Really excited to e-meet you!

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
really
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: The Pink Spot

Really excited to e-meet you!

Post by really » Thu May 16, 2019 10:23 am

Hello! I'm Really, or Emily if you'd like, really. Based in SLC, Utah. This year is going to be my fifth burn! So excited.

The most amazing thing about the burn for me (besides the people, of course!) has been the art. There's something about the art at the burn that takes me outside of myself, makes me feel like I'm on another planet, where anything is possible.

This year has been a rough one for me. I lost my mom very unexpectedly a few months ago. And I got this crazy hair in my brain, that I wanted to create this massive art project and bring it to the burn this year. It's been the one thing that's been keeping me going the past few months. It's something positive I can think about, and it means the world to me- the world of my mom- who was the most loving, giving, enthusiastic, happy person I'll ever know- despite all the hard times she went through. Here's a pic:
heart_finalcropped.jpg
So we're doing it. My partner and I- with the support of absolutely amazing camp, The Pink Spot, are making this giant glittering heart, and bringing it out. I can't tell you how excited I am. We've already made a prototype, [fundraising link redacted by moderator], and started to build. Ian, my partner, has done several large builds so we are super on it and stoked about combining his building skills with my crazy vision.

A bit about the Pink Spot: we are very open, old-school burners. We have an art car- the Big Bunny- PLEASE come get on it if you see us about- it's a giant, pink, furry bunny. We welcome everyone and are usually found roaming inner to deep playa throwing parties (we have a big sound system) at art projects between sunset and sunrise.

Anyway, I've spilled my guts- I feel like the burn and all things burn are a space for being radically honest. I am where I am, I feel crazy for doing this but I'm embracing it and honoring the part of me that knows this is what I need for my own healing. I'm hoping that others can find something bright, sparkly and loving when they experience this project as well- and embrace that within themselves. The world can be a dark place- we need this, I think.

Thanks for reading, reallllyyy really really you are awesome!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Really excited to e-meet you!

Post by AntiM » Thu May 16, 2019 1:28 pm

Welcome Aboard.

Skuzzy61
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp/We got this!

Post by Skuzzy61 » Thu May 16, 2019 7:01 pm

Welcome to ePlaya!
As the camp evolves.....
We got this! 2016/2019
We had it! 2020
We almost lost it! 2021
We have no idea where it is! 2022
Who the hell are we and why are we here? 2023

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu May 16, 2019 8:56 pm

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Return to “The Greeter's Station”