UK Birgins - LA or Seattle?!??!

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Numbers_Droid
Burning Since: 2018

UK Birgins - LA or Seattle?!??!

Post by Numbers_Droid » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:39 pm

Hey guys,

I recently stumbled upon Burning Man and now I am hooked! My GF and I managed to score tickets and we’re heading over from the UK. We’re pretty open to new experiences and are super looking forward to getting up to some mischief on the playa. We both push numbers around in the week, with weekends filled with DIY and getting out into the wider world :D

So I’ve researched and researched some more. We’re going to hire an RV and drive. Interested in peoples thoughts on starting from either LA or Seattle? There’s only a hundred or so mile in it, so wondered if people had any ideas?!?!?

Thanks

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: UK Birgins - LA or Seattle?!??!

Post by Elderberry » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:31 pm

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!

If you don't already have your RV, I suggest you do it now. They all book up pretty early--some a year in advance. That might be the way you determine which city you should fly into. If you can't find your RV rental in L.A. then try Seattle.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:31 am

Welcome Aboard!

Another place to look for an RV is Salt Lake City, Utah. We are a big outdoor state, so there's a lot of RV potential here, and it is only a (long) day's drive from here. We also have an international airport, although you will need to add a couple days for the drive. Even we hit a motel on the way back, usually in Winnemucca.

Numbers_Droid

Post by Numbers_Droid » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:53 pm

Thanks chaps,

I've contacted some of the good people on RVShare (recommended by JackRabbit) to see if I can sort out an RV from a real person!

gbus
Burning Since: 2015

Post by gbus » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:32 pm

Greetings from a fellow UKer

Have fun and maybe see you there

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:02 pm

Welcome Numbers_Droid, and good luck!

No matter what Google Maps tells you, driving from WA will take you 2 days divided into two 7-8 hour shifts unless you have multiple drivers who really know what they're doing handling an RV through windy mountain roads. (You can't go anywhere near 60mph; it's dangerous, and hard on large vehicles in particular).

It's a few hours shorter distance from LA (physically) but the roads may be more crowded.

Really it's a matter of where you can find that RV!

I notice there are multiple routes from LA and which one you take might be best determined by what time of day you're leaving.
https://burningman.org/event/preparatio ... -and-back/
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Numbers_Droid

Post by Numbers_Droid » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:45 am

GBus Yeah, hope to catch you on the playa. Guessing you'll be the other person drinking tea, eating crumpets and wearing the union jack? :wink:

Savannah Thanks for the top tips and route guide. As luck manic persistence would have it, we got an RV in LA and are thinking of taking Cap’n Shady second option (traffic depending). Plus, we're even going to have some space to take other burners with us!

Right now to book some flights...

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:55 pm

Hi welcome to ePlaya. It's your first year, you can only be a virgin once.

I would strongly discourage a private RV share unless the owner has rented for the burn before. Even commercial RV shares can create big challenges over cleaning disputes.

One of the special things about the playa is the dust. Despite bring in a desert, it has no sand. It is in a dry mud lake bed that has duststorms of baby powder quality dust. It gets into the carpet, the fabrics, the cracks, the mechanicals and the storage areas.

I've cleaned a commercial rental with friends. It took about 20 person-hours and since we were at home we had all the cleaning equipment, which a visitor would not have.

If you are renting an RV from afar, you might want to prearrange a "detailing" service, a super clean with a provider with several years of post-burning man cleaning an RV.

As for Seattle, Salt Lake, LA Portland or Las Vegas, if you have time after the burn to travel and camp, each is attractive. If you are just 2, you could probably take one or two tent-camping riders along from any of those cities via personal connections or the ride share boards.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Numbers_Droid

Post by Numbers_Droid » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:22 pm

Thanks some seeing eye - this is some top advice! After yet more research I came to the same conclusion about renting a private RV. Even though we're big children in responsible adults bodies I was wary about hiring someones pride and joy!

We're planning on taking the long way home, maybe sometime to blow the playa dust out of the van, get it cleaned and hopefully hang out with some newly acquainted awesome people!

Right, now I'm really going to book flights...

Lady Coco
Camp Name: Black Rock Wine Cellar (hopefully!)

Post by Lady Coco » Tue May 01, 2018 3:05 pm

Hey there fellow crumpet munchers!
We’re also coming from the UK for our first year and have booked an RV in LA. The point made about planning and pre booking a deep clean for the RV on the way back is a great idea, something I must get onto....
See you out there!

Numbers_Droid

Post by Numbers_Droid » Wed May 02, 2018 12:05 pm

Hey Lady Coco - I do love me a bit of crumpet :wink:

How long you guys going for? Despite our best intensions we've yet to book our flights and the longer we leave the more ambitious our plans become!!! Following some tip top ideas from the good people on ePlaya, we're contemplating a post-burning man, pre-back-to-reality road trip :D

Less than 4 months until the man burns!!!

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed May 02, 2018 12:47 pm

Playa dust does not “blow out”... SOME of it does but it’s not like regular house dust.
You’re going to TRASH that RV, I hope the renter knows that.
I would never, ever rent any vehicle out to someone who was taking it to Burning Man.

I’m telling you this because you need to know that rigs really take a beating out there, and I can just hear you promising the owner you’ll take great are of it...

That playa doer gets absolutely everywhere and it’s not just dirty, it’s corrosive.
When you add water wash it away, it rusts things.

I hope that ow we knows what you intend to do to his RV.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Lady Coco
Camp Name: Black Rock Wine Cellar (hopefully!)

Post by Lady Coco » Wed May 02, 2018 1:30 pm

Numbers_Droid wrote:Hey Lady Coco - I do love me a bit of crumpet :wink:

How long you guys going for? Despite our best intensions we've yet to book our flights and the longer we leave the more ambitious our plans become!!! Following some tip top ideas from the good people on ePlaya, we're contemplating a post-burning man, pre-back-to-reality road trip :D

Less than 4 months until the man burns!!!
We’re making a trip around it so will be in the US for almost 4 weeks. We’ve also got to the “in for a penny in for a pound” attitude!! Once you’re there you may as well see and do as much as you can/want to. Beforehand the burn were spending a few days along the Pacific Coast road then back to LA. Afterwards we’re not set yet, maybe Joshua Tree for a bit, I was there a couple of years back with a friend and would love my other half to see it too. Very aware that we’ll probably not feel like anything too energetic the other side!!

Return to “The Greeter's Station”