Couple seeks friends we haven't met yet

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.
DrBear

Couple seeks friends we haven't met yet

Post by DrBear » Wed May 03, 2006 6:05 pm

This is year number two for us. This time we're doing it right! We've rented a huge RV, we're bringing great swag for gifts and bartering, and most importantly our own party favors. Tried to find them at the event last time. Big mistake.
We'd like to exchange some e-mails with a few like-minded people so we'll know someone already when we get there. Last time it took the first day and a half just to find the perfect group to hang out with. Imagine what we could have done with that day and a half....

Freaks, perverts and the criminally insane are encouraged to apply.

This year we will be giving out (among other things) laminated photos of George Bush with sticky backing so they can be applied to the inside lid of your toilet.

Drop us a line if your a fun couple or girl(s) over 25 and you wanna hang at BM [email protected][/b]
Don't dream it, be it.

thisisthatwhichis

Re: Couple seeks friends we haven't met yet

Post by thisisthatwhichis » Wed May 03, 2006 6:37 pm

DrBear wrote: Freaks, perverts and the criminally insane are encouraged to apply.
Probably have the wrong event. Suggest you just look in your neighborhood......

Take a little swag, though... ,<Gulp>, thanks....
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon

Rockdad

Post by Rockdad » Wed May 03, 2006 7:27 pm

DrBear wrote:This is year number two for us. This time we're doing it right! We've rented a huge RV, we're bringing great swag for gifts and bartering, and most importantly our own party favors. Tried to find them at the event last time. Big mistake.
We'd like to exchange some e-mails with a few like-minded people so we'll know someone already when we get there. Last time it took the first day and a half just to find the perfect group to hang out with. Imagine what we could have done with that day and a half....

This year we will be giving out (among other things) laminated photos of George Bush with sticky backing so they can be applied to the inside lid of your toilet.

Drop us a line if your a fun couple or girl(s) over 25 and you wanna hang at BM [email protected][/b]
You are bringing your own pointy hats, balloons and noise makers Yippie sounds so cool but alas I am not a couple just a dude so no fun party favors for me shucks, and damn guess that means I can not hang out in the JOTS with Freaks, perverts and the criminally insane and play with stickers damn...and you guys sounded just like the type I wanted to hang with!

May I suggest some more Pooh fun Image
We've rented a huge RV
Radical self reliance there... why no Catering?
Last time it took the first day and a half

ie;"By then it was Sunday night and we had to cut out so we could leave our Moop behind"
We'd like to exchange some e-mails
[email protected]
Eplaya Bar Camp 2006 "What will it be"

[url=http://eplayabar.blogspot.com/]The Eplaya Bar Camp Blog[/url]

I am the River you saw Ye

you bring the squirrels

Post by I am the River you saw Ye » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:22 pm

its good to know people out there care enough about their own happiness to not make others responsible for it.
From assholes you get shit

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:50 pm

I hope each peice of SWAG is individually wrapped and shatters easily.
Fight for the fifth freedom!

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:03 pm

This shit belongs in the First Time Posters Prioritising Casual Sex As a Reason to Head Back to the Playa thread.

That shit's just fucking creepy.

uBeRpLaYa

Post by uBeRpLaYa » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:50 pm

DrBear wrote:This is year number two for us. This time we're doing it right! We've rented a huge RV, we're bringing great swag for gifts and bartering, and most importantly our own party favors. Tried to find them at the event last time. Big mistake.

sIgN mE uP.

Cabanasprings

Post by Cabanasprings » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:02 pm

Yeah man - I'm in.

Ron

Post by Ron » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:29 pm

Isotopia wrote:This shit belongs in the First Time Posters Prioritising Casual Sex As a Reason to Head Back to the Playa thread.

That shit's just fucking creepy.
Creepy? What's so creepy about it?

I find the knee jerk negativity that follows such posts much more bothersome than the post itself. But what's creepy about the notion of folk going to the playa to look for recreational sex?

Ron

Cabanasprings

Post by Cabanasprings » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:43 pm

My mother used to always say "Only boring people get bored" maybe then it is true that only "Creepy people get creeped out."

Yeah my mom was a bitch - cause...... you see <------I'm a dog - okay well I'm not really a dog and my mom's not really a bitch. It's more that she is just angry and has no sense of humor. Maybe I shouldn't have stolen the family stationwagon - but that was a long time ago. Man you would think she would be over that by now.

ThePikey

Post by ThePikey » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:58 am

Ron wrote:But what's creepy about the notion of folk going to the playa to look for recreational sex?
Ron
Well, what's creepy/annoying about frat boys coming out to the playa looking for nude girlies and recreational sex?

Ron

Post by Ron » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:24 pm

ThePikey wrote:....Well, what's creepy/annoying about frat boys coming out to the playa looking for nude girlies and recreational sex?
Nada. And I've never said otherwise.

Is that the closest thing anyone's got for an answer to my question? Iso, why is the OP creepy, to you, if I may ask?

Ron

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:41 pm

Ron it's a reasonable question.

