Virgin here, going solo...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Lina222
Burning Since: 2019

Virgin here, going solo...

Post by Lina222 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:59 pm

Hi ePlyaa,

My name is Lina and I'm hoping to attend BM this year. Attending burning man has been on my bucket list for some time, though I’ve yet to make an effort to go. I have even passed up opportunities to tag along with acquaintances who attend year after year. The principles of BM have always resonated with me, and I’ve always been intrigued by the experiences retold by others, but it just never felt like the right time, or my time, to go. This unconventional gathering in unpredictable, harsh elements always appealed to me, as it seems like it would be wildly liberating and transformative but the thought of attending and participating has also intimidated, if not completely frightened, me. Especially since I plan on going alone. Like, what's rebar exactly? What if my tent flys away? :P I'm not exactly the most handy person but self-reliant I am. Radically? I’m hoping that this is the year I prove it...

With the theme being Metamorphoses, a celebration of change, I can’t think of any better way to say goodbye to the last decade of my life and enter the next one transformed by the playa and the many people who make it happen. Seriously, can it be more fitting? I'm turning 30 in October and it is a milestone for me. One that I want to celebrate personally and privately, one that I’m compelled to commemorate with introspection, forgiveness, and release. Not only do I want to face my fears, test myself and my capabilities, dance and explore, disconnect, decompress and express myself, but I’m vehemently compelled to throw the heartache and pain and bullshit of my past into the temple. I’ve carried very heavy burdens for too long, I don’t want them anymore and I’m determined to release them, at BM or elsewhere, it would just be extra special to watch it all burn into the desert sky.

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Re: Virgin here, going solo...

Post by Popeye » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:53 pm

Welcome LIna! We are glad to have you on board, reading your post I am sure you will do well.
Read through Eplaya and you will find answers to most of your questions, then come back and ask about anything specific.
BTW this is rebar https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-2-in-x-1- ... lsrc=aw.ds cuts with a hacksaw into about 18" lengths and is used as tent stakes. Many have stopped using rebar and use lag bolts instead and yes, there is a thread for that.
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:11 pm

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

ryfi

Post by ryfi » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:18 am

Hi Lina! I’m a virgin too—your introduction was an inspiring way to look at it. I’ve wantwd to go for years and only now have felt that I can take it on. Cheers! See you on the playa.

Lina222

Post by Lina222 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:11 pm

Thanks everyone! I look forward to seeing you on the playa. This site is soooo helpful and informative

eefje1111
Burning Since: 2022

Post by eefje1111 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:23 pm

hi and welcome!
newbie aswell

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:50 pm

Hi Lina222! Nice articulate introduction, I must say.

Yep, keep on reading, and learning, and becoming more involved, and you'll be just fine out there. The very first time that you prepare for the burn, and make decisions related to it, can become an exciting and memorable aspect of the overall experience. I still treasure my solo leap into the unknown! There are plenty of people here that can happily lend a suggestion or two as you go about your preparation, and perhaps steer you away from things that might not work as well as you might have thought, based on their personal experiences out there. You have plenty of time to think, and rethink how you will go about it all! Have fun with it, and let us know how things are shaping up for you!

Lina222

Post by Lina222 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:09 pm

burner von braun wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:50 pm
Hi Lina222! Nice articulate introduction, I must say.
Thank you very much! It's been maybe a week since I've decided that BM was how I'm going to spend my birthday and since then, I can't stop reading, watching and thinking about BM! I've mentioned it to a few friends and have 2-3 that say they want to go, split costs, set up camp together, but knowing them I feel like I would take on the role of organizer, planner, and babysitter and they'd be ill-prepared. It's still early, but I think one should be prepared months in advance and my friends are the type to "figure it out later" AKA when it's too late. As for going with experienced burners, I'm not sure how I feel tagging along with a bunch of people myself. Ultimately, I think solo is the way to go but we'll see how it all pans out.

I'm from San Jose, CA so it's not too far of a drive for me (I drive solo to Arizona every now and then) but I do think driving alone to BRC would be the most intimidating and then...things like setting up camp and a shade structure solo as well. I'm admittedly a bit of a girly girl. I can handle dirt and dust, harsh elements, and being by myself but I can't change a tire and I haven't put up a tent (Unless holding a tent pole in place while everyone else runs around counts) :shock: Anyway, I'm rambling. I do hope to get a ticket because if I do, I will most definitely figure it out.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:04 am

Lina, it is a pleasure to read such a coherent, thorough, and well-thought-out introduction. (Ah, I see BvB beat me to it. ;-) )

If you should want to explore the possibility of joining a small theme camp, my camp is expanding into two locations this year, and I have room for some new victi smiling faces.

Our primary gig is bicycle repair, but we also do massage, body painting, foot washing, and whatever else we find ourselves able to offer 70,000 of our closest friends.
Did I mention the Grand Piano for all to play?

Some of us have also carried painful burdens for too long, so we speak that language.

I have been "on sabbatical" from ePlaya lately, but I will see if I can jump-start the machinery now so you can PM me for more information if you wish.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:24 am

I would suggest first time burners do some camping if they have not done that. It's fun!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Lina222

Post by Lina222 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:41 pm

Elliot wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:04 am
Lina, it is a pleasure to read such a coherent, thorough, and well-thought-out introduction. (Ah, I see BvB beat me to it. ;-) )

If you should want to explore the possibility of joining a small theme camp, my camp is expanding into two locations this year, and I have room for some new victi smiling faces.

Our primary gig is bicycle repair, but we also do massage, body painting, foot washing, and whatever else we find ourselves able to offer 70,000 of our closest friends.
Did I mention the Grand Piano for all to play?

Some of us have also carried painful burdens for too long, so we speak that language.

I have been "on sabbatical" from ePlaya lately, but I will see if I can jump-start the machinery now so you can PM me for more information if you wish.
Hi Elliot,

Thank you for the warm welcome! I have thought about looking into joining a camp as well...I think contributing is the best way to get to know people and a great way feel included and truly be a part of BRC in a meaningful way. I do want to come back feeling like I was a part of something. My only hesitation is, being a virgin and all, my not being as helpful as I might need to be since I’ll be in 100% foreign environment. I was leaning towards solo so I could acclimate in my own time and setup and get used to this new and foreign place...but the idea of being a part of a camp and having something to contribute does sound appealing. I don’t know much about bikes or painting or massaging :roll: but I’m not incredibly useless...I have a great smile and I make a mean margarita :P and I’m a helpful person, if I can’t do something I certainly always try.

Lina222

Post by Lina222 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:44 pm

some seeing eye wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:24 am
I would suggest first time burners do some camping if they have not done that. It's fun!
Thank you for the suggestion. I do enjoy camping, usually I’ll drive and plan then bring the friends along for muscle. We go to a small festival in Wilseyville every year and I’m volunteering to do the camp setup for the practice!

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:00 pm

Lina222 wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:41 pm
My only hesitation is, being a virgin and all, my not being as helpful as I might need to be...
Thou worryeth too much, M'Lady.
This concern of yours shows that you really do want to contribute, and that makes all the difference. Exactly what you will do... happens by itself.

Lina222 wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:41 pm
... ...
I make a mean margarita ...
You are hired!
We do serve beverages. Three refrigerators, no waiting.
And we need service writers to greet customers, assign jobs to the mechanics, and generally make everything happen smoothly.

Want to get down to the basics of Burning Man? I don't think we have a Moop Meister yet.
Nor a cook -- our beloved Sweet Mama Carolyn passed away a year ago, and we lived on bark and shoe-leather thru the 2018 Burn.

We have Birgins (Burner virgins) in camp every year, and we enjoy showing them the ropes and watching them blossom. You would do just fine if you choose to join an established camp.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 pm

Lins222 Welcome to ePlaya. You are on the right track.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:09 pm

While I think camping solo and fending for one's self in the desert is a rewarding challenge in itself Lina, and one I've greatly enjoyed, I should also mention that I consider Elliot's bicycle camp to be a top-notch camp filled with great folks who have a solid sense of what the burn is about. Being invited into that fold would be a fine direction for your first burn to take!

Lina222

Post by Lina222 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:39 pm

Thank you all for the insight and encouragement, I may just have to consider a camp and take Elliot up on the offer. It does sound like a greater opportunity to contribute to BRC!

Sham

Post by Sham » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:29 pm

Lina222 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:39 pm
Thank you all for the insight and encouragement, I may just have to consider a camp and take Elliot up on the offer. It does sound like a greater opportunity to contribute to BRC!
Elliot is the BEST and an invite from him is a great honor.

Skuzzy61
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp/We got this!

Post by Skuzzy61 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:20 pm

Sham wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:29 pm
Lina222 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:39 pm
Elliot is the BEST and an invite from him is a great honor.
Quoted for truth!
As the camp evolves.....
We got this! 2016/2019
We had it! 2020 Well.....we thought we did
We almost lost it! 2021 Certainly did in 2020!
We have no idea where it is! 2022
Who the hell are we and why are we here? 2023

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:58 am

Lina, please check your PMs.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”