Project Megapixels

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Would you participate?

Yes, I'll bring a square or 10
43%
Yes, I'll bring a square or 10
43%
No, I'll be too stoned to even remember to bring my tent.
2%
No, I'll be too stoned to even remember to bring my tent.
2%
I'm not sure what the hell you're talking about.
5%
I'm not sure what the hell you're talking about.
5%

Total votes: 118

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:15 am

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

sputnik
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Post by sputnik » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:32 am

we0ne wrote:Are you still wanting more participants? Count me in. Are you hoping for money to get the things on your supply list or would you like others to bring them to the playa? I'd be happy help any way I can in the planning process. Perhaps I missed the post, but did you decide on an image yet? I like the idea of not knowing until it's done and just brining my particular piece of material.
We definately need more. Check the web site. We haven't even reach 3% of the total number of pixels needed. Yes, there is still time, but we need to decide by June just what we'll do. So go there and sign up.

No image decision yet. I do have some more submissions that I need to put up on the site.

If anyone can bring supplies that are on the list, just post here.
It's going to be alright.

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:34 am

quiltfairy wrote:I have been following your progress and while waiting to buy tickets today decided to check out your sight. I think the galaxy pic is a great idea. it goes with the theme this year and imagine how much fun people would have after the fact saying I'm that star right there.
I like that image too. However, this isn't going to be like what they do at sports stadiums. Your pieces will be dropped of and incorporated into the whole well before the photo is taken. I have no hope of having 10,000 people up and ready to do something at 10 in the morning.

Lysergic

yo

Post by Lysergic » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:23 pm

What this project needs is exposure. I'm sure the momentum will build up but it seems like in order to pull this off we need to downsize and also use a really simple but effective picture. Thinking of more ideaz....will email when I do. Also note though that if it is line art then the desert floor will fill in the gaps...that is we only need 'black' fabric and can even solicite people at the beginning of the event for the final scraps...
Doubt everything. Find your own light.
--Last words of Gotama Buddha

sputnik

Re: yo

Post by sputnik » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:51 am

Lysergic wrote:What this project needs is exposure. I'm sure the momentum will build up but it seems like in order to pull this off we need to downsize and also use a really simple but effective picture. Thinking of more ideaz....will email when I do. Also note though that if it is line art then the desert floor will fill in the gaps...that is we only need 'black' fabric and can even solicite people at the beginning of the event for the final scraps...
I'm reserving downsizing for a few months. I agree that we need exposure. I've emailed the Jack Rabbit Speaks and hope to have a blurb in the next newsletter. I encourage all of you to contact anyone you know to spread the word. I've had a few people contact me offering help with marketing. We'll see if anything comes of that.

Mozy bonz

Post by Mozy bonz » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:02 pm

we0ne

Post by we0ne » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:45 pm

Sent the link to our Kidsville email group, you might get some more help from some in that group.

Cheers!

Mozy bonz

Post by Mozy bonz » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:33 pm

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:29 am

I'm ready to move the website over to dreamhost.com, but am wondering if anyone already has an account with them and would be willing to host this project? I'd rather not drop $120 on them for this unless I have to (that pays for a year's worth up front, otherwise there is a $50 setup fee).

we0ne

Post by we0ne » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:07 pm

I'm sure you have already answered this question a few times, what are the measurements for material for each pixil?

Thanks

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:45 am

The measurement is 1 meter square. One of the standard widths for material in the US is 44 inches and so we'll be recommending that people start with a 44 inch square and then sewn down the edges to 1 meter.

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:55 pm

Yippee! The note just appeared in the Jack Rabbit Speaks and the server is getting pounded.

regionalchaos

Post by regionalchaos » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:54 am

sputnik wrote:Yippee! The note just appeared in the Jack Rabbit Speaks and the server is getting pounded.

I just saw! I'm so excited! :D
Participate! - )'( -

http://regionalchaos.net

dogwin

Post by dogwin » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:55 am

Some thoughts. Herding kittens, that really want to be doing lots of things, but maybe not this, right now, right here... but, how about thursday dude?

Ok, KISS satellite imagry 101.

A water truck makes a 3 pixel wide image, as seen on the sat Imagry from 05.

Ask the Sat Company, to give us a date/time for the projected photo-run, and other possible option days/times. Daylight passes only, but Fire art would be nice too.

