Looking for Camp of minimum 48 people to Collaborate with me

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.
kevin

Looking for Camp of minimum 48 people to Collaborate with me

Post by kevin » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:49 am

48 Macintosh Computer Helmets For Burning Man Camp

"Hope and Fear: The Future"

I am a conceptual artist looking for a group of 48 people to wear the shell of a Macintosh computer on their heads. I have 48 cleaned out plastic shells of a the old luggable macs in the back of my truck and will deliver them to someone in san francisco. I am Moving and need to find a place to store them untill burning man. I am giving these helmets to the person who will be in charge of getting all 48 of them worn, if only for 15 minutes, at burning man.

This project is about learning how to cope with the end of the 20th century by embracing the roots of our virtual identities. This collective effort/performance will be both a nostalgic act and a literal objectification of our cyborg-ness. (Cyborg means: A human who has certain physiological processes aided or controlled by mechanical or electronic devices.)

In 1984 Macintosh was introduced. Please follow this link and see what Sara Stein wrote about the ad. You can also view the Ad here.

http://www.uiowa.edu/~commstud/adclass/1984_mac_ad.html

We are questioning the 'freedom' we have been granted by the p.c. while paying homage to it.

Wearing these computers on our heads, in a large group will be the acceptance of our fate as cyborgs. It will also be elevating the now quaint, obsolete, and in retrospect ominous object, out of the realm of 'stuff' and into the place it has always wanted to be. With it's anthropoid-centric design it always wanted to be a head controlling a body. Now we will give it its day. Mind you it has been disemboweled, it's innards melted into new objects with only the shell of its physical soul left to be worn. Worn by us. The robots. The cyborgs. The Mac Heads.

I am looking for a camp who will wear these objects at burning man as a group, for an hour, for a night, each night, what ever. The final art piece for me will be the documentation of the camp's meanderings - While being a Mac Head.

kevin

Post by kevin » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:59 pm

I forgot to mention I've been going to burning man every year for ten years but will not be able to make it this year. I don't want it to seem like I'm trying to control the outcome of the 'performance' either. Who ever gets them can do what ever they want with them. I just want these things to get worn out there by a big group of burners. A friend of mine will document the process.

I can send pics of the old macs to anyone who is interested.

kevin

They went to the dump

Post by kevin » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:29 pm

All but 8 of the helmets were disposed of today. No place to store them.
boo hoo.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:44 pm

I'm sorry I didn't see this before now. Not that I'm able to commit to that many Mac-Heads, but it seems like a great project.

I know of 7-8 people that may just be willing to sign on, if the 8 you've got aren't already spoken for/committed at this point.

Return to “2006 Art & Performance”