It creeps me out because it violates several values I hold near and dear. To the extent that I subscribe to a "burner ethos" what the OP said just seemed to violate that. To me it smacked of base consumerism. It described a system where if you put something in, it will spit something out, all preset and pre-determined. There was an air of the rote and formuliaic about it as well.

RV -- check
SWAG -- check (whatever the fuck SWAG is)
Young couple (but preferably a single girl who's hot!) -- check

Where's the spark? Where's the creative risk? Where's the contribution? (Giving out SWAG [whatever the fuck that is] is at best a marginal contribution, and given how much ends up at the trash fence, might even be viewed as a burden on the volunteers who stoop to pick it up).

So that's what creeped me out.

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:28 pm

if you think thats some sorta cry for sex...

man, i must be completely out of touch. hope you connect well bear.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:50 pm

Ron wrote:
ThePikey wrote:....Well, what's creepy/annoying about frat boys coming out to the playa looking for nude girlies and recreational sex?
Nada. And I've never said otherwise.

Is that the closest thing anyone's got for an answer to my question? Iso, why is the OP creepy, to you, if I may ask?
I'll hazard a guess that it may have something to do with what Iso's seen on playa as a ranger. As I remember he had one of those disgusting stories involving someone (maybe without good english, I'm hazy on the details) who accepted a ride, was expected to put out and basically ended up kicked out of camp without equipment. The Rangers and the comminity were able to find her a place for the event and all worked out, but when you've seen something like that two or three times, things that start tickling that part of the brain make you worry, especially when you have a commitment to the event being open for all.

But this is my interpolation, not Iso's say so.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

I am the River you saw Ye

truth

Post by I am the River you saw Ye » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:15 pm

4 what its worth, I think it is right in line with burningman ideology. Don't ask, don't get. Be responsible for your own level of envolvement. Get what you need, for what you have taken the time to find out and understand what you want, then barter for it. Money is still barter as money is not real, just a symbol. Its a way of equating value to dissimular things. Or if you want to look @ it as gifting, what more beautiful thing can you give than to give of yourself?
Besides, this may be all be 4 nought, I did not see the word sex anywhere in the message.
From assholes you get shit

blyslv

Re: truth

Post by blyslv » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:39 pm

I am the River you saw Ye wrote:4 what its worth, I think it is right in line with burningman ideology. Don't ask, don't get. Be responsible for your own level of envolvement. Get what you need, for what you have taken the time to find out and understand what you want, then barter for it. Money is still barter as money is not real, just a symbol. Its a way of equating value to dissimular things. Or if you want to look @ it as gifting, what more beautiful thing can you give than to give of yourself?
Besides, this may be all be 4 nought, I did not see the word sex anywhere in the message.
O Boy I get to talk about barter! My favorite definition of money is "consensual halloucination." It is an abstration. Exchanging value for money is not the same as barter. Money lets you assign an arbitrary value to something ($3). Before people interact in a store they each think they know the "value" of something. Without that abstraction making people think they know the value, they have to interact more.

Imagine walking into the 7/11 to get a pack of cigs, and you don't know the value and you have to barter with the clerk. He wants a horse, a hawk or a coat, something else of value. You could spend days figuring out the transaction. Add money to it and remember your typical 7/11 purchase and the extent of your interaction. That's what makes barter so different from cash. You have to interact with people so you can figure out the value to them of whatever it is you want to exchange.

-------------------------

RE: sex. You're right, the word did not appear. It is something I infered. Still it creeped me out on an instintual level.

Ron

Re: truth

Post by Ron » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:44 pm

blyslv wrote:...
RE: sex. You're right, the word did not appear. It is something I infered. Still it creeped me out on an instintual level.
It seems to me that it's the things you're inferring that's bothering you more than what was actually posted. The OP doesn't imply some kind of rote, commercialized, interaction to me at all. It does read like a couple of swingers looking for like minded folk. BFD. The city is full of members of various sub-communities (fire spinners, gay men, fans of the thumpy music, alcoholics, and so on) all looking for like minded folk.

Is it that these posters are looking to share sex, rather than foot washing, story telling, stilt walking, or healing (in all it's flavors) that bothers you? Or does it seem like the same kind of violation of the "burner ethos" when folk post looking to share those as well?

Ron

PlayaPetal

Post by PlayaPetal » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:59 pm

Creepy? What's so creepy about it?

I find the knee jerk negativity that follows such posts much more bothersome than the post itself. But what's creepy about the notion of folk going to the playa to look for recreational sex?

Ron
I'm right there with you Ron. Geesh...
Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time.

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:00 pm

Sex is in a category all by itself. You may not agree with that, or think it is foolish. But a the very least you should recognize that many people think sex is in a category by itself.

Ron

Post by Ron » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:29 pm

blyslv wrote:Sex is in a category all by itself. You may not agree with that, or think it is foolish. But a the very least you should recognize that many people think sex is in a category by itself.
Sure, I was just checking my impression that you were one of those folk who do so.

