Playabrary?

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.
roguefem

Playabrary?

Post by roguefem » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:37 am

I'm thinking about a simple book exchange camp for 2006. Maybe the "Playabrary?" This will be my third Burning Man and I'm really wanting to contribute something this year. I've been a Lamplighter the past several years. I'd just collect books throughout the year, and set up a sort of library where folks could find something to read during the hot afternoons, return when finished, or keep, contribute their own books they're don with. Is there already a camp like this? What do you all think of the idea?

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:47 am

It's already been done...however don't let that statement throw you off. We're talking about being in a city of 35,000 people and a city that size could use more branch libraries or even one really good central one. I'm of the opinion the more books the better. I hope you move forward with it and I wish you the best of luck if you do so.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

roguefem

Post by roguefem » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:54 am

thanks, and I think I will. I figured it had been done before, just didn't see any, but as you say, it is a big place.

jenny

Post by jenny » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:43 pm

I like this idea too. I visited the book mobile on my first trip to BRC, and it was fun. I'd definitely participate in yours. I'd be willing to print out and bind some copies of good public domain books from online. PM me if you decide to do this!

Jenny

p.s. While we're talking books, I just reread The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat by Oliver Sacks. It's case studies of people he's encountered in his career as a neurologist. What it says about all of us and how we think and perceive and be is electrifying. I should have brought it with me last year to share.

K-mom

Post by K-mom » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:44 pm

Weee-ird . The day I got back from BM this year we had a small gathering and someone brought that exact book (Man Who Mistook....) over and left it here. I'v only really skimmed through it so far, read a few excerpts. Seems interesting. Maybe this is a sign I should read it through.
You call it malt liquor, I call it breakfast.

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:51 pm

In that caseI would also recommend "The Man Who Tasted Shapes."
Fight for the fifth freedom!

sallygomez

good idea

Post by sallygomez » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:24 pm

If you're camping far away from the Bookmobile, your playabrary will be mighty conveinent. What if you took a different twist and did a zine library or maybe just magazines?

we0ne

Post by we0ne » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:12 pm

This sounds cool. I thought of a book immediately that is one of my favorites and fits nicely with this years theme. " A canticle for leibowitz" by Walter M. Miller, JR. Perhaps you could encourage people on eplaya to bring their favorite books on hope and fear, the future. I am planning on doing a reading of sorts at some point in the week (not from this book) maybe you could incorporate this idea as well. The PLAYA Book Club- What Oprah wouldn't read, but maybe should! Just some silly thoughts, take 'em or leave 'em.

Starjack

Post by Starjack » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:00 pm

I'll be glad to contribute at least a few books. (My husband would like to see me contribute a lot more!)

Return to “2006 Art & Performance”