Hello all you dusty burners.

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
TerryP
Burning Since: 2019

Hello all you dusty burners.

Post by TerryP » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:00 am

Hi to you all.

Another virgin here that has thought about going to burning man for many years but due to financial reasons and moving so much I just could not make it.
I have hit that point in my life that I need to go and I need to burn away so many things. Not in the literal sense but figuratively.
My wife actually did her college thesis on burning man when she was in art school in Denver. I spoke with her about it a couple weeks ago and I think I have talked her into it, but I told her if she did not want to go that maybe I could do it myself this year. I have done plenty of reading and know many people do go with/without the spouses.
So we will see what she wants to do when it gets closer to time.
Ok, so I have had so many plans and ideas on what id like to do at burning man as far as camps go and I think with being a first timer its best to join a camp.
But... my issues are finding a camp I can help with. I am a good mechanic and own my own repair shop and mostly work on small engine repairs. Like motorcycles, ATV's, UTV's ETC.
My wife is an amazing artist and just closed our paint and sip we had here so she could start tattooing. Have many boxes of canvas and art easels and brushes. So If we both go is it possible to both find camps to help?
I have been trying to find lists of camps to see if I can get into contact with people and what not.
If anyone can help that would be great. Ill be honest here I feel more ummm what's the word pulled in, sucked in, allured, to burning man. The core values of this event and the people and positivity is what I need in my life.
I also want this to be more a part of my day to day life.
Anywhooo thank you to anyone that reads this and can give me any sort of advise/direction.

cryoguy
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: BRC Realty (tour of homes)

Re: Hello all you dusty burners.

Post by cryoguy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:45 am

I suggest you don’t join a camp your first year, your first year is an introduction to BM, get the lay of the land, explore. Forget about list of camps and that stuff. Concentrate on preparing for camping with just you and your wife. Maybe bring some art that you might what to gift. Keep it simple for your first year.

Our first year was 2017, we did not join a camp. We camped way out at 3:15 and L, (L being the last street). Worked out great, interesting things to be had way out from city center. We had a very basic camp setup, tent, and a Monkey hut, no fancy stuff at all. We ended up volunteering for three shifts at Arctica (ice sales).

This year was completely different for us, we joined a small (placed) theme camp that “sold” playa real-estate, we also volunteered again for two shifts at Arctica.

TerryP

Post by TerryP » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:03 am

Thanks a bunch for replying to me.
I had thought about that as well, just getting in if we can and just getting a lay of the land.
One of my co-workers had the opposite experience as yourself.
He went with his gf and they wished they had a camp the first year and is now a part of a fire conclave.
Said that even with the people so loving and helpful he thought camps were a better way of going because you feel like your part of a family.
But I would love as much feedback from you all as I can get. I am more than content going at it our self's for sure.
Just have thought that if I am able to help and make peoples burn better then why not join where possible, but like you said you can always volunteer when we get there.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:02 am

Welcome Aboard.

A camp only feels like family if you click with them. Some camps just rake in the dues and make you work. This can be bad. I have a theme camp, which is now only four people, no dues because we're tiny. Some camps are hundreds of people, and charge outrageous amounts. I've been in dues camps, and while I knew and loved the people, I hated the monetary thing as I did not partake in what I paid for. YMMV. Hang out here, read the boards, join many discussions, look at the theme camp forums, see what's what. You may find your people, or maybe just people to camp with informally.

Small engines aren't common on the playa, as participants aren't allowed the use of motorcycles and ATVs. Electric bikes and trikes, yes. The occasional handicapped golf cart. Can you work on generators?

I paint, but never on the playa. Just doesn't happen, so I just stopped hauling my supplies out. I do run an art gallery and adpt out art to new homes. Been doing that for years!

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:16 am

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

TerryP

Post by TerryP » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:21 am

Well thank you Ma'am :D for the feedback.
Ok so as far as that goes with large camps and camp due fees, I do understand the dues since they are from what I have been reading is they just try to give as much as they can to burners/ Gift. And have also read that a lot do work people to death but in hindsight that may be what the people joining them camps like to do. To each their own. I wouldn't mind paying a camp due but nothing outrageous just to help out. I absolutely get the best feelings when I help someone out in every day life.
Yup that's why I figured Id break the ice and post this intro even tho its a bit of a ramble lol.
Id like to talk with as many people as possible and get connected with people.

As for small engines on the Playa, Yes I did read that they were not allowed but I have seen people with little Go-Peds crusing around and some of the small art cars have smaller motors on them. Don't get me wrong I do know my fare share of larger motors, just not certified or anything. Yes generators I have fixed my fare share of.

That's nifty. I bet my wife would love to do stuff like that. She really just didn't want to keep, ummm not to be rude but dumbing down paintings. She loved teaching people don't get me wrong, just was having a hard time not putting out beautiful art.
Last edited by TerryP on Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TerryP

Post by TerryP » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:22 am

Well thank you Elderberry.
Happy to be here

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:20 pm

I'm a ma'am.

TerryP

Post by TerryP » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:33 pm

Oh my I'm so sorry was typing so fast didn't even think about it, I edited it and truly do apologize.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:36 pm

No worries ...

Return to “The Greeter's Station”