Camp Katrina

karine

Camp Katrina

Post by karine » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:20 pm

The playa wouldn't be the playa this year without a Camp Katrina!
The Burners Without Borders crew - a reunion - and antics from the camp which stayed together in consecutive days longer than all the days of all the burns put together. Whoa.

hunter S

Post by hunter S » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:34 pm

Just a question? in "05" on 7:30 a wonderfull group staged a "road closed sewer work ahead" project! would that be your camp? the saftey vest photo makes me wonder?
Objects behind you may appeare larger than reality!

karine

Post by karine » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:42 pm

Camp Katrina is a coalition camp from the Burners Without Borders - not sure of the exact location yet, maybe others can speak up on that
in the future.
The Burners Without Borders spent 4 months in Biloxi and 2 months in Pearlington Mississippi doing disaster relief work. You can see their link at
http://www.burnerswithoutborders.org

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:22 pm

Some of us stayed for less than a week. Others stayed a few weeks. In fact, our particular group pretty much mandated that no one should stay longer than a month.

In any case, I think it makes for a good idea to have something where people who went down can meet and hang but honestly, the idea of a camp makes me somewhat skeptical in that my gut screams 'clique.'

Just sayin'

Necco

Post by Necco » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:49 pm

Who cares if it's their little "clique?" There's nothing with a group of people with a shared experience who want to camp together. Sheesh - what's with with everybody griping about how people want to camp this year? I'm talking about the hullabaloo over the V-Camp on a previous post.

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:52 pm

Necco wrote:Who cares if it's their little "clique?" There's nothing with a group of people with a shared experience who want to camp together. Sheesh - what's with with everybody griping about how people want to camp this year? I'm talking about the hullabaloo over the V-Camp on a previous post.
I think everyone needs to remember that only constructive criticism is really helpful. If someone doesn't want to particpate, just say that (or nothing).
It's what you make it.

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:17 pm

Isotopia wrote:In fact, our particular group pretty much mandated that no one should stay longer than a month.
just curious, why is that?

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:25 pm

Jungle rot? Cabin fever?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:28 pm

i was thinking burnout.

i will make cabin fever my second choice...

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:29 pm

Lack of social skills perhaps? Can't keep that core negativity suppressed for longer than 30 days?

Sorry, but with 3+ years of posts of his to fall back on to make my point the comment was simply stating the obvious.

Moving off from that 30 days would max out many people's vacation time so it's likely that could be the deciding factor.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:07 am

Fuck you.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:55 am

It's good to know the truth still packs a punch. Thanks for the validation Bob.

And back on topic I hope there is a Camp Katrina this year. Considering all the effort that group put into helping it will make it easier for people like me to find those people to say thank you to.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

CagedKitty

Post by CagedKitty » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:07 am

Quote/
Just a question? in "05" on 7:30 a wonderfull group staged a "road closed sewer work ahead" project! would that be your camp? the saftey vest photo makes me wonder?
/unquote

I saw Dan the man from "Save the Man" dressed like that there. It's probably a secret though.
Where have I been all my life?

karine

Post by karine » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:14 pm

Thanks for the "Thanks"! It took a LOT of people, burners and not yet burners, to get the work done that BWB did in the Gulf Coast.

And if there was any confusion- it was not necessarily the same people working as one team for the whole six months. There were many, many volunteers. The preference was, that someone could stay a week (at least) and many decided then to stay longer.

The "average" amount of people in camp was about 20.

There was however, a small crew that was involved (like our excavator operator) and stayed for the entire duration. No shit.

And all the thanks in the world, to you other burners (and not yet burners) who helped support the team. None of this would have happened without every single one of you!

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:05 pm

And back on topic I hope there is a Camp Katrina this year.
It's my understanding that it’s a sure thing. No word yet on camp placement, but if I hear anything I'll post it here. This will be a heavy burn for a lot of folks. It'll be the first anniversary of Katrina and many people at the burn were directly effected by that hurricane. So I think it’s a good thing that there will be a place to come and have a direct interaction with something relevant to it. I'm hearing of some neat art projects that will incorporate items and pictures from Mississippi... maybe facilitate healing and discussion.

Looking forward to it.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

karine

Post by karine » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:20 pm

I was thinking of "badges" that BWB members could have earned...

P.E. Badge: Paddle Extraction (pulling debris out of swamps with paddle)

Demo Badge: House Demolition

Trebuchet 101 Badge: Complete construction of a Trebuchet

Poi Badge: For "best of" Fire Poi

Interweb Badge: Making 'Interweb' happen w/ solar panels & cellular router in Disaster Area - with extra brownie points for trade for insight in local ethol alcohol distallation techniques.

