New Burner

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
swoopnhuck
Burning Since: 2019

New Burner

Post by swoopnhuck » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:14 pm

Don't tell any of my rather square work colleagues (as most of them live rather boring safe lives), but I find myself seriously considering making an attempt to try and secure a ticket or two to the 2019 or 2020 Burning Man event. I first heard about Burning Man at least 15 years ago when I was very active in the skydiving community (I have made over 1600 jumps which sounds like a lot but it is not that many compared to the folks who work full time in the industry), and while totally different activities, I am sure there are some similarities between the two. Anyway Burning Man fell off of my radar for a number of years since I first heard about it. However this year it came back on the radar. Not soon enough to secure tickets to the 2018 event, but nevertheless I have been watching lots of YouTube videos of the event lately as well as tutorial videos from Project Pterodactyl as well as Hug Nation.

Thanks to the tutorials, I feel I am up to speed on how to obtain tickets, but what is unknown is what are the odds of even being able to secure tickets? I am not rich, but I am also not poor. I would prefer to secure "Main Sale" tickets because they are the cheapest (and of course they are not cheap), but if I am not mistaken those are the hardest tickets to get. Do more people fail in their attempts of getting "Main Sale" tickets? Then of course there is "Pre-Sale" which has less people going for them because of the price. But even with "Pre-Sale" there no guarantee that you can even secure "Pre-Sale" tickets right? I do believe you only register for one type of ticket at a time? So if I wanted to increase the odds of getting a ticket, I should go for "Pre-Sale" first. If I fail there, put my name into the big pot for "Main Sale" and if that falls through try and get into "STEP" ASAP. If none of these succeed, I guess the Burner God just does not want me to attend in that year and would need to try again a following year. How many people have tried for tickets year after year and never succeed? Oh and yes I have already registered a burner profile on the main "burningman.org" site.

A little about me, I am not young nor am I old (though I physically am closer to old as I am a middle aged male). But mentally I swear I am still young, really I am, honest, LOL and it's the fantastic art and funky cars that makes me want to attend Burning Man the most, though I am also very curious about the vibe from all the Burners. Finally I live in Western Canada, so if I do secure access to the event I will be driving down and camping. I am sure the dust is nasty, but I am not a high maintenance clean freak, so I think I can handle it. I'm a past veteran of Skydive Arizona's Eloy Christmas Boogie on more than one occasion so I know why being in the desert is like. Well sort of.

Wish me luck if I do make an attempt at securing a ticket or two in the new year.
You only live once. Go fast, take chances, don't wear a helmet. :D

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: New Burner

Post by lucky420 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:33 pm

Hola and hello...

Yes if you can afford it, presale ticket. Those are usually around for a bit as the main sale tix sell out in minutes. Just don’t be douchey and score a presale, then score a main sale ticket and sell the presale one. If you can afford the 990, go for it. You will also have scored peace of mind...and can spend the rest of the year planning.

Stick around and get to know us here. We’re salty but nice :coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

swoopnhuck
Burning Since: 2019

Post by swoopnhuck » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:22 pm

Thanks for the reply.

No I wouldn't try and score "Main Sale" tickets after obtaining "Pre-Sales" ones (if I was so lucky to even get "Pre-Sales"). Plus the girl behind the YouTube channel "Project Pterodactyl" has warned against doing such things that could come back to bite me. I would hate to travel all the way to the Black Rock City entry gates (waiting hours and hours in line) only to be turned back because of some sort of red flag nefarious ticket issue.

Can I afford "Pre-Sales" ... they are double the price of "Main Sale" ones and one never wants to pay more than they need to. But as I said I am not rich, but I am also not poor and it sounds like "Main Sale" is a real roll of the dice where the odds are stacked against you. I guess I have a few months to decide how much I really want to lose my burner virginity. The art looks outstanding. I would hate to arrive at the purgatory gates only ever seeing pictures and videos of Burning Man instead of actually experiencing it in person. I may need to get current again with my Skydiving as doing some jumps over the site would offer some great visuals few burners get to see. But the folks who run the Burner Skydiving DZ recommend not jumping on your maiden Burning Man trip, plus the dust is supposed to be pretty nasty to your jumping gear. Maybe a ride along would sufficeÉ If I secure a ticket I will try and contact them.
You only live once. Go fast, take chances, don't wear a helmet. :D

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:34 pm

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:31 am

Welcome Aboard.

You've got a good start on gathering information. I too suggest a pre-sake as a way of getting a secured ticket, and yes, don't be that guy who buys one as insurance then tries in the Main Sale. It is allowed, but just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I think it is not all that difficult to get a ride along on a jump flight. You can also try for a sightseeing flight out at the airport. I went on one, and it was an amazing gift. I think waiting for the second year to jump is good advice as you'll have a better grasp of what you are seeing and experiencing. Second year is also when you have begin making true contacts, become a known person when it comes to camps and ticketing and even pooling resources. For me, people who want more than a one and done experience bring much more to the event than a mere consumer.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”