Keep it simple. my vote, 3 water trucks, make a 1/5 mile circle. At the top, they cut it in half with another pass. Then an inverted V, 1/3 of the way up the bisecting line. yep, A peace sign. Simple, easy, no moop. Little or no cost. Gone in 2 hours, or less.

Thoughts? Hell, 5 trucks wide, it can circle the entire man.
'

sputnik wrote:Yeah, that's a possibility, but making a really big image like that does mean maintaining continuity of some sort between the main locations (if I understand you right). That might be difficult with traffic passing around/over the pieces.

Mozy (and everyone really), in order to make this happen we have to keep the vibe up. We have to commit to doing this now. We have to get other people involved. Even with 100 people involved this will be a lot of work. I know that about this time last year we were very seriously talking about having an ePlaya camp with the bar and all, and then it evaporated. It's really tough to keep people who are only connected via these electronic bits engaged in the project. Once they feel no longer a part of things they fall away.

Get people around you interested. I have a good group going around me, maybe 5 or 10 right now. I'm hoping to build that up to 20 or so.

I'm seriously considering camping at the artwork and using part of it for a shade structure. Maybe this could become the fabled ePlaya camp.

regionalchaos

Post by regionalchaos » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:31 am

dogwin wrote:Some thoughts. Herding kittens, that really want to be doing lots of things, but maybe not this, right now, right here... but, how about thursday dude?

Ok, KISS satellite imagry 101.

A water truck makes a 3 pixel wide image, as seen on the sat Imagry from 05.

Ask the Sat Company, to give us a date/time for the projected photo-run, and other possible option days/times. Daylight passes only, but Fire art would be nice too.

Keep it simple. my vote, 3 water trucks, make a 1/5 mile circle. At the top, they cut it in half with another pass. Then an inverted V, 1/3 of the way up the bisecting line. yep, A peace sign. Simple, easy, no moop. Little or no cost. Gone in 2 hours, or less.

Thoughts? Hell, 5 trucks wide, it can circle the entire man.
But where's the participation in that man? Where's the Love?!
Participate! - )'( -

wingnut

Post by wingnut » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:39 am

Fantastic idea - but maybe the image concept can be more organic.

Instead of working to 'finish' that perfect square, we could think of it as a pattern that is improvised, built up like a quilt as the units of fabric arrive. It can have a beauty that grows and develops, and won't suffer if some people don't show up or the pieces aren't made to the correct spec, or blow away.

Folk patterns have that sort of quality; here's an american quilt.

[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~robcostin/temp/quilt.jpg[/img]

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:07 am

dogwin wrote:Ask the Sat Company, to give us a date/time for the projected photo-run, and other possible option days/times. Daylight passes only, but Fire art would be nice too.
This would be the image of last resort since, as RegionalChaos points out, there is no participation except on the part of the drivers.

Regarding the nighttime images, I could probably get one, but it would cost a lot of money and only show indistinct points of light.

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:10 am

wingnut wrote: Folk patterns have that sort of quality; here's an american quilt.
Yeah, an abstract would be good for those reasons. I honestly hope we don't have to go that route. But who knows. I'll keep it in mind.

BTW, because of the article in the Jack Rabbit we've gotten a committment for 100 pixels. We're more than 4% of the way there.

For all of you reading this who have signed up but not committed to pixels, what are you waiting for?

mars

Post by mars » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:09 am

Heard about it from the JRS and I am so excited about this idea!! Maybe the server is a little overloaded right now as I can't seem to be able to log in, even after having registered. So I'll wait a bit, but just wanted to let you know, I'm in and I'll get my campmates in as well.

Neon
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:11 am

Mars, what ID did you register with?

regionalchaos

Post by regionalchaos » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:34 am

mars wrote:Heard about it from the JRS and I am so excited about this idea!! Maybe the server is a little overloaded right now as I can't seem to be able to log in, even after having registered. So I'll wait a bit, but just wanted to let you know, I'm in and I'll get my campmates in as well.

Neon
You should receive a confirmation email, with a link that you need to follow in order to activate your account. If you haven't received this yet then the email address might have been incorrect. I am happy to confirm you by hand if needed, but I think it's been working for most people. Also, if I confirm you by hand you might need to update your email after.
Participate! - )'( -

Mozy bonz

Post by Mozy bonz » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:51 pm

hey SoundMan over here. We are open to all discussions about the project. post here for any coments you would like us to hear.

