motorized chess

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.
ThePikey

Post by ThePikey » Thu May 18, 2006 1:01 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:I talk about having a team of players on each side, each member of the team controlling the pieces belonging to his side for ten turns before he gets replaced by another member of his team ("tag team") and going back to the party that all of the rest of the team is at. It's a simple concept.
But not one that you articulated well *at all*. This thread started off with talk of 32 people on scooters, and made several shifts after that, with people schlepping pieces across the desert, to performers acting stuff out for folks and then moving on, to.... god only knows dude. If you can't clearly state what your position is in one post and not scattered all through the thread, how the hell do you expect people to know what you're thinking?
Curmudgeon wrote:You know what? This is the third version of my reply to you that I've written, because the first two times I so thoroughly lost my cool that I wrote things that I'd rather not say. But you do seem to not qute be all there, mentally speaking and there's no gentle way of saying that.
Curmudgeon wrote:If you are genuinely too slow to understand
Curmudgeon wrote:this thread now belongs to the trolls and the headcases.
Physician heal thyself. I made efforts to be helpful and to make clear that I wasn't just trying to be negative. You're the one to start throwing insults. (i.e. the troll is you.)
Curmudgeon wrote:Do I go back and forth forever with somebody who will just never get it, no matter how much I try to spoonfeed a simple idea to him? Do I ask people to wade through that? Or do I do what I'm going to do now?
Curmudgeon wrote:I'm going to take my ball and go home"

K-mom

Post by K-mom » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:24 am

What's the big deal? Isn't the point of throwing an idea out into an open-forum discussion so that it can pass through debate, be re-tooled, and come out on the otherside ready to be put into action? There's nothing wrong with change.
Also, please don't speak for the rest of us regarding our attention spans. We're not all distracted by shiny objects. I'd gladly stand about waiting my turn to move according to one of the chess players ... finally a fresh perspective on such an old game - and at worst, I'm sure I'd make some new friends out on the playaboard.
-k
You call it malt liquor, I call it breakfast.

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:12 pm

K-mom wrote:What's the big deal? Isn't the point of throwing...
thats true but due to... wait, whats that?

ooooo, a quarter..

ThePikey

Post by ThePikey » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:37 pm

As far as the changing thing goes, that's more than cool. But you keep switching, and going on to something else, and then again... the message gets muddled. And clarity was not his strong point.

As for the attention span thing that's based on my own experiences with a 16' board that somebody set up on the playa last year, with 3' high pieces and blacklights and elwire and looked cool as all fucking hell at night. I certainly dug it, and was more than willing to play a whole game. But nobody would stick around - they'd either lose interest and wander off after a few moves, or the friends they were with would get bored and they'd want to leave and they'd take off with their friends. For that matter, after playing one game with three consecutive opponents who wandered off before it finished, *I* lost interest. This is what I've seen and experienced - not just me having a negative opinion of burners, k?

It doesn't seem that there are very many people who are so hardcore into chess that their passion for the game will override the attractions of the rest of BMC. And if you want that kind of sustained attention and interaction from people, you're going to have to do something special to get it. Just sayin'.

K-mom

Post by K-mom » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:46 pm

True True. Ok I give you realism points... I'd like to believe in my full attention span theory but it probably isnt true... I could see it going good as like an early morning (say 8,9,10 am) thing but then I'm sure half the promised pawns would fail to show up. Hell so would I. Next idea!

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:13 pm

dunno how real, just joshin around actually..

Finnegan

Playa Killa

Post by Finnegan » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:24 pm

Screw chess... That sounds more like a city-wide game of "Killer"!
http://www.sjgames.com/killer/

Hell Yep! Killer on the playa would be too much fun! How mad can you get, killed with a squirt gun out there?
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd

K-mom

Post by K-mom » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:11 pm

I would join up for a game of Killer in a second.

Return to “2006 Art & Performance”