Virgin burner from Australia

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
sophthp
Burning Since: 2018

Virgin burner from Australia

Post by sophthp » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:52 am

Hi All,

Have purchased my ticket for burning man this year and have done some reading but have so many questions and would like to take in different people's opinion.

I'm going by myself and looking to join a camp, how does that work?

Any advice for someone going on their own?

Any one else gone to BM on their own and would like to share their experience? Thanks

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Virgin burner from Australia

Post by AntiM » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:34 pm

Welcome Aboard!

Even if you plan on finding a camp, which you really don't need to do, please read up on the Survival Guide and the First Timers Guide. Most camps expect you to bring in things such as your own tent. Be very careful about camps with high dues, if something happens and they don't get placed or flake out, you're out the money and still need to figure it out. Or they require you to work daily shifts, which sucks. Be sure you know what the camp's purpose and vision is, and be certain that's something you want to so. Going solo frees you up to do just as you please.

You can look through the list of last year's camps, get in touch with ones which interest you. However, don't just send blanket emails. No one likes that. I have a tiny theme camp and get requests from people all the time, folks who obviously have zero idea what my camp is like, or that we are only five people!

Also, look through the Theme Camps forum, and see who is recruiting.

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:27 pm

sophthp wrote:Hi All,

Have purchased my ticket for burning man this year and have done some reading but have so many questions and would like to take in different people's opinion.
Read eplaya, google, there is so much information out there for the reading. After you have done your research come back with specific questions and we will be glad to help. Check out the bottom of this page, there are tons of Burners in Australia, I'm sure you can meet up with them. https://burningmanaustralia.com/

I'm going by myself and looking to join a camp, how does that work?
Look for theme camps from last year and those who advertise in the theme camp forum on eplaya. When you find some that interest you write them and say what it is about that camp you like and what YOU can do for them. This isn't your normal vacation where you pay for a hotel and they take care of you. You need to provide for yourself and help others.

Any advice for someone going camping on their own? I did it and enjoyed myself. Need to plan all the details.https://www.google.com/search?ei=QsTWWv ... CMHNMfFysw

Any one else gone to BM on their own and would like to share their experience? Thanks
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:21 pm

Welcome, sophthp! :D

How to Join a Theme Camp
viewtopic.php?t=72740

How NOT to Join a Theme Camp
viewtopic.php?t=74533

Theme Camp and Villages 2018 forum
viewforum.php?f=523

. . . I found all of those by Googling keywords and adding the word ePlaya.

Last year's camps . . . search by keyword or browse. When you see one that looks like a match, Google them or look them up on FB, and see if they're returning0.
https://burningman.org/culture/history/ ... eme-camps/

Finally . . . camps are not necessary to survival, and have both advantages and disadvantages. Camping with a few friends or acquaintances and preparing to fend for yourself can often be more rewarding than ending up with a poor fit, or bad management. Some of my best Burns were with 1-2 travel mates.

Also, meet some Australian burners if you haven't. You might end up with travel companions!
http://regionals.burningman.org
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:12 am

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:04 am

Welcome aboard, Sophthp!
The others have already given you good advice. I might add... subscribe to Jack Rabbit Speaks -- the official BM e-newsletter.

And from my camp's perspective (as an example)... you might want to tell us more about your talents and skills, and what you might want to learn and so on.
Many camps are Theme Camps (officially), which means we do one or more specific things. So we think in terms of a potential camp-members fit with our theme(s). In our case (as an example, again), if you can and like to repair bicycles, or decorate human "canvasses" with paint... "maybe we should talk".

Of course, most camps -- whether official Theme Camps or not -- have a theme of some type. So keep an eye out for whatever it is groups of Burners do as their interactive participation in the BRC community.

Zubeneschamali
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Goldies

Post by Zubeneschamali » Thu May 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Why going alone and what's your motivation for joining a camp?

Are you looking for a social/community building experience? Or just want all the logistics figured out for you so a camp that provides meals and showers, RV's and segways?

There's all flavors of the rainbow out there, no way to do it right for everybody.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”