has burning man *actually* gotten worse?

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Post Reply
User avatar
MayNotBeReal
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:04 am
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: N/A

things i want to bring

Post by MayNotBeReal » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:13 am

I'm going to burning man. I want to bring:
Molotov cocktails.
A flamethrower (70/30 petrol to napalm ratio, if it matters)
fireworks. really big ones. the sort of fireworks you have to avoid the police because they'll probably confiscate 'em.
A quadbike.

should I? I just want to set things on fire.

User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
Posts: 19993
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:23 am
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art
Location: Wild, Wild West
Contact:

Re: things i want to bring

Post by AntiM » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:41 am

Welcome Aboard.

Try again.

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14519
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Re: things i want to bring

Post by Elderberry » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:34 am

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!

Good luck with that.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

User avatar
Ratty
Posts: 5846
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:43 pm
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: things i want to bring

Post by Ratty » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:14 am

Hi, I was wondering when/if we would hear from you again. Good morning.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

User avatar
Token
Posts: 4184
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:55 pm
Burning Since: 2001
Location: Gold Country, CA

Re: things i want to bring

Post by Token » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:54 pm

I see absolutely no problem with any of that ... on 4th of July.

Please add thermite and magnesium blocks to burn.

Oxyacetylene inflated beach furniture and balls please + tracer rounds from an AR.

Another way to blaze Oxy - Grilled Cheeze Rocket Motor Sandwich cars - fucking outrageous fun!!!

User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
Posts: 12510
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2018

Re: things i want to bring

Post by Savannah » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:11 pm

Welcome!

Flame effects info:
https://burningman.org/event/art-perfor ... e-effects/

No quad ATVs are allowed, except for law enforcement, but mutant vehicles/scooters/bikes and transports are allowed; some require special vetting. Write the DMV if anything is unclear:

https://burningman.org/event/art-perfor ... protocols/
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

User avatar
MayNotBeReal
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:04 am
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: N/A

Re: things i want to bring

Post by MayNotBeReal » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:05 pm

actually good advice. thanks man

User avatar
MayNotBeReal
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:04 am
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: N/A

Re: things i want to bring

Post by MayNotBeReal » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:07 pm

Token wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:54 pm
I see absolutely no problem with any of that ... on 4th of July.

Please add thermite and magnesium blocks to burn.

Oxyacetylene inflated beach furniture and balls please + tracer rounds from an AR.

Another way to blaze Oxy - Grilled Cheeze Rocket Motor Sandwich cars - fucking outrageous fun!!!
thermite. This guys gets it

User avatar
MayNotBeReal
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:04 am
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: N/A

has burning man *actually* gotten worse?

Post by MayNotBeReal » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:19 pm

I'm planning on going to burning man.
obviously, or I wouldn't be here.
I've heard many verterans complain about how terrible buring is, and how in their day it was the closest thing you get to nirvana while still on earth, etc, etc.
but is it "bad"?
sure, compared to the nineties and early 2000's, its probably a little stale, but, when viewed without context (IE not comparing burning man 2018 to burning man 2000) is it actually bad?
I live in NEW ZEALAND, for christs sakes. i plan on going to the US months in advance, and I dont want to go to a burning man thats all burned out. an "ash man" if you like.
that being said, i also plan to take a Flamethrower, several cases of molotovs, and some nice, uber heat resistant gloves to soak with petrol and ignite, so even if burning man is all washed up, i'll still be able to scrounge up some fun.

User avatar
Captain Goddammit
Posts: 8244
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:34 am
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: has burning man *actually* gotten worse?

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:21 pm

I’m pretty sure you’re being satirical and that’s good, but I can’t help mention, you do know you can’t do most of the shit your posts have mentioned, right? And I mean literally can’t, as in you’ll be physically removed and/or arrested.
You missed those days, that was the ‘90s!!! You USED to be able to do whatever you wanted.
So, it seems the answer for you is yes it does suck now.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Ano
Posts: 503
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:04 pm
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Re: has burning man *actually* gotten worse?