DJ Badge: Making music spin 24/7 (Love to all our DJ's!)

Beer Run Badge: (self explanatory) *Extra Star for PBR*, *more than 2 cases* and *21st Bday* (Travel over 20 miles)

Nail Pulling Badge: Over 21,000 served!

Knife Throwing Badge: 9 or more direct hits and sticks in a row! (Sorry gentlemen!)

Spoon Award: Making it through ChickenFest and BaconMania

Excavator Award: also known as the "Raaahhhhhhhhhh!" Badge.

Wide Turn Emblem: Anyone hauling the equipment back to Gerlach.

Moop Sculpture Award: Discarded Debris Assemblages for Saturday Night Burns.

stargirl

Post by stargirl » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:10 pm

Oh, those badges are good, Karine!
How about.......

Gnat Bite Endurance Badge: The scars prove the whole BWB experience wasn't just a dream

Moonshine Master Taster Badge: How many flavors did you try?

Fascinating Find Badge: For all of those interesting little treasures revealed in the sludge of yard clean-ups. (Some of which will make it to the playa this year!)

Community Art Outreach Badge: For inspiring the locals to create beauty from ashes.

Thanks for starting this thread, Karine.

karine

Post by karine » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:02 pm

Those were GREAT!

I guess Lisa and Cathy are working on a slide show! That will be fun to see!

Have you seen Thumper's latest souvenir? And what a great pic!

Oh - and Andy's link to this cross between a tank and a wheelchair?
http://www.tankchair.com/

Our little wheelchairs on the playa will not even compare.

Badger

Post by Badger » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:33 am

Isotopia wrote:
In fact, our particular group pretty much mandated that no one should stay longer than a month.
just curious, why is that?
Burnout. You hit it right on the head Spectab. Initially when we went down there we were pretty much on our own with little time to set up a strong, cohesive group given our size. We worked well together but we worked pretty hard and at the end of the day all any of us wanted to do was sleep. Exhaustion and burnout were the two things we KNEW were looming on the horizon so our group was pretty much told to count on 30 days. If you burn out down there you are of no use to anyone - even after you return home. Personally, I think it's a good practice but one that can be open for flexibility.
Desert dogs drink deep.

karine

Post by karine » Wed May 24, 2006 8:47 pm

Plans are definitely well underway!

There is a BWB message board for members to talk amongst themselves and plan the camp, et cetera- So if anyone who helped out down there, & wants to know more information , just send me a private message and I'll hook you up.

p.s.
I really wonder if we're REALLY going to have a crab boil. That would be sooo much fun. You konw, it's really too sad that crawfish are out of season for the burn! But a crab boil would be the next best thing...

Anybody want to help me out with this, PM me as well!

karine

Post by karine » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:54 pm

ooooh! I had missed this link:

http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=12809

Thanks, Tom LaPorte!

(((that link will lead you to....)))

http://www.thefeedlot.org/vikingyouth/s ... &x=19&y=14

This week the Viking Youth Power Hour is joined by water department spokesman, and Burning Man Information Radio's volunteer, Tom LaPorte.
Tom recently made a trip down to Pearlington, Mississippi where he spent a week with the victims of Hurricane Katrina and a group of Burning Man participants who, after the burn this year, picked up and moved their playa-based operation to Pearlington in order to help provide food, fire, demolition services and the unique burner sense of community service and dedication to work. Calling themselves Burners Without Borders, this group has dedicated the better part of the last 8 months to sharing the skills they have honed on the playa with the people of first Biloxi - rebuilding a Buddhist Temple - and now Pearlington.
We discuss the heartbreaking loss Tom witnessed while he was down there, but also the inspiring perspectives of people who were forced to rebuild their lives from amongst the rubble of what was once their beloved town.
We are offered a rare opportunity as Tom gives us the first chance to hear some of the interviews he collected while in Pearlington and that he will be using as part of his hour long radio documentary which will be published later this month.
It's incredible to see the ethos and the elbow grease so many of us experience on the playa validating itself and coalescing in a kind of service that may become increasingly necessary in the coming years. Of all our work to date, this is perhaps the Viking Youth episode that has made me most proud. Our hearts and our hope go out to all the victim's of Hurricane Katrina and all the wonderful people helping these people to put their lives together again stronger than it was before.
Edited by Brian, closing music is "Home" by Six Organs of Admittance.

karine

Post by karine » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:39 pm

*bump*

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:52 pm

So what's the latest Camp Katrina rumors?? Where will they be? What will the art look like? Is there going to be the video presentation I've heard about?

Give, give karine!!!
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

karine

Post by karine » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:17 pm

any one who wants to join our private discussion group, send me a PM (private message) and we'll get you in the link!

Return to “2006 Theme Camps”