Finally planning to do this | Virgin Burn 2019

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
wicker409
Burning Since: 2019

Finally planning to do this | Virgin Burn 2019

Post by wicker409 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:21 am

Well, I have been planning to go to the Burn for many years but never got around to it. Finally ready to be myself and burning man is where I want to be, I grew up building robots and have a bunch of ideas, too many for a virgin burner so my current plan is to have some hexayurts and gift out ice & decorative dust masks.

Suggestions welcome!

Also, have people had any success with an air compressor and using it for shop showers? (using compressed air to blow dust off of you to clean off)

Sham

Re: Finally planning to do this | Virgin Burn 2019

Post by Sham » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:14 pm

wicker409 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:21 am
Well, I have been planning to go to the Burn for many years but never got around to it. Finally ready to be myself and burning man is where I want to be, I grew up building robots and have a bunch of ideas, too many for a virgin burner so my current plan is to have some hexayurts and gift out ice & decorative dust masks.

Suggestions welcome!

Also, have people had any success with an air compressor and using it for shop showers? (using compressed air to blow dust off of you to clean off)
Welcome wicker.
You've come to the right place. Burning Man is quite a unique city. It's a bit dusty as you mentioned, but quickly you'll learn to embrace the dust. No real need for an air compressor unless it's for an "adult themed camp". 8)

If you've been building robots, then you'll appreciate everything about Black Rock City. The most creative minds in the world gather here to screw around in squalor and dust.

Read up on the links in my signature below and start getting acclimated and prepared for the adventure of your life.

See you in just 11 short months.

Sham....

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:48 pm

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

wicker409
Burning Since: 2019

Post by wicker409 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:14 am

Thank you both for such a warm welcome, I feel bad that it has taken me this long to finally pull the trigger, but couldn't be more excited to do all of this.

I did want to make sure that if I am gifting out bags of ice I don't need a license like I would if I was gifting food?

Regarding the Art Bikes, I have looked long and hard but have yet to see a definitive line drawn between an art car that needs registration and an art trike that doesn't. I think for my first burn I may just build 2 reg E-Bikes and then just tear the back wheel off one and put a rear double axle in. However, ultimately I would like to build a Trike with a massive battery and a slow, powerful motor that can put-put me around the playa with a box in the back for gear and be a mobile charging trike for people.

Was also wondering if anyone here uses Visio for designing camp layout and utility placement.

Thanks again!

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:05 am

Welcome Aboard.

The number of wheels and the type of power and the ability to be pedaled are what divide with or without DMV permission. Three wheels or less, electric assist, and the ability to be pedaled, no DMV license required. Four wheels or more, DMV or registered handicap license required. Gas motor, license required (some people slide by on this on bikes, but it can be a ticket if BLM wants to bother with you). Electric assist vehicles must have the pedal option, to differentiate them from scooters. Gas scooters without a seat are allowed. A fully electric trike without pedals falls on the wrong side of allowable, but they're there. They can just be a hassle if someone decides you're doing it wrong.

Four wheels, all pedal, no motor assist, perfectly fine too.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”