Allow myself to introduce. . .

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
FizzGig
Burning Since: 2018

Allow myself to introduce. . .

Post by FizzGig » Mon May 07, 2018 1:48 pm

Hi guys

Stars in my eyes, I canna wait!, birgin here. I live as far as one can get to the other side of the country from BRC but I will be there this year volunteering (and hopefully camping) with ESD. I have probably 480 questions at this point but mostly I'm excited. Well excited AND scared. But wanted to introduce myself.

And now that I have, may I pump y'all for guidance? At this point I'm planning on flying into san fran, picking up my shipped bike (furred-n-lighted) and other stuff then renting a cargo van to camp with along with a small tent and tarp etc. I want to be 100% honest with whoever I rent the van from about it's destination and also want to do the best I can to keep things clean (I hear the blue painters tape is a plus, also considering covering interior seats with garbage bags). Anyway if you have any tips on van rental or car preservation or camp set up or FOMO prevention or etiquette or whatever I would love to hear it. I'm inhaling all things BRC i can find on eplaya and throughout the interweb but still feeling minimally prepared.

Thanks in advance. Can't wait to meet all you dusty bastards!

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Allow myself to introduce. . .

Post by Elderberry » Mon May 07, 2018 8:39 pm

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!

We rent a truck every year and every year we have lied about where it would be going. (Well, every year after the first year when they called to cancel the reservation a week before the event.) After the burn, we would go to a truck wash and have them wash the truck and engine and there was never a trace of playa dust when we returned it. With a van, I'd take it to a carwash and have it detailed. Whatever the cost it would be less than the rental agency would charge you if they knew where you were taking it. Not to mention that many of the rental agencies will not rent to people going to BM, so you risk not even having a van at all.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue May 08, 2018 6:53 am

Hola and hello...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue May 08, 2018 9:02 am

Thanks for putting that song in my head. (Please allow me to introduce myself....) Welcome to ePlaya. You better step on it if you plan to find a rental.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Thu May 10, 2018 12:42 pm

FizzGig wrote:Hi guys

Stars in my eyes, I canna wait!, birgin here. I live as far as one can get to the other side of the country from BRC but I will be there this year volunteering (and hopefully camping) with ESD. I have probably 480 questions at this point but mostly I'm excited. Well excited AND scared. But wanted to introduce myself.

And now that I have, may I pump y'all for guidance? At this point I'm planning on flying into san fran, picking up my shipped bike (furred-n-lighted) and other stuff then renting a cargo van to camp with along with a small tent and tarp etc. I want to be 100% honest with whoever I rent the van from about it's destination and also want to do the best I can to keep things clean (I hear the blue painters tape is a plus, also considering covering interior seats with garbage bags). Anyway if you have any tips on van rental or car preservation or camp set up or FOMO prevention or etiquette or whatever I would love to hear it. I'm inhaling all things BRC i can find on eplaya and throughout the interweb but still feeling minimally prepared.

Thanks in advance. Can't wait to meet all you dusty bastards!
Allow myself to introduce . . . yourself? ;) I hope that's an Austin Powers reference, 'cause it sounds like one. :D

I would suggest not actively informing the place you rent your cargo van where you're taking it. "Gonna sightsee and do some mountain biking and visit friends" is adequate if asked, but don't volunteer it either.

I'm not sure what the demand for cargo vans in SF will be that week, so you might want to either be flexible on the vehicle you get, and/or make the reservation now (if cancel-able).

Cargo vans are excellent. Their window and door seals are good, so I've never used painters tape (good for RVs) or garbage bags on them, but I have tossed a bedsheet over a seat to protect it from me on the way out of the event. A garbage bag would probably be okay, too--and you will need garbage bags anyway!--but it would be unpleasant to sit on during exodus.

In the end, the best solution to van cleanliness is to open the doors as little as possible during the event, and then post-event, take the van to a car wash and wash the heck out of it, vaccuum the upholstery and wipe down the dash and other interior bits with a jug of vinegar (you should have that on the playa anyway) and a roll of paper towels or a few shammies.

One year my campmate literally took a hose to the back of the cargo van while its rear was aimed downhill; she said this worked well.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Return to “The Greeter's Station”