SoundMan
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Burning Silicon

Mega MOOP?

Post by SoundMan » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:12 pm

I'm very interested in the Megapixel project, but I'm concerned about the MOOP potential despite best intentions and planning. Especially, if the assembly is done "interactively" a pixel at a time with folks walking on other pixels, the opportunity for loosening fabric to be blown away at the first big howler is large.

Have we considered other methods of pixelization, primarily directional raking/ploughing/furrowing of the playa to create a grayscale/shadowscale image? Foot paths between the rows of pixels would be possible (unlike with fabric), if needed. The direction of furrowing would be one variable with the spacing/width of the furrows being another.

This being said, I've done cable burying detail on the playa before, and the ground can be very hard. I think mechanical means would have to be employed.

Sound Man

sputnik

Re: Mega MOOP?

Post by sputnik » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:15 pm

SoundMan wrote:I'm very interested in the Megapixel project, but I'm concerned about the MOOP potential despite best intentions and planning. Especially, if the assembly is done "interactively" a pixel at a time with folks walking on other pixels, the opportunity for loosening fabric to be blown away at the first big howler is large.
Sound Man
I'm very concerned with MOOP. As much as possible this will not be assembled a pixel at a time on the playa. I really am looking for people to bring 5 to 10 pixels as a minimum. We're also looking at how to keep this on the ground. Finally, each row will be independent of each other in order to keep this from being a 10,000 sq yard sail. Furthermore, earlier discussion here shows that a pixel at a time is impossible from a time perspective.

regionalchaos

Post by regionalchaos » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:20 pm

Website Update!

In an attempt to try and address some information accessibility concerns we have done a little tweaking to the site. There is a new statistics link under the home page that shows an "at a glance" overview of the project. 99 registered participants so far! :D There is a new QA section in the "about" area. If you guys can think of more questions for us to cover there let us know.

Mozy: If you can add a spot on the image for "Statistics" I can map that link like the others.

Thanks for all your support everyone!
Participate! - )'( -

dogwin

Post by dogwin » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:49 pm

Hmmm.. 7 years. outside of the temple and a few other projects, events "during the week" tend to go "Poof" on people. Its the, "Oh shit, *that* was yesterday, sorry dude"Syndrome.

Ok, so, no love. Love to see it happen, just no so much with the Simpsons image. in reality, I think, for commercial sats, your image blocks need to be bigger than one meter. my car was not visible, but our 20x30 shade structure was, as a blurred image. I can see the approximate location of my vehicle, by the greyed out spot, at the highest resolution I could obtain. Thats a meter by two meters. Black on white.

Bigger pixels dude. an image 100 yards by 100 yards. Oh, let the pros know too. They can always use something fun to calibrate on.

But, when all else crashes and burns (metaphorically speaking), you still have water trucks, and you still have DPW contacts, and you can still get an image made.

Oh, and a peace sign, 1/3 of the size of the area between the man and the esplanade. Well, it will likely end up on desktops outside of ours. I mean, while the pros are determining whether or not a woman is a C or a D, from space, even the commercial sats are going to be looking for something "with meaning".

License plates? A little harder. They face the wrong direction, and even with adaptive optics and enhancement, thats a lot of air to look through, 45 degrees off vertical.

Going away now.

Thoughts? Hell, 5 trucks wide, it can circle the entire man.[/quote]

But where's the participation in that man? Where's the Love?![/quote]

dogwin

Post by dogwin » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:55 pm

sputnik wrote:Mars, what ID did you register with?
fyi. All links still dead. just so you know.

dogwin

Post by dogwin » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:04 pm

we0ne wrote:Sent the link to our Kidsville email group, you might get some more help from some in that group.

Cheers!

I am trying to find a friend from Kidsville last year. Send me the link?

D

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:15 pm

dogwin wrote:
Um....no...They are working just fine. I'm watching the log file right now and I am seeing people getting files off the server every 10 to 20 seconds or so. PM me or RegionalChoas with details of what isn't working.

dogwin

Post by dogwin » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:24 am

sputnik wrote:
dogwin wrote:
Um....no...They are working just fine. I'm watching the log file right now and I am seeing people getting files off the server every 10 to 20 seconds or so. PM me or RegionalChoas with details of what isn't working.

at the time I wrote it, the only link functioning was the sample gallery. All is working now however. Keep the faith!

Return to “2006 Art & Performance”