Post by Ano » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:35 pm

It's different.

I still enjoy the event. I started coming in 2011. I feel like the event has changed, and I feel like there is a growing population of people who willfully choose to not get the event. It's frustrating to be around these people, and it's frustrating to watch camps grow that support these people.

I can't speak to the chaotic 90's or the crazy early 2000's. I've heard some nutty shit. A really weird person I once met told me a story of driving his car around in 1995 high on acid at breakneck speeds through the Black Rock Desert. It's definitely not like that anymore.

But there just is nothing on earth like being on playa with all of my friends and family, doing stupid shit, having a good time. There's still a lot of room for fun out there. There's still a lot of good people out there. There's still a lot of shenanigans to be had.

Don't be discouraged. Come on out.

User avatar
MayNotBeReal
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:04 am
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: N/A

Re: has burning man *actually* gotten worse?

Post by MayNotBeReal » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:46 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:21 pm
I’m pretty sure you’re being satirical and that’s good, but I can’t help mention, you do know you can’t do most of the shit your posts have mentioned, right? And I mean literally can’t, as in you’ll be physically removed and/or arrested.
You missed those days, that was the ‘90s!!! You USED to be able to do whatever you wanted.
So, it seems the answer for you is yes it does suck now.
I know exactly what you're thinking, my dude, however, the quad bike and fireworks are gone. according to the rules, explosives are banned, that means the fireworks are right out, in fact the rules explicitly state that fireworks are banned. however, molotovs aren't an explosive. here's a quote by the ATF:

"Explosive materials are any chemical compound, mixture, or device, the primary or common purpose of which is to function by explosion. The term includes, but is not limited to, dynamite and other high explosives, black powder, pellet powder, initiating explosives, detonators, safety fuses, squibs, detonating cord, igniter cord, and igniters."
https://www.atf.gov/explosives
Molotovs DO NOT "function by explosive" their "explosive" qualities are simply the petrol igniting at at once, and the spread of fire they produce is simply a natural function of any fluid, I.E, they spread to fill any container that fills them, and if there is no container, then the petrol simply flows until friction stops it.

also, and i may be wrong, but flamethrowers *are* allowed, but with strict guidelines. i've also seen, on various
2018 videos, art cars with flamethrowers, the rules may be different for art cars, however, i'm simply too uninformed to take a legitimate opinion on person wielded flamethrowers. and, if all else failed, i'll just mount the flamethrower to my car and register it as an art car.

The wild days of burning man aren't QUITE over yet, ladies and gentlemen.

User avatar
Token
Posts: 4184
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:55 pm
Burning Since: 2001
Location: Gold Country, CA

Re: has burning man *actually* gotten worse?

Post by Token » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:31 pm

There is a big difference between legit liquid fuel flame throwers and propane flame effects.

Old-school liquid flame throwers are a no-no. You gotta suck some serious ass to get a vertical kerosene canon approved.

A modified barbecue grill that just happens to dump a vulgar quantity of propane ... well that’s just a real big weed burner.

So yeah, if you really want to blow shit up, there are thousands of acres of BLM land where you can do that any time you like in this grand ol’e US of A.

I’d recommend doing it near a military gunnery range. No one gives a rats ass about big booms in the night near a gunnery range.

User avatar
Captain Goddammit
Posts: 8244
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:34 am
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: has burning man *actually* gotten worse?

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:53 pm

Actually just mounting a flamethrower on your car and registering it as an art car is a great idea. That’ll work, you should definitely do that.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

User avatar
Sham
Moderator
Posts: 8236
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:10 am
Location: The hidden mythical place.....

Re: has burning man *actually* gotten worse?

Post by Sham » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:06 pm

The flaming Outrimmer. My guess it will burst into a ball of charred wreckage. 8)

User avatar
MayNotBeReal
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:04 am
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: N/A

Re: has burning man *actually* gotten worse?

