Project Megapixels

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Would you participate?

Yes, I'll bring a square or 10
43%
Yes, I'll bring a square or 10
43%
No, I'll be too stoned to even remember to bring my tent.
2%
No, I'll be too stoned to even remember to bring my tent.
2%
I'm not sure what the hell you're talking about.
5%
I'm not sure what the hell you're talking about.
5%

Total votes: 118

Mozy bonz

Post by Mozy bonz » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:31 am

how many post does it take to lick a big picture?
come on page 5

YES!!!

ok pictures should be no more that 350 pixel wide when posted here.
no more wide spots

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:41 am

Oh come on those images are too wimpy. What's wrong with the bird, fergawdsake? Or a giant teat?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Mozy bonz

Post by Mozy bonz » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:51 am

Hahahah I like the giant teat idea! LOL

Lysergic

yo

Post by Lysergic » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:47 pm

Crypto the point of my post wasn't to pick one of the above said symbols but rather to show that something simple is better. It stands out clearer to have some sort of line art and use the desert as fill in, rather than something complex that won't really show up clear from a satellite perspective. At least imho(in my humble opinion.)
Doubt everything. Find your own light.
--Last words of Gotama Buddha

Lysergic

idae

Post by Lysergic » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:17 am

My roommate had an interesting idea also, perhaps you could use cars to draw the picture, as they're entering the city, would resemble the roads there with a brighter outline and then you could perhaps fill in some key areas to make it look more defined....i dont know just a thought.
Doubt everything. Find your own light.
--Last words of Gotama Buddha

Mozy bonz

Post by Mozy bonz » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:25 am

Lysergic Posted:
Crypto the point of my post wasn't to pick one of the above said symbols but rather to show that something simple is better.

I think fishy was trying to get a giggle out of us. She knows that the pictures that we are posting will probably not be the real pictures. We still need the BM theme.

It's ok to laugh and smile it makes life much more fun :D

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:19 am

The car idea has merit - but remember the 2.5 pixels per minute calculation to get a 100x100 image (crash!!!)
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Mozy bonz

Post by Mozy bonz » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:42 am

I cut and paste some cars over into the playa.

Mozy bonz

Post by Mozy bonz » Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:50 pm

I just really like the idea of making a full color picture. Its never been done.
And I think we can make this work. 10x10 pixel is a good start.

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:55 pm

I like that! Would be gorgeous.

bb

Mozy bonz

Post by Mozy bonz » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:09 pm

this is a painting with gold leaf 4'x5' feet.

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:23 pm

Been thinking about this project...

(1) In my opinion, looking at the sat pix, the scale will have to be on the scale of 2 "radial" lengths of city blocks. Don't have my layout map handy, but that's the scale that would be totally visible, even with poor resolution.

(2) Get the word out early, make it so enticing that the sat photographers will *have* to shoot it. Serious - publicity will make it happen.

(3) Figure on space between the sheets, so wind can escape. We all know how windy the playa is - you want, at worst, the sheets to "ripple" in the wind, not pick up and blow off. The space won't be noticable in the final result, and it will give you room to walk between the sheets in case something starts to go bad, say, in the middle...

(4) This project will rock. Get enough people and it can be set up in hours.

bb

sputnik
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Post by sputnik » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:50 pm

RegionalChaos has put together a user registration system for the project. We're not happy with the look and feel. Would anyone like to take a stab at prettying it up?

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:57 pm

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:Been thinking about this project...

(1) In my opinion, looking at the sat pix, the scale will have to be on the scale of 2 "radial" lengths of city blocks. Don't have my layout map handy, but that's the scale that would be totally visible, even with poor resolution.
That's a bit over 200 meters. Twice the size I've been assuming we would work at. Yes, definately would be a great picture, but it covers 4 times the area. I think a 100x100 area will be tough enough to cover, let alone protect from getting messed up from the time it's setup until taken down.
(2) Get the word out early, make it so enticing that the sat photographers will *have* to shoot it. Serious - publicity will make it happen.
I somewhat agree. I also think that money speaks. This company is in business to sell their images. If people buy the image from the year, then they would more than likely take the photo again next year. I am not advocating for them. Someone will take a photo, even if it is only passing aliens and such
(3) Figure on space between the sheets, so wind can escape. We all know how windy the playa is - you want, at worst, the sheets to "ripple" in the wind, not pick up and blow off. The space won't be noticable in the final result, and it will give you room to walk between the sheets in case something starts to go bad, say, in the middle...
Yes, there needs to be a disconnect between sections of this so that no one section can cause a catastrophic failure.
(4) This project will rock. Get enough people and it can be set up in hours.
I agree with the first part. Not sure that even a whole day will be enough time though. There will be a lot of work to do to set this up.