So it is the sex that bothers you, then?

Ron

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:45 pm

No it's not. I explained what bothered me.

It's their formulaic rote approach and the desire to close themselves off to new people and expereinces unless those people have exactly what the OP wants.

It's their sense that there is a set way "to do" burningman. It's the consumerist attitude.

Why are you so defensive?

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:50 pm

It's not much different than the anti-drama, exclusionary attitude that some camps / groups setup out there. Some groups have no problem with doing that, perhaps they should rethink their comments on this subject.

Ron

Post by Ron » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:44 pm

blyslv wrote:....
It's their sense that there is a set way "to do" burningman. It's the consumerist attitude.

Why are you so defensive?
What am I defending? From my perspective I'm not defensive, I'm inquisitive. I'm trying to figure out why it is that when someone posts a message that could be construed as looking for sexual partners they invariably get flamed by the holy rollers of the eplaya. If that adds up to defensiveness in your eyes, you've that right. Just as you've a right to flame as you will. I'm just trying to figure out why.

For what it's worth, seems to me that comparing ways "to do," burningman takes even more ego that even I've got. Short of not paying for a ticket, leaving piles of trash around, or otherwise egregious examples everyone's way, "to do," the burn is pretty much one to me. Some drink/imbibe as much as possible, dance all night, and call it good. Others bust ass to build something, while others just look around for ass. And I really don't feel qualified to rank order any of those ways of "doing," the burn but that's just me.

Ron

Badger

Post by Badger » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:24 pm

Remember though some exclusionary camps / groups are that way for good reason.

Usually damn good one(s).

I imagine Hee Bee Gee Bee will be somewhat exclusionary or more restrictive given the incident they had last year with the sexual assault. I don't think the predator involved was actually a member of the camp though.

The Temple of Atonement was pretty restrictive during certain hours of the day and evening in order to provide a safe, non-judgemental environment free from gawkers. I think they took their cue from Bianca's Smut Shack which had to eventually deal with the issue of gawkers, photographers and non-participating butt-wipes who were there only to vicariously suck on the energy of others.

I think that for every large, public camp that has ever been on the playa there are a score of smaller encampments that had to face the issue of being exclusionary because a particular event, incident or individual made the majority of the members uncomfortable. I know from experience of one or two camps who were just freaked the fuck out by the idea of having an unwanted guest trying to integrate themselves into a social situation which most felt truly uncomfortable with. It happens all the time. Sometimes people take the exclusion well and other times people see it as a fuse to ignite their own drama fest complete with persecution complexes, bile-infused rants or conspiracies.

I've always thought the subject would make for an interesting thread on this board where people suggested ways of dealing with a situation where one or more individuals were persona non grata.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:45 pm

I've always favored the gentle, diplomatic approach... the 6 step approach, the mnenomic of which is...

Gather, Distract, Direct, Apply, Discard, Remove.

What is this, asks the gentle reader of this missive? Simple.

(1)
GATHER baseball bats from storage
(2)
DISTRACT said Obnoxious Vomitus Maximus (Video Footage of Critical Tits 2001?)
(3)
DIRECT OVM to barstool on large plastic tarp in front of distraction screen,
(4)
APPLY bats to head of OVM repeatedly
(5)
DISCARD OVM into nearest JOTS - face first.(But only after making sure OVM is carrying no baby wipes or other foreign material)
(6)
REMOVE tarp for later storage and disposal. (leaves no moop!)

This method is approved for use by the Apokiliptika State Buerau of Eugenics, Mayhem, and Moral & Dental Hygine.

bb

Ron

Post by Ron » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:46 pm

Badger wrote:Remember though some exclusionary camps / groups are that way for good reason.

Usually damn good one(s).

Indeed, the burn itself is exclusionary. Try to get in without a ticket, or stay in after you piss off enough of the right folk off by way of two easy examples. Seems to me like "radical inclusion," really means to just get the number of reasons why someone might be excluded to the lowest number possible, and that ain't zero, as far as I can see.

As for dealing with doing that excluding, we've had to tell two former camp members they weren't welcome with us over the years. One, a male, was booted out when he struck a woman camp member during an argument, in front of many witnesses. Another was told she couldn't camp with us because her drinking was out of control. In both of those cases the message was delivered as directly, compassionately, and in as fact based way as possible.

So I'm all for some exclusion. But what do I know? I couldn't make a profit at porn....

Ron

Badger

Post by Badger » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:49 pm

Try to get in without a ticket, or stay in after you piss off enough of the right folk off by way of two easy examples. Seems to me like "radical inclusion," really means to just get the number of reasons why someone might be excluded to the lowest number possible, and that ain't zero, as far as I can see.
I pretty much agree with you Ron. As someone who has been involved in a fair number of evictions at the event I can tell you that in every case I can think of the eviction was due either wholly or in part to individuals who 1) assumed that 'radical inclusion' could be interpreted to mean an absence of a social contract or 2) they were somehow above or beyond the tenet of not interfering with other's experience.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Return to “2006 Art & Performance”