Post by MayNotBeReal » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:59 pm

Token wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:31 pm
There is a big difference between legit liquid fuel flame throwers and propane flame effects.

Old-school liquid flame throwers are a no-no. You gotta suck some serious ass to get a vertical kerosene canon approved.

A modified barbecue grill that just happens to dump a vulgar quantity of propane ... well that’s just a real big weed burner.

So yeah, if you really want to blow shit up, there are thousands of acres of BLM land where you can do that any time you like in this grand ol’e US of A.

I’d recommend doing it near a military gunnery range. No one gives a rats ass about big booms in the night near a gunnery range.
thanks for the actually *constructive* criticism!
I have another, less wild idea as well, and I think that this idea would combine the best of both worlds of crazy flame bullshittery without putting anyone in *much* danger. what I intend to do is to buy some high quality flame-retardant gloves, the kind that can take being held against a blowtorch no problem, and the putting them on, dousing them in petrol, and setting them alight. I think that would impressive as all hell without killing anyone.

User avatar
Token
Posts: 4184
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:55 pm
Burning Since: 2001
Location: Gold Country, CA

Re: has burning man *actually* gotten worse?

Post by Token » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:09 am

Body burns have been turnkey for a while in the stunt industry. Practically a commodity item these days.

Kevlar, Nomex, Kynol gloves, sleeves, etc.

Gel based thermal barriers and the likes.

Look up Amspec Inc in LA. The Stunt supply company.

We got some of their jerk-vests and harnesses when we did renegade fire spinning upside-down off the 7th street bridge in LA a long time back when BM had an element of danger to it.

The Kynol gloves were awesome? Could stick your hand into a propane stove burner for 2+ minutes before feeling any heat.

Key to a body burn is selecting a fuel that evaporates very fast and cools the wicking as it burns. Naphtha is my preferred medium. Big bright flame too.

Always have a trained fire safety on hand with a good CO2 extinguisher and a safe word.

User avatar
That is Nice
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:18 am
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: The Real World

Re: has burning man *actually* gotten worse?

Post by That is Nice » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:45 pm

"has burning man *actually* gotten worse?"

It totally has. A friend of mine who was at the burn this year said that right when they got to the point at which the camp was going to ritually sacrifice one of the virgins, they got stopped because of some "homicide" ordinance.

The LEOs are totally out of control, but don't worry. Things will get better. Hail Satan.

MayNotBeReal wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:13 am
I'm going to burning man. I want to bring:
Molotov cocktails.
A flamethrower (70/30 petrol to napalm ratio, if it matters)
fireworks. really big ones. the sort of fireworks you have to avoid the police because they'll probably confiscate 'em.
A quadbike.

should I? I just want to set things on fire.

As do we all. May I assume you'll be signing up for our "lottery"? We're going to try to make next year's burn a more spiritual experience, more like it used to be.


Image

User avatar
MayNotBeReal
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:04 am
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: N/A

Re: has burning man *actually* gotten worse?

Post by MayNotBeReal » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:09 pm

Token wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:09 am
Body burns have been turnkey for a while in the stunt industry. Practically a commodity item these days.

Kevlar, Nomex, Kynol gloves, sleeves, etc.

Gel based thermal barriers and the likes.

Look up Amspec Inc in LA. The Stunt supply company.

We got some of their jerk-vests and harnesses when we did renegade fire spinning upside-down off the 7th street bridge in LA a long time back when BM had an element of danger to it.

The Kynol gloves were awesome? Could stick your hand into a propane stove burner for 2+ minutes before feeling any heat.

Key to a body burn is selecting a fuel that evaporates very fast and cools the wicking as it burns. Naphtha is my preferred medium. Big bright flame too.

