Advice on Hauling Band Gear around Playa?

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.
amyerin

Advice on Hauling Band Gear around Playa?

Post by amyerin » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:04 pm

We are a 4-person band (2 virgins, 2 veterans) bringing our instruments to the Playa for the first time this year, and we're planning to play in a number of different camps. We're brainstorming on the best way to get our band gear around the Playa (drum kit, stand-up bass, guitar, maybe one or two amps - we can do acoustic or, if we could make it work, a little amplified), but we don't have the resources or time left to build and outfit a Mutant Vehicle, esp. since pre-reg deadline is only 3 weeks away.

Anyone have any advice or stories to share on how they get their band gear from stage to stage without a vehicle? We've thought of multiple bicycle trailers, or outfitting a single-axle trailer and hoping to find some generous Mutant Vehicle owners to tow... we originally dreamed of making a flat-bed trailer to be a roaming stage that we could play on, but life got in the way we're out of time and money for that.

Any thoughts, suggestions? You can find me at [email protected].

thank you and sweet dreams,
Amy Erin

Zhust
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Mega bicycle trailer

Post by Zhust » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:44 am

How about making a small bicycle trailer with a standard car hitch on it then using a small-for-a-car trailer to move things around. The playa is flat, so weight is just a matter of getting it rolling. And stopping.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:47 am

We haul stuff behind our four-wheeled bike on a modified garden cart, the heavy duty green mesh type. They make them with sides too, and a bit larger. Don't know if it would be big enough for you, but maybe more than one, one for each bike would do?

Dork

Post by Dork » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:02 am

I'd probably try to buy or build some sort of large wheel car capable of being pulled by hand or by bike. I'm thinking hand trucks. They don't need to be fancy and doesn't need to carrying everything in one trip though that would be nice I suppose.. The drum kit sounds bulky.

But.. certainly don't be afraid to start flagging down art cars. The worst they can do is tell you they don't have enough room or are on their way somewhere else. You might even get some fellow riders to help load/unload.

blyslv

Re: Advice on Hauling Band Gear around Playa?

Post by blyslv » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:22 pm

amyerin wrote: and hoping to find some generous Mutant Vehicle owners to tow... Amy Erin
You've heard of the barter economy? At least several years ago the BMOrg was pushing it as the Next Really Neat-o Thing (but then saw something sparkly and went to check it out). But this is a perfect opportunity to hone your MAD barter skillz. It will get you out and about, flagging down vehicles and stuff. It's also a bit of cultrue jamming, becasse I've noticed many burners are uncomfortable discussing value and exchanges for value. So have it, I would think a command perfomrance is worth at least several playa traverses.
Fight for the fifth freedom!

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:10 pm

carry it upon your broken backs of wage slaves you capitalist pigs!

HAIL COMMUNISM! HAIL PEOPLE'S LIBERATION!

ThePikey

Post by ThePikey » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:11 pm

I was just going to suggest a little red Radio Flyer wagon. Between what you can carry yourself plus pull along behind you, you should be set. For that matter, if you still have too much to tote, ask for help from the camps you'll be performing for - seems fair enough, anyways.

Return to “2006 Art & Performance”