New from Ohio

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Osbornl1
Burning Since: 2018

New from Ohio

Post by Osbornl1 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:44 pm

So I’ve known about burning man for years and within the last five years I’ve had some eye opening life experiences and look at the world much differently now and really feel like this would be an amazing experience for me at this point in my life. I’m still researching everything and just signed on and started reading posts. I’d like to figure out how to hook up with a camp so I’m not a lone wolf. But am also curious about driving out vs flying and didn’t know how many people on here do that and obviously are friends/carpool.

I’m huge into camping and outdoors so I have all the stuff for the week. I am an old soul who is 35 and I’m a free hugs contemplate why and a shoulder to cry on kinda guy. I’m also not too good at writing crap like this so if anyone has questions please ask.

cryoguy
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: BRC Realty (tour of homes)

Re: New from Ohio

Post by cryoguy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:19 pm

If you have all your camping gear it seems like you would want drive from Ohio not fly, unless of course you pay a ton of money to ship the gear to Reno and rent a car?

Anyway, from my experience, 2017 was me and my wife’s first year, we easily made friends with our camping neighbors and had a good time, with good conversation and partying with them. Have stayed in touch with a few of them and may end seeing them again in 2018. In other words you will be fine if you go by yourself, just bring some good booze to share.

Good Luck with your planning

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:57 pm

Hello Osborn and welcome.
Let us know more about you and maybe we can suggest something. What do you like to do? What are your likes and dislikes, what do you want to learn? Especially what can you do for a camp. Camps do things, they are not just a place to hang your hat or eat and store your water.

You say you are huge into camping, but have you ever camped in a dust bowl? :roll:
You will find BM very different. "Well I forgot my hammer, I'll just pick up a rock and...no rocks" "Tent pole broke, maybe I can find a stick...No sticks" of course your neighbor will be willing to help you out. :D
I wonder if you can grasp the need for a shade shelter as well as a tent?

There is lots of info on Eplaya, everything from food to SO's to costumes, along with water and dry ice. Read, google eplaya: your question and come back with questions.
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:00 am

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Osbornl1
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Osbornl1 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:50 am

Well I’m good at constructing things and building things. I tend to be a fixer and find myself jumping in to help setup or repair things. I am planning on driving and will be bringing all my cordless tools and hand tools I use on a daily basis at my job. I have a pickup so I have plenty of room. As far as my likes and dislikes I don’t have many dislikes. I tend to go with the flow and am a very open minded person. My main dislikes are roller coasters and water (I can’t swim). Hopefully that sheds some light on what I mean when I say I don’t have many dislikes. As far as what I enjoy doing I am an avid outdoorsman and enjoy working with my hands. I also love strange and unusual art and have a huge fascination with anything from the prohibition era.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:58 am

Welcome Aboard.

Sounds like you've got the passion for doing it right. Does your pickup have a shell/topper? The dust is not to be underestimated, do not bring any tools which you need for real life, as the dust has the potential for fucking things up forever. Sadly, there is also theft, so be sure you can secure your camp when you are out and about.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”