Virgins from Santa Cruz

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
nattycat
Burning Since: 2019

Virgins from Santa Cruz

Post by nattycat » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:29 pm

Hello hello!
I wanted to reach out to the community and get to talking! My partner and I are planning on making 2019 our first year. I proposed an art piece but who knows if that will come to fruition. If y'all have any tips or happy things to share I would love to hear them. One thing that I am on the fence about is to join a camp or not. I have read a lot of things about surviving the event and that it can be easier and more fun in a group. I would appreciate any thoughts on that, links, or any camps that you would recommend! <3

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Virgins from Santa Cruz

Post by Elderberry » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:08 pm

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

J3nnaL0ng
Burning Since: 2017

Post by J3nnaL0ng » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:20 am

Hi there! My first year was 2017, and I am planning on attending 209 too. I live in the East Bay, outside of San Francisco. Welcome!

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:39 am

Hi, Welcome to ePlaya. To join a camp or not is a personal choice. How self reliant are you. I went by myself forever and love it. You certainly live close enough to bring everything including some shade. With a far bit of research you'll decide if you 'need' a camp or prefer to forge ahead and make it work.

As far as an art project goes, I vote down the first year projects. Let this be your learning experience. Sign up for some Greeter shifts. Center Camp Cafe always need help. If you don't want to commit now, then stop by the V-Spot. Volunteer Resources has a department near Center Camp. You can see who has asked for help that day and go work a shift. I want you to contribute to the community but not bring any art the first year. It will complicate your week in the desert. Spend this first year laughing, crying and screaming with joy.

Or you can help on an art project in your town. There will be several projects and camps near you that need a hand pre burn. Read everything you find. Pay attention to the Jack Rabbit Speaks. Ignore rumors. Prep is half the fun.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

nattycat
Burning Since: 2019

Post by nattycat » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:38 am

Ratty wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:39 am
Hi, Welcome to ePlaya. To join a camp or not is a personal choice. How self reliant are you. I went by myself forever and love it. You certainly live close enough to bring everything including some shade. With a far bit of research you'll decide if you 'need' a camp or prefer to forge ahead and make it work.

As far as an art project goes, I vote down the first year projects. Let this be your learning experience. Sign up for some Greeter shifts. Center Camp Cafe always need help. If you don't want to commit now, then stop by the V-Spot. Volunteer Resources has a department near Center Camp. You can see who has asked for help that day and go work a shift. I want you to contribute to the community but not bring any art the first year. It will complicate your week in the desert. Spend this first year laughing, crying and screaming with joy.

Or you can help on an art project in your town. There will be several projects and camps near you that need a hand pre burn. Read everything you find. Pay attention to the Jack Rabbit Speaks. Ignore rumors. Prep is half the fun.
Thank you for the advice! I was going to talk with some local artists I know who have gone in the past and see if they want to help (or had advice) and if that is the case maybe it could all work out. I think it is a wise decision if I either ask for help or to wait until next year to do my installation (or maybe volunteer with helping build someone else's piece). I appreciate your honesty, but I just really want to make this artwork and give a part of me to everyone. However, you have made a good point of going the first year and just experiencing everything and not worrying about an art project. (I just got so excited about making it I think I lost sight of the possibility of it taking away from my first time there.) I will for sure talk with my team and get their advice and try to talk this out.

As far as the prep stuff and maybe wanting to join a camp I don't think I would really need to due to a lack of sustainability but for a richer experience. I plan to do a lot more research and take advice I have heard from others like meal prep and little things that I may not think of (like making sure to reapply sunscreen because I can work on my tan when I'm not in the desert for 10 days).

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:07 pm

A first year art project can be done but I'd have to agree with Ratty and use your first year to figure it all out and then come back for your second year with guns a blazin'. The amount of distractions, activity, and sensory overload is astonishing your first year and there really is no way to prepare for it completely without having experienced it. It is hard to focus on any one thing for any amount of time because of everything going on all around you so getting your project installed and maintained will be difficult.

"Should I join a camp?"
That is the 64 dollar question. There are advantages and disadvantages to both and you'll have to try it both ways to find out what you like. I personally went solo my first time and had a blast but then found a camp I liked and have been with them for years.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Return to “The Greeter's Station”