'd agree.

Well. I'm happy to report that after a dinner with the wife discussing the many things we wanted to accomplish in 2018 (and beyond), I shared with her the "why" behind my desire to be a part of the Burning Man community. While she didn't have a desire to attend herself, she supported my attending the 2018 event. Now it's a question of logistics. I need to connect with those who would benefit from my participation in their camp/community, and create the plan for my actually attending.

I'm relatively smart. Occasionally funny. Decent with my hands. I'm creatively inclined and have some pretty strong experience with speaking, writing, and even photography, and would look forward to talking to you about contributing to your project, camp, or community! Whether I have to solo it in 2018, or be a part of something bigger, I'm excited to make my first burn a reality.

I look forward to meeting you!

-NikonKing

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Re: Ready to come home. Finally.

Post by Dr. Pyro » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:15 pm

Welcome aboard! I am a principal of the New York Stock Exchange (Series 3/9/10/63ad nauseam) and I can assure you, there are many corporate types at TTITD. But once I'm there I leave the bulls and the bears well behind me and immerse myself in the community we call Burning Man. There are millionaires--hell, let's include Sergey Brin and Mark Zuckerberg and we're talking billionaires--and the downtrodden. But we're in this environment together. At Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro one of our guiding principles is "We don't care about your politics, sexual orientation, or idiosyncrasies." Because we're on vacation too and I don't give damn one about your bleeding-heart liberal bullshit or your over-the-top fend for yourself conservative bullshit. Leave it in D Lot. So like I said, welcome aboard. We do run the gamut of the political spectrum here, and for what it's worth, I'm usually right.

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:11 pm

Terrific introduction NikonKing. I'm glad you're beginning to reach out beyond the youtube videos. While most of them contain a lot of sparkle and glitz and are fun to watch, the majority of them don't dive into the core of the event. You seem to already understand this, and recognize that Burning Man is so much more than just a music festival.
NikonKing wrote:
Perhaps more than we realize.
As time permits, take a few moments out of your schedule, jump in and continue to peruse the various threads here on eplaya. They are a fountain of information, insight, and sometimes just good ol' fun. You'll soon recognize that, like you, quite a few people who are mainstays here are also middle-aged, or perhaps even headed toward the backside of middle-age. That is one of the beautiful things about Black Rock City, it is populated by a widespread demographic, and age quickly becomes irrelevant. It is the most non-judgemental place I have ever been, and I relish that. You could likely find yourself, a corporate executive, comfortably having a great conversation with, say, a 20 year old longhaired sculptor who works in a little art studio 2000 miles away, discussing why it is that people feel compelled to make art. Or who knows, perhaps you'll run across some unassuming gentleman who invented an evaporative cooler out of a 5 gallon bucket. You just never know, and it is wide open like that.

Burning Man is a different experience for each person who attends, and can work out fine whether you join a camp or decide instead to depend solely upon yourself and go solo. One thing I can say to near certainty though, it will not be like anything you have ever experienced before. Now is a great time to begin thinking and planning in earnest for this year's event.

Welcome to eplaya!

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:31 pm

Hola and hello...

Yeah doc is always right except for when he’s not
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:18 pm

I can pretty much guarantee you will learn one thing...

... how to crap in a Porto-John right after they clean it and NOT get splashed by the blue stuff.

The rest is up to you.

Welcome to the chaos.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:17 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:44 pm

Welcome.

Sometimes we have useful things to say.

Our common advice is meet your regional in person, read all the instructions, make a packing list, costumes, don't over-commit in the first year and leave some time after you return to processes - I take a few days before returning to work.

Not everyone does it, but most of us would say disconnect from work and the Internet. Fine to call or text family! But running a business remotely is a distraction which lessens the experience.

Burning Man can be a great psychic challenge and reset, like rough travel in developing countries, where you would also be disconnected. I'm guessing the psychic reset will be the greatest value to you.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:59 pm

You’re nowhere near as atypical as you think.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:42 am

Welcome Aboard. Hop on in!

Sham

Post by Sham » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:44 am

The first thing I would highly suggest is to plan on leaving your default world accomplishments at home. You should not be talking about work or successes while on the playa. While there, you will be an indigent, dusty waif. With nothing to buy on the playa, there is no need for money in your pockets. Any expensive clothing will only get shredded from the harsh environment--so pick up some comfortable clothes at your local thrift store.
You will be meeting some incredible artists and sculptors, see some eye-popping mechanical creations and the people who made them. You'll be in a massive, breath taking landscape and at some point you will have a wave of immortality wash over you while standing in a massive white-out---covered from head to toe in playa dust. Sun rises, sunsets are not to be believed. Bring that Nikon camera and lots of Kodachrome™ film with you. 8)
Halfway through the week, you may actually forget the address of where you work or what position you hold and how much money you have. None of that really matters anyway.
Your big take-a-way will most likely be the true, lifelong friendships you make at Burning Man. It seems like these may or may not be "your people", but it will be awakening and humbling when you find true friends there. (I got together with Doc Pyro off playa when he was in Boston) :shock:
Join your local regional group and meet some people there--face to face. You most likely will find people to camp with.
Below in my signature are some useful links that you should click on and read.

Good luck with your planning and we'll see you in the dust.
Sham....

korierika4
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Temple of the flying spaghetti monster

Post by korierika4 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:02 am

Welcome Home!
The answer may not be at Burning Man, but shouldn't we at least check :?:

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:28 pm

Sham wrote:The first thing I would highly suggest is to plan on leaving your default world accomplishments at home. You should not be talking about work or successes while on the playa. While there, you will be an indigent, dusty waif. With nothing to buy on the playa, there is no need for money in your pockets. Any expensive clothing will only get shredded from the harsh environment--so pick up some comfortable clothes at your local thrift store.
You will be meeting some incredible artists and sculptors, see some eye-popping mechanical creations and the people who made them. You'll be in a massive, breath taking landscape and at some point you will have a wave of immortality wash over you while standing in a massive white-out---covered from head to toe in playa dust. Sun rises, sunsets are not to be believed. Bring that Nikon camera and lots of Kodachrome™ film with you. 8)
Halfway through the week, you may actually forget the address of where you work or what position you hold and how much money you have. None of that really matters anyway.
Your big take-a-way will most likely be the true, lifelong friendships you make at Burning Man. It seems like these may or may not be "your people", but it will be awakening and humbling when you find true friends there. (I got together with Doc Pyro off playa when he was in Boston) :shock:
Join your local regional group and meet some people there--face to face. You most likely will find people to camp with.
Below in my signature are some useful links that you should click on and read.

Good luck with your planning and we'll see you in the dust.
Sham....
Can I get a wave of immorality to wash over me please...it’s funner
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Return to “The Greeter's Station”