First BRC Burn ( have only done local burns) ... Hi from New Orleans!!

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
HotPantsonFire
Burning Since: 2018

First BRC Burn ( have only done local burns) ... Hi from New Orleans!!

Post by HotPantsonFire » Mon May 21, 2018 4:54 pm

So the gods where kind to me and I was approved for my ticket!! I can't believe it!!

There were always reason that I put off doing the Big Burn for so long, but I finally said, " You Know What? You deserve to be there! Stop procrastinating and put a plan into action!"

So now I got approved for my L.I. Ticket and my head is spinning about how do I go about planning for the epic experience?? So many thing like how do I get there (find a ride or drive myself?) Would it be better to join a camp if you are a first timer? How can I find out wether the camp will be suitiable for me, can I join a camp if the camp crew is out of state?

I can't wait to plan out the costumes and the masks and the gifts I will give to people (I will be making a bunch of masks to give).

That's all. Woohooo!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Re: First BRC Burn ( have only done local burns) ... Hi from New Orleans!!

Post by Savannah » Mon May 21, 2018 5:02 pm

Welcome! :D

I think it would be incredibly handy to meet other area Burners. You might find a good rideshare:
https://regionals.burningman.org/region ... w-orleans/

You might also join the Florida lists; maybe someone driving from Florida would like someone to split gas with.
https://regionals.burningman.org/

Different camps have different rules; some are locals-only, others might have members from all over the world. There's not just one way to do things. I was not part of a theme camp my first year, but I was with 19 other people camping together socially--I knew only one of them. Experience is just as handy (sometimes handier) than a theme camp. That said, if you Google 2017 theme camps you'll find a list on the main site, and it will have urls, descriptions, email addresses, etc, and you can reach out to ones that look sympatico and ask them if they're burning this time.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Tue May 22, 2018 6:22 am

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue May 22, 2018 7:13 am

Welcome Aboard.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:26 pm

Hey, HotPants!

A couple suggestions, if I may.

You seem to have understood that "gifting" is a fundamental concept in Black Rock City. Excellent start!
Now, let me offer a couple typical examples of Burning Man gifts:

You are minding your own business, when you see some stranger struggling to set up a tent in the wind. You run over and grab the flapping side of the tent, and continue assisting until the silly thing is upright and secure.
At this point, the two of you would probably introduce yourselves, laugh heartily, and pop a couple ice cold cans.
But the main point is, that helping with the tent was a wonderful gift!

You are pretty good at singing, so you stroll around BRC serenading people. Or simply stand or sit at the edge of a street, perhaps at your own camp, serenading passers-by.
A great gift, I would certainly call it!

No physical item, such a hand-made mask, required.

Not that a beautiful mask would not be admired by one and all.
But it is something you must carry with you to the Event, and the recipient must carry with them home -- each time taking up already tight luggage space. And it could easily be damaged on the trip.

And if you give them a mask away from their own camp, it could easily be lost or damaged before the recipient even returned to her camp -- life in BRC being as gloriously random as it is.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”