Virgin Burner looking for info

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
pappachuck
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Virgin Burner looking for info

Post by pappachuck » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:38 pm

Hello,
I am from Brazil and live on the US, I am extremely interested in participating in the Burning man festival. 1-) I love the culture, 2-) great networking, 3-) challenge, 4-) Partying hard.

I am making long term plans to come to burning man and I really would appreciate if someone could provide info so I could plan very well and luckily survive the festival.
My plan is to come in a group with a motorhome so I need to know about camps that offer support to members in motorhomes, like offer space, waste disposal services, and support in case things stop working, I don’t want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere.
In general, I know that I need enough to survive for 10 days, fresh water, food, fuel … etc. But things like grey water, black water, and trash disposal seems challenging. Not many people talk about it.
What to do with trash and waste generated?

This is a simple brainstorming what to Bring, what you guys think?
• Motorhome.
• Caged IBC tote tanks – 275 gallons/each. 2 Diesel tanks, 2 Fresh water tanks
• Food, water (6 gallons/ day per person), Fuel (24/7 generator Operation) for 10 days.
• 1x 10KVA Diesel generator. 1x backup generator.
• Tools, spare parts, spare cables, battery.
• 20” enclosed trailer.
• Satcomm, which provider and system should I look for?
• Electric bikes.
• Portable radios and UHF routers, GPS.
• UHF beacon for my equipment, don’t want to lose stuff.
• After all that, I got to have space for my art project.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Virgin Burner looking for info

Post by Ratty » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:09 pm

Welcome. It's great to see you preparing early. Be sure and read info on the burning Man website. It will answer many questions. (Like what to do with your trash.) Your best plan for gray water is don't produce much. You won't need the tanks pumped out. Good luck. Anticipation is half the fun.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

pappachuck

Post by pappachuck » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:07 am

I saw some photos of very organized camps, but I cannot find the camp name. How do I find the organizers of those camps?

Sham

Post by Sham » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:09 am

Welcome Papa Chuck.
For the most part, you won't be finding a camp that can cater to your needs. It's a matter of planning and catering to your own needs. I'm not sure why you'd be needing a sat phone or other communications. Live in the minute and enjoy being off the grid. Plan on bringing 2.5 gallons of water per day. This includes drinking and showering. Yes, it works. Cut back on as much package as possible and use a burn barrel during the week. Avoid using the toilet and showers in the RV as much as humanly possible. There are porta potties strategically place throughout the city. A cruiser bike is the best way to travel since the surface is extremely flat and hard. Bring a bike lock for each bike and make sure to lock it whenever you leave it. Don't do drugs---drugs are bad.

Read up with the links in my signature below. You should find most of the information you're looking for there.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:27 am

There’s a shit ton of info for you to read on burningman.org, regarding trash and grey water.

Doesn’t sound like you’ve done much research on your own at all.

Radical self reliance, it’s a thing
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

pappachuck

Post by pappachuck » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:25 pm

It does not say how to schedule pickup in advance, it just says the name of the company. It does not give number, website nothing to schedule in advance.
It also say that they deliver fuel to the generator, however they do not give any feedback. I just saw that they limit to 110 gallons of Diesel the amount that I can store and it should be enough for almost 3 days. However its hard to plan without guarantees.
I saw they have cellphone coverage, but I already have the Sat internet and all the equipment I need to cover the area. I work with this devices to do telemetry on my autonomous robots.
I love cooking and making nice barbecues, even had an idea for a Solar grill. But to bring meat and perishables need to plan ahead.
Not much info on that, because the large majority of Burners do not plan on having nice setups.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:17 pm

Pick up what? Your trash? You haul that out with you. There are plenty of vendors alongside the highway who will take your trash for $5-10 a bag

I smell creek water
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:25 pm

First of all, you haven’t figured out what Burning Man is if you’re asking where and how to have services provided.
Straight up, that’s bullshit and is what’s ruining the very culture you’re so interested in.

Black Rock City is Radical Self Reliance. Take care of your own logistics. It isn’t easy. It’s the middle of a goddamm desert. If you want all that comfort and convenience, you figure out how to do it.

If you’re capable of hauling all that in, bring your own waste barrels and haul out your own grey water. That’s what I do.
Haul out your own trash. That’s what everyone else does.
Set up your own sat link if you want it, but if you do, you’re missing the point of this event.

There’s no reason to limit yourself to 2.5 gallons of water per day, or avoid using your shower and toilet.
I use mine. But it does mean you get to figure out how to truck in and out what you need to make it happen.
You describe bringing a hell of a lot of gear. If you can do that, why can’t you figure out the rest?
I think it’s funny as hell when people being in huge amounts of gear, and “plan” to have someone else provide services for them, which often ends up not working out, and there they are with a full shitter, no water, and no power... lol. Morons.
This is Burning Man. Cover your own ass.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Sham

Post by Sham » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:49 pm

pappachuck wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:25 pm
It does not say how to schedule pickup in advance, it just says the name of the company. It does not give number, website nothing to schedule in advance.
It also say that they deliver fuel to the generator, however they do not give any feedback. I just saw that they limit to 110 gallons of Diesel the amount that I can store and it should be enough for almost 3 days. However its hard to plan without guarantees.
I saw they have cellphone coverage, but I already have the Sat internet and all the equipment I need to cover the area. I work with this devices to do telemetry on my autonomous robots.
I love cooking and making nice barbecues, even had an idea for a Solar grill. But to bring meat and perishables need to plan ahead.
Not much info on that, because the large majority of Burners do not plan on having nice setups.
The information on approved vendors has not been released yet. This year there is a new approval process for all vendors servicing the playa.

There is extremely sporadic cell phone service on the playa. Very early in the week, you can possibly get a phone call out. Once the crowds start to invade, the service for everyone drops to near zero.

Cooking should be easy on the playa, as long as there are no dust storms happening. We've had to delay meals due to extreme weather. Most camps really do have elaborate meals and kitchen set-ups. Your creativity and imagination makes all things magic happen in the middle of nowhere.

It's always suggested that your first year to go a bit slow and see what the event is made of. Come with an open mind and a positive attitude. After that, simple should be the rule of the week.

It sounds like you've done a lot of research. That's awesome. Keep things moving forward and focus on getting a ticket next.

Sham....

Doktor_Catu
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Opulent Chill

Post by Doktor_Catu » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:32 am

So Pappachuck, got your ticket?
“Be authentic to your dreams. Be authentic to your own idea about yourself. Grind away at your own minds and bodies until you become your own invention. Be Mad Scientists.”
― Warren Ellis, Doktor Sleepless,
-findme at berzins*at*gmail------

Return to “The Greeter's Station”