Very recently links have been posted to the zoomable image of Black Rock City. And I thought this was cool since it was the 05 event and the last one I had seen was pre-03. Then today _thegypsy posted the link in her journal again and mentioned finding her tent. This led into a 5 minute conversation between us during which I realized what I want to do next year (this in spite of the fact that I swore I would not do big art again).
So here it is...
Using 1 meter square single color fabric swatches, create a 100 meter by 100 meter image that is only visible from a plane or space. Imagine working on the first piece of art specifically designed to be photographed from space!
None of this is set in stone. I may not even do it if I can't get enough participation.
Here are some of my thoughts that I've brainstormed or just had appear in my head late at night:
- Putting the pieces on the ground to cut down on wind related issues. - Problem is that this will require something like 40,000 spikes.
- Make the whole thing a huge shade structure so that it can only be seen from above in total - wind is a huge problem here as is internal support.
- In order to reduce on site complexity have sections pre-sewn into 5m x 5m squares
- If gathered together in one place the material would occupy 10 cubic meters
- Need to see if they will take this photo again in 06.
- Get help creating a web site where people can sign up for a piece of the picture. Must produce a clickable grid showing which pieces are already spoken for. Take their contact info, verify email, email them the colors they sign up for.
- Raise the bar on community involvement by only providing 'infrastructure and organization' Each participant will supply their 'pixel'. This could involve 1/3rd of the population of BRC, but probably much less. Even 500 participants reduces the total number of pieces per person to 20.
- Infrastructure will consist of: perimeter fence and lighting, 400 stakes and 22,000 meters of twine to lay out grid, industrial staplers and 100,000 staples.
- Pixels will be stapled to the grid. Each participant will bring a piece 44 inches square which is a standard width for material and will leave enough spare for folding over the twine grid.
- Organization will consist of the above stated web site, binders to hold the information for on playa use. Each page will show a 10x10 grid with pertinent info in the square.
- Contact someone with a plane to take daily progress photos.
- Overbook pixels. Can always use extra pixels to replace those that might blow away or not actually make it to the playa.
- Plan to burn this, so material should be cotton.
- Cut into sections for easy transport to public burn platforms
- Line walk area after removal and drag a roller magnet to pick up loose staples.