Always have a trained fire safety on hand with a good CO2 extinguisher and a safe word.
Thanks for all of this good advice! you seem extremely experience&knowledgeable, so i'm really glad for your input. I was thinking of just using petrol, but your naphtha suggestion seems far better. what I wanted to go for was a much more personal feel to my body burning, just my hands, so I could display it to a small group. I think that this would make a much more personal, "street magic" like feel. I want to just ignite my hands while walking down the street, no elaborate contraptions or wire-work. I plan on using these gloves:
https://schmitzmittz.com/collections/ul ... 4819322118
because I saw this video:

and they seemed legitimate. I just wanted to ignite my hands, as this would give anyone watching a feeling that they too could do it, because, well, they could. I rather dislike going to these elaborate performances, because it severs the link between the performer(s), and the audience, and burning man really isn't like that (from what i've heard) I'm also a bit strapped for funds, so the stunt technicians you mentioned would have to be very cheap. again, i'd like to thank you for your elaborate advice. thanks man.

User avatar
MayNotBeReal
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:04 am
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: N/A

Re: has burning man *actually* gotten worse?

Post by MayNotBeReal » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:16 pm

That is Nice wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:45 pm
"has burning man *actually* gotten worse?"

It totally has. A friend of mine who was at the burn this year said that right when they got to the point at which the camp was going to ritually sacrifice one of the virgins, they got stopped because of some "homicide" ordinance.

The LEOs are totally out of control, but don't worry. Things will get better. Hail Satan.

MayNotBeReal wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:13 am
I'm going to burning man. I want to bring:
Molotov cocktails.
A flamethrower (70/30 petrol to napalm ratio, if it matters)
fireworks. really big ones. the sort of fireworks you have to avoid the police because they'll probably confiscate 'em.
A quadbike.

should I? I just want to set things on fire.

As do we all. May I assume you'll be signing up for our "lottery"? We're going to try to make next year's burn a more spiritual experience, more like it used to be.


Image
you utter madman. I'm in utter support for you religious freedom. the "Man" shouldn't be able to stop you from sacrificing a virgin in reverence for you dark lord. next year you should drag one of the Rangers in, kicking and screaming, and show him the might of almighty Lucifer. but seriously though, get a realistic dummy and load it up with blood squibs. cut the head off, detonate the blood squibs, and you've got some high quality shock factor on your hands. PLEASE DO ALL OF THIS IN FRONT OF A RICH PERSONS CAMP COMPOUND. just spray the walls with fake blood, while chanting, moaning, etc. they'll come out and have no idea what you fucks are doing. hopefully they'll be so horrified they'll leave.

justinn007
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am
Burning Since: 1989
Contact:

Re: has burning man *actually* gotten worse?

Post by justinn007 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:03 am

The safest thing to do would be to wrap the food in foil packs and tape them to your body before attempting the borser crossing.

User avatar
Mslorilove
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:45 am
Burning Since: 2019
Location: Florida

Re: has burning man *actually* gotten worse?

Post by Mslorilove » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:54 am

Lottery you say... :|

Well, if it will get me there Im certainly willing to take one for the team and like to be the first to volunteer for the coveted spot of “sacrificial virgin”

As the prodigal virgin, I still have my hymen (cherry); of course it’s just a raisin somewhere around the back of my throat but that is a minor detail for certain.

That is Nice wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:45 pm
"has burning man *actually* gotten worse?"

It totally has. A friend of mine who was at the burn this year said that right when they got to the point at which the camp was going to ritually sacrifice one of the virgins, they got stopped because of some "homicide" ordinance.

The LEOs are totally out of control, but don't worry. Things will get better. Hail Satan.

As do we all. May I assume you'll be signing up for our "lottery"? We're going to try to make next year's burn a more spiritual experience, more like it used to be.


Image
I’m not fucking stupid, but I used to. :shock:
You have two ears and one mouth, STF up and listen. :roll:

Post Reply

Return to “The Greeter's Station”