Mozy bonz

Post by Mozy bonz » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:47 pm

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:27 am

I like that Mozy.

The project seems to be naming itself Megapixels, so I would change the title to that.

We'd also need a link to a registration page. Can you produce the html to go along with the image? If not I can, I have imagemap software. I'll pm you the registration page link so you can see what exists right now.

regionalchaos

Post by regionalchaos » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:57 am

Mozy, that image looks great! Could we scale it to atleast 600 pixels wide though (I have stuff set at 780pixels now, but don't really use all of the relestate)? The top half would be a great header for the sign in and pixel allocation pages, etc..

Anyway, I think I'll be around working on the site more tonight..

Edit: Also, I have named a bunch of stuff MegaPixel or Project MegaPixel, but I don't mind going for Pixels For Space, whatever sounds better to most people is cool with me.

Mozy bonz

Post by Mozy bonz » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:15 am

yes I can. thanks for the input. writing copy was never my strong point.
I can resize change text add text anything. this one was just a picture to get input on what we really want the site to look like.

regionalchaos if you tell me what you need and the size I can make it.

Mozy bonz

Post by Mozy bonz » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:12 am

remember this picture is only for feedback. The size is for here not for the site. please let me know more of what you would like to see. It only took 5 min. to change this. when you all like it I will save it as html
I love feedback (good and bad) it's what drives me to do more.
thanks

regionalchaos

Post by regionalchaos » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:47 am

What is the Testpattern menu for? Is it to show the recent ideas for the picture?

I think we'll need the following links on the front page:

- Art Project Info
- Login or Register
- Test Pattern?
- Post Your Picture Idea Here

I wonder how much work it would take to get a voting thing set up for the picture ideas....

Mozy bonz

Post by Mozy bonz » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:58 am

What is the Testpattern menu for? nothing it can be dropped off. I was just playing with the layout. I can change any of it. This was just a starting point to get feedback. I made a header but again just a starting point.

regionalchaos

Post by regionalchaos » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:59 am

Well, the theme has been announced, time to start thinking about pictures!

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:23 am

I think testpattern is a good place to link to allow people to submit suggestions and browse a gallery of suggested images.

Mozy bonz

Post by Mozy bonz » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:50 am

regionalchaos

Post by regionalchaos » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:36 am

Haha, I like the HOPE and FEAR, looks great!

I think the test pattern should be the same font. Uniform fonts look cleaner. How about that 'login or register' link? Maybe below the image?

Mozy bonz

Post by Mozy bonz » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:46 am

thanks regionalchaos
I will work on that tonight. must go do the job that makes me the money now. pm me if you have anything that you want me to make for it. (size,buttons) anything.

regionalchaos

Post by regionalchaos » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:03 pm

<brainstorming>

It sure would be cool if the image used could be one of those pictures that can be interpreted two different ways (like the old hag vs beauty queen).

So depending on how you look at it or how you focus on it, it appears different to you. If one picture represented hope, and the other fear, it would kick ass.

</brainstorming>

It seems like it would be impossible to find a good hope / fear deal however..

diane o'thirst

Post by diane o'thirst » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:55 pm

Did a search on "Death and the Maiden." Came up with this photo:

The background is even Playa-coloured Image
[url=http://tinyurl.com/245sagf][img]http://tinyurl.com/2bbr28j/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/23753ws][img]http://tinyurl.com/2auqebj/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/m4y82q][img]http://tinyurl.com/l56rdn/.gif[/img][/url]

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:05 pm

Nice ideas. This is something that's been on my brain:

ETA: It's a hope shrouded by a fear.

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:27 pm

I think anything with a swastika is unlikely to be widely distributed in a public forum (and personally I would put the swastika diagonally over the flag). In fact, any sort of political statement will diminish the likelyhood of it getting "published", imho. If you must make a political statement, make it cute, like President Bush and Mickey Mouse arm-in-arm giving each other a lewd smile.

I like the duality idea also (but am not very artistic...)
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to “2006 Art & Performance”