I'm basically a knowledge lamprey

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
tatertits
Burning Since: 2018

I'm basically a knowledge lamprey

Post by tatertits » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:53 pm

Hello! I'm Acacia, a burner-hopeful for 2018 and in the spirit of participation I figured I should at least try to poke around the burner community and figure out how I can best add to Black Rock City. I've already looked into my regional group, read through the Burning Man website, and spent hours searching videos and images online, but I think this forum is going to be such a boon to me because other human beings and their unique experiences tend to harbor the most valuable lessons. So yea, thanks to everyone who's on here :) Can't wait to leech off your knowledge. In fact, feel free to bombard me with helpful tips. I've already done quite a bit of research, but there's always more to learn.

Also, I'm quite nervous about being able to purchase a ticket. How does the buying process work and how fast do they sell out typically? I realize there are different time periods when they go on sale; I'm just asking on average. I used to go to San Diego Comic Con, which is horrendous in concerns to trying to buy a ticket and was wondering if buying a ticket to Burning Man will be anything like that.

Thanks!

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: I'm basically a knowledge lamprey

Post by lucky420 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:45 pm

Buying a ticket in the main sale can be challenging. You need to set up a burner profile first (google it), then a super fast computer would be extremely helpful.

If you don’t get a ticket in the main sale be sure to enter the STEP ticket exchange. A lot of tickets come up for sale on the second hand market, just watch out for scammers and don’t pay the inflated ticket prices that you’re for sure going to see... Or if you can afford it $1200 tickets usually don’t sell out
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:22 pm

Welcome Aboard. Great username.

Tickets can be tricky, but the more people you know, IRL and online, the better your chances. Maximize your footprint, cast your nets wide, and plan as if you have a ticket in hand. Things happen.

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:40 pm

The main sale will be a lot like ComicCon tickets. They'll sell out very quickly.

If you don't score tix in the main sale, there are other ways to get them. Tickets will come available the closer we get to the event you just gotta watch for them.

Just like ComicCon, there will be scalpers and scammers out there trying to get your money so watch out for them.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:01 am

The direct answer to how fast they sell out isn’t just “quickly”, it’s literally as fast as the servers can process the ticket orders.
It’s not something you have to get done pretty quick, it’s something you have to be on the very instant they go on sale.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Leo
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Go the F**k to Sleep

Post by Leo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:00 am

During the summer, Burning Man tickets and vehicle passes come up for sale on Craigslist. Usually 2 to 3 weeks before the event, you start to see more tickets and vehicle passes for sale. There are the obvious scalpers and scammers, but there also appear to be honest folks selling their tickets and vehicle passes (at face value) due to a recent change of plans (changed jobs, illness, etc.).

If you are serious about going and you aren't able to obtain a ticket from the main sale, plug into your local burner community and let them know you are looking for a ticket. Block out the time, get organized, and pack for Burning Man, even if you don't have a ticket. If you keep your eyes open, it is likely that a ticket and vehicle pass may come up for sale just days before the event.
Good luck and hope you make it on the playa.
Best Regards,
Leo

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:25 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:The direct answer to how fast they sell out isn’t just “quickly”, it’s literally as fast as the servers can process the ticket orders.
It’s not something you have to get done pretty quick, it’s something you have to be on the very instant they go on sale.
and whatever you do, don't try to sneak in! those Perimeter folks are like eagles! And at Gate, they are like Honey Badgers!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:35 am

Haha that’s funny... seriously, don’t worry about those “Perimeter” people. They’re just volunteer Rangers who get exiled to outside the event because they weren’t any good at actual Rangering. They’re mostly tech-job geeks with a laminated badge and a golf cart.
All you have to do is hop the fence. Their golf carts can’t get through and once you’re in the city there’s no way to identify you, there’s no BRC wristband (except for Early Entry).
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:55 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Haha that’s funny... seriously, don’t worry about those “Perimeter” people. They’re just volunteer Rangers who get exiled to outside the event because they weren’t any good at actual Rangering. They’re mostly tech-job geeks with a laminated badge and a golf cart.
All you have to do is hop the fence. Their golf carts can’t get through and once you’re in the city there’s no way to identify you, there’s no BRC wristband (except for Early Entry).
taking notes****
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:33 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Haha that’s funny... seriously, don’t worry about those “Perimeter” people. They’re just volunteer Rangers who get exiled to outside the event because they weren’t any good at actual Rangering. They’re mostly tech-job geeks with a laminated badge and a golf cart.
Hahahahahahaha yasssss
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:54 pm

barney-fife.jpg
lucky420 wrote:
Hahahahahahaha yasssss
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:53 am

:twisted:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:33 am

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:33 pm

Hey, Acacia! You still here?
Your first post was actually very good.
Then things derailed into sneaking-in-jokes.
Tell us more!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:57 pm

Welcome, Tatertits! Great nickname. :D
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Return to “The Greeter's Station”