Looking to bring sound from NY to the playa

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.
Acidiphonic

Looking to bring sound from NY to the playa

Post by Acidiphonic » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:37 am

Me and my girl are looking to finally make it to the event this year and I'm thinking about possibly bringing my sound system with me for all of our enjoyment.

Problem is I dont Have a drivers license so I can't even rent a uhaul or something.

I have (4) 15's with horns and some smaller monitors and the moment and 3 amps. Should be picking up some 18" subs in the coming month and whatever else I end up splurging on between now and the event.

So my question is if anyone is coming from the east coast and has room available I'd be willing to pitch in on gas or whatever other fees to get it all there.

Also would be nice to meet more burners in the new york city area if you're out there.

D

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:49 am

Just out of curiosity -- why not just get a driver's license?
It's what you make it.

Acidiphonic

Post by Acidiphonic » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:58 am

[quote="HughMungus"]Just out of curiosity -- why not just get a driver's license?[/quote]

i had one at one point but it was taken away from me due to numerous tickets several years ago...

besides if i get a license again i'd probably end up buying another car... which means i'll stop taking public transit once again... its for the better.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:28 pm

What about power? That doesn't sound like it will run on batteries, hmm?

And hey, I don't have a license either. I hit things.

Chai Guy

Post by Chai Guy » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:47 pm

There is a group from NYC that rents several large shipping containers (sharing the cost amongst many artists) and sends them via rail and truck to the event. Unfortunately I don't have the time to do a search, but contact one of the NYC regional reps and they should be able to help you or search this board for "Rail" and "NYC".

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:39 pm

You might consider shipping it using a commercial shipper. If I were you I'd call Roadway or get on uship.com to get a quote. Make sure you know the dimensions and approximate weight (and try to get the weight down because you don't want any surprises when you get your bill).

In our case we used EGL (who our work uses), shipped to their freight place in LA, flew in, picked up the RV, drove to the freight place, loaded the RV with our shipment, went to Burning Man, then on the way back did the opposite to get stuff home. Not the cheapest way but a possibilty. You'll probably have to have the shipper pick it up from wherever you live so make sure they know that's part of the deal (door to door). Also, you might have to pack it yourself (and this might save you $) so ask if they pack and figure out if you can save $ packing it yourself. It's OK to just do this for informational purposes (that is, get quotes to figure out the best way even if you don't use them).

Chai's suggestion is probably the best if you can get on board.
It's what you make it.

Azusu

Post by Azusu » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:35 am

NYC here, in FULL Effect!

This year the crew thought to make light of the MTA strike and bring Metrocards for everyone to enjoy.

We should definitely hook up. Maybe we'll have ideas on how to transport your system...
----- .......... @@@@ PEACE

Savior69

Re: Looking to bring sound from NY to the playa

Post by Savior69 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:32 pm

Acidiphonic wrote:Also would be nice to meet more burners in the new york city area if you're out there.

D
Are you new to the area? You must be, or aren't looking very hard. There are about a bazillion NYC burners that don't hide themselves at all. The easiest way is to contact your regional representitive thru burningman.com, and they will point you to the many NYC groups. Tribe.com has a NYC burners tribe as well. A quick google search will reveal many more. There is a yahoo discussion group.... NYC Burners are plentiful!
BM Pictures: www.pbase.com/1969

webdaemon

Post by webdaemon » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:21 pm

i live in nyc i was a virgin burner last year... thanks to this post i have found a few burners in the nyc area.

im going back to burning man this year also. my dad is taking me since i am 15 and he is 62... hes awesome. we are gonna fly over to reno then drive up to burning man. i think you can possibly join us in reno if you want then we could all go as one.

sun4all

A couple of things to consider

Post by sun4all » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:48 pm

1. Playa dust is VERY hard on electronics. Your speakers might be okay, but if you don't seal up your electronics properly, they'll be damaged.

2. Large scale sound installations are restricted to certain areas of the playa. Check out the sound regulations at BM before brining your setup to the playa.

3. People who are not considerate with their sound systems can get into trouble. Believe me, I've gotten the Ranger's involved with more than one irresponsible sound system owner over the years.

slimehag

There is a container

Post by slimehag » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:14 pm

There is a container, it goes each year, if you dont like our container there is even one that goes from Boston too. The NY container is run by the Stick packed in Brooklyn and winds up on the playa in Asylum Vilage. You pay for it by cubic foot which you have to book in advance usually by July or early August, the thing leaves approximately 2 weeks before Bman.

If you want to find out about it and all the other lovely things happening in your area join the NYBman list at;

[email protected]

It's a very active list with lots of stuff discussed most of it not to do with Bman but there are lots of people who can give you sound local advice about how to get you and your stuff to the Playa.

Dont bother the NY reps with it they're busy enough.

Best

Slimehag

Lenstar

Post by Lenstar » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:50 am

He there. Hope u can make it, it's a long trip. I'm flying in from Ireland for the second year in a row. I'm bringing some of my equipment with me so if u need/want a hand djing I'd be more than glad to help u out.
All i want is to play at the burning man

PatternInterrupt
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Gamelan X

Post by PatternInterrupt » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:56 am

Lenstar wrote:He there. Hope u can make it, it's a long trip. I'm flying in from Ireland for the second year in a row. I'm bringing some of my equipment with me so if u need/want a hand djing I'd be more than glad to help u out.
Howdy Lenstar,

The Now is looking for some more campers. We were the Bus Burners last year and camped with Aisling, Róisín, and Mark who came with us from LA via Ireland. We hooked up with the 15 Irish guys in the RV... were you with them?? I think there were some marriages going on....

Acidiphonic, we're planning to rent a large system to use in The Now in 2006. But if you're looking for a place to use your system... it might be synchronitaneousness.

http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=12400

¥

Withtomorrow

Post by Withtomorrow » Mon May 01, 2006 1:30 pm

Hi there,
I'm a NYC burner. This will be my 3rd time attending, can't wait to get back out there. I will be teaching dance again. If you have any questions or concerns feel free to e-mail me.

*JB

[email protected]

Return to “2006 